UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Machida: Winner deserves a title shot

2/12/13 11:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida believes the winner of his UFC 157 co-main event bout with Dan Henderson should be next in line for a title shot.

“I believe, out of this fight, whoever wins should definitely be the contender for the title.  If we’re number one and number two then the title shot should definitely be on the line in this fight,” Machida said on a UFC 157 conference call on Tuesday.

Machida on Tuesday said the time just wasn’t right to take the bout at the time.

“I obviously wanted a title shot a lot, but it wasn’t the right situation.  I had about 20 days to prepare for the fight, and Jon Jones had been training for two or three months, so it wasn’t the right time.  I was upset, but everything happens for a reason and hopefully I’ll get back on top this year,” said Machida.

read entire article...

2/12/13 11:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yellow c0ckahlc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rrefs - Winner of Gustaffson vs Mousasi should fight winner of Machida vs Hendo.

That's killing two big fights.

The way it should go is Gustafsson getting the winner of Sonnen/Jones, should Hendo fail to defeat Machida.

Lyoto already got his shot. Gustaffsson has earned his.

2/13/13 12:36 AM
tonytr

Agreed. I'm a huge Machida fan, but if he beats Hendo, and if Gus beats Mousasi, that'll be 8 in a row for Gus (three over tough/top guys) and therefore hard to deny him. However, if Machida and Mousasi win, give it to Machida.
2/13/13 12:52 AM
Addo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a huge Machida fan, i say give it to gus if he wins. I desperately want Lyoto to get another shot, but he will, and if he doesnt REALLY make it count it will be his last. Although hes prob got a nifty career at MW ahead of him if he does lose i think he desperately wants to wear the strap at LHW again
2/13/13 1:45 AM
Addo
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gamer - 
Addo - As a huge Machida fan, i say give it to gus if he wins. I desperately want Lyoto to get another shot, but he will, and if he doesnt REALLY make it count it will be his last. Although hes prob got a nifty career at MW ahead of him if he does lose i think he desperately wants to wear the strap at LHW again

Agreed. Really hope Shogun can fight for the belt one more time too

Would be cool for sure, but if Jones is champ eh idk. Just don t see it going any differently.
2/13/13 1:47 AM
Addo

Tons would say the same for Machida though of course.
2/13/13 1:51 AM
vaginal tear
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

By winner you mean Hendo then yes. If by some fluke of nature the karate kid wins. Then no. Phone Post
2/13/13 2:48 AM
MdGeist

Edited: 02/13/13 2:48 AM

Out of Hendo/Machida and Gus/Mousasi, the titleshot should be given to the winner who puts on the more impressive performace/finish.

More than likely, Jones will beat Sonnen. JBJ has gotten two easy title defenses in a row, so picking the next challenger should come down to the winner who actually has the best chance of beating Jones rather than the guy who feels he's some how entitled to get the titleshot.

2/13/13 11:32 AM
epwar
541 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uh, Machida, didn't you just turn down a title shot like 6 months ago?

2/13/13 11:43 AM
caseharts
513 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc -
rrefs - Winner of Gustaffson vs Mousasi should fight winner of Machida vs Hendo.

That's killing two big fights.

The way it should go is Gustafsson getting the winner of Sonnen/Jones, should Hendo fail to defeat Machida.

Lyoto already got his shot. Gustaffsson has earned his.

Mousasi is beating gustaf Phone Post
2/13/13 12:34 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course they do. Both were told by the UFC and the UFC made it public that they were the top contenders and neither have lost since. They are the top 2 contenders in the division, how couldn't they get the title shot? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.