UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Olympics Will Regret Dropping Wrestling..Forbes

2/13/13 7:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ken amtrack
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

US Wrestling Olympic Trials, April 21, 2012 in Iowa City, Iowa. (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)
Even in a post-Lance world, word today that the International Olympic Committee had decided today to cut wrestling from the 2020 games came across as a craven stunner. And I won’t be surprised when they back down.
It’s not that I’m a huge wrestling fan. I’m not. But nor am I a regular fan of bobsledding, field hockey, rowing, hammer throw, or, for that matter, gymnastics or Alpine skiing or the 100 meter dash or swimming. At least not normally. And neither are you.
But come the Olympics, I’m totally absorbed in all of these. That’s the point. The more obscure the better. During London, I caught the Dream Team pounding some poor, hapless hopeful before they lined up for autographs. But that’s hardly sport.
I spent a lot more time — thanks to NBC’s excellent iPad app–watching things I absolutely don’t care about at any other time. I spent nearly an entire afternoon watching fencing. And another watching archery. I introduced my tiny daughter to field hockey–and air rifle (that was a bit of a stretch for a 2 year old. You can’t even tell the guns are firing. Lots of quizzical looks at dad.) And yeah, I saw a lot of online advertising during all of that, and didn’t mind (much).
Once they snuffed that flame, though, I folded my fandom like a pup tent, and hiked away, like I always do, forgetting even the most marquee events until next time around. And so did you.
Proof? Take swimming, that most telegenic and Golden of all summer Olympic sports. During the last summer games, NBC devoted a hefty slice of their 272 prime-time hours to the sport, pumping up the drama of Michael Phelps last games, and so on.
Jump ahead to February, 2013. If you feel like watching some swimming (and you don’t) –it will take some work. It can be done, mind you. You can hunt up the live streams of some competitions online. Or you can dig deep into your cable guide. Deep. Like down to whatever 4-digit channel they run the Universal Sports Network on in your neck of the woods. If you can find it, the 2013 Arena Grand Prix at Orlando starts airing — Live! — on February 15. But you won’t do that. Because you don’t care right now. Because this is not the Olympics.
What about gymnastics? That’s a bit more high profile, even in a non-Olympic year. How high? The 2013 American Cup will get TWO FULL HOURS of coverage from NBC on March 2. Wheaties box? We’ll save that for the Games, thanks much.
What I’m saying is that obscurity and low viewership are pretty relative terms by which to measure Olympic sports. By killing wrestling, a sport that has appeared in every game since 1896, the dullards who man the programming calendar at the IOC are going further than they ever have before in showing that they don’t understand their product (and that’s a ways).
Memo to the IOC: No matter what you think, you’re not marketing the NBA, guys. You’re selling the not-NBA (or the illusion of that, at least). The marketability of the Olympics is the whole — the whole exotic, rare, authentic athletic experience where we viewers from all over the world come together to watch nobodies become somebodies for two weeks every two years. And while we are smiling at our TVs, you show us the polar bears and we buy the Cokes. Duh.
By losing wrestling, they’ll lose some of that halo. And in a age of 24-7 SportsCenter, of PEDs and millionaire athlete perks, that halo is a powerful product differentiator for fans and advertisers–the only one the Rings really have anymore.
I’m not worried, though. I give this decision less than a year. Why? Because people who don’t care at all about wrestling–like me–will care about it now. Why? Because this is the Olympics. And it’ll be a little less without it. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:13 AM
ken amtrack

Edit...I’m not worried, though. I give this decision less than a year. Why? Because people who don’t care at all about wrestling–like me–will care about it now. Why? Because this is the Olympics. And it’ll be a little less without it. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:14 AM
Tylervic
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling is an American sport mainly so it's fair to drop it unless they put afl into olympics that would be sick. Phone Post
2/13/13 7:17 AM
ken amtrack

Good luck Tylervic..oh mercy!! Phone Post
2/13/13 7:26 AM
icarus92

Tylervic -  Wrestling is an American sport mainly so it's fair to drop it unless they put afl into olympics that would be sick. Phone Post

You are an incredibly uninformed individual.
2/13/13 7:27 AM
maxbrothersinc
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BareBackMountain - now if only MMA could drop wrestling

derpy derp derp derrpa!
2/13/13 7:28 AM
ken amtrack

"now if only MMA could drop wrestling"..Bucky??? Phone Post
2/13/13 7:50 AM
Jons Forsberg

icarus92 - 
Tylervic -  Wrestling is an American sport mainly so it's fair to drop it unless they put afl into olympics that would be sick. Phone Post

2/13/13 8:34 AM
Lux Fixxins

icarus92 -

Yup Phone Post
2/13/13 8:36 AM
MentaL
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/13/13 8:36 AM

you know wrestling is a global sport, right? you narrow minded buffoon. 

2/13/13 8:38 AM
Pessimist_Pete

Has to be one of the worst articles I've read Phone Post
2/13/13 9:07 AM
6ULDV8

I think the opposite.  Good article and thanks for posting.

2/13/13 9:09 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those Iranians and Russian speakers are pretty good at the Murican sport of rasslin

2/13/13 9:20 AM
ZzFDKzZ

Tylervic - Wrestling is an American sport mainly so it's fair to drop it unless they put afl into olympics that would be sick. Phone Post
Lmao @ wrestling is only an American sport. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:27 AM
GMan99
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am betting that Tylervic was trolling and you all took the bait.
2/13/13 9:31 AM
pennviachoke
1051 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill never watch the Olympics again because of this...it pisses me the fuck off honestly. The goddamned IOC and the Olympics are both fucking jokes anyhow. Phone Post
2/13/13 9:37 AM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"nor am I a regular fan of [...] Alpine skiing [..] At least not normally. And neither are you."

Wtf, alpine skiing is the shit. Downhill is outrageous. People skiing for time reaching 150 km/h.. uuh yeah, that's worth watching, actually.

Also, unpopular opinion, but winter olympics > summer olympics.
2/13/13 9:55 AM
BigWilliam
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The winter olympics are a joke.

Honestly if they go through with this I might just ignore the Olympics entirely on general principles. They don't care a whit for sport any more. Golf? Badminton? 90 fucking swimming events? Yeah that captures the spirit of competition. Anything that is a suggested form of exercise for the ELDERLY can fuck off.
2/13/13 11:45 AM
bhealthy

it was a smart move considering advertisers will sell more cadillacs and wine coolers during golf than they would pushing TRT, Pos-T-vacs, and antidepression drugs during wrestling
2/13/13 11:52 AM
FOX Force Five
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Anything that is a suggested form of exercise for the ELDERLY can fuck off. "

LMAO brilliant!
2/13/13 12:18 PM
ToneB
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

turn in your membership and leave before you humiliate yourself further
2/13/13 12:31 PM
Brabatross

Who cares about the summer Olympics anyway, the winter Olympics is where its at.
2/13/13 2:17 PM
bhealthy

pilates is IN
2/13/13 2:21 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tylervic - Wrestling is an American sport mainly so it's fair to drop it unless they put afl into olympics that would be sick. Phone Post
Not even remotely true Phone Post
2/13/13 2:48 PM
Matt Perry

icarus92 -

This. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.