UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> judo newbie question

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/13/13 8:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GoldenArms202
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts in DC News

I'm a bjj guy just starting judo.  I noticed by watching judo tournaments that when a guy misses a throw, sometimes they engage in ground grappling and sometimes the ref calls matte and they start from the standing position. How do you know when the engage in ground grappling in a tournament?

Also, I've heard you cannot touch the face of your opponent in judo.  Can you do a cross choke with the gi and also can you touch the face to setup a rear naked choke?

Thank you!

2/13/13 9:36 AM
SlapUsilly
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Different refs, different rules regarding continuing into groundwork.

Regarding choking..All i can tell you is that tucking in the chin is a legit defense in judo since you can't choke across the face like you're allowed to in BJJ tournaments.
2/13/13 8:55 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can engage in ground work until the ref calls matte. You engage in standup until the ref calls matte also. It is not a requirement to engage in mat work. If you are behind in the score matwork utilizes time that may result in no score and you avoid it. If you are ahead in the score mat work uses up time to your advantage. Sometimes the opponents are so tireddue to a grueling fight they don't have the energy to engage in mat work or they know an opponent is very good on the ground or their standup game is better than their ground game. Many factors to consider. You can't touch the face to set up chokes. And you can't have the gi across the face trying to choke. YOu can't touch the face to set up a rear naked choke. I think the rule is you can't touch the face. You get a shito penalty if you do so it isn't a major penalty. Your opponent will not like it though.
2/14/13 8:16 AM
GoldenArms202
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts in DC News

Thanks for clearing things up.  Will have to work on modifying my game for judo ground techniques.

2/14/13 8:19 PM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can tell you working on your throwing techniques will advance your judo game in the long run. Your BJJ background will help you(put you at an advantage in the beginning/novice levels of judo, (white,green, blue belt)where many of the fights go to the ground due to the lack of throwing skills. We have BJJ guys who have 3-5 years BJJ experience( some purple belts) fighting in the novice and beating their opponents on the ground mostly. Many times a yuko score but a pin results from the skirmmish. Glad you learning judo.
2/15/13 6:39 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The actual rule for groundwork is that as long as you are making progress, the groundwork can continue. But, as some have mentioned, it is up to the discretion of the ref, so it varies in reality.

There are plenty of guys I have trained with that are very skilled and aggressive on the ground, but it really depends on how you have trained.

As far as chokes go: its been covered, you can't go across the face or apply pressure to the windpipe (air chokes not allowed, blood chokes allowed). I have had no problems using the top of the head/forehead to make room for chokes, but I haven't competed much yet. So it may have just been a lenient ref.
2/16/13 9:49 AM
judoblackbelt

PK618- Hadaka jime (windpipe choke) is legal, restricting the flow of air to the lungs. 2 weeks ago I got choked out with this from turtle. Nasty choke to say the least.
3/5/13 4:56 PM
PK618
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - PK618- Hadaka jime (windpipe choke) is legal, restricting the flow of air to the lungs. 2 weeks ago I got choked out with this from turtle. Nasty choke to say the least.

That's good to know. I I know chokes can cross the windpipe is fine, but I was under the impression that air chokes were not ok, but blood chokes were fine. But I am beginning to think that was me misunderstanding the rule in some way. Maybe I just heard you can't guillotine or something.
3/5/13 5:56 PM
judoblackbelt

The problem with the guillotine choke is if you pull(crank downward) the head down to bring the choke on. There is a rule in judo that states: To make any action which may endanger or injure the opponent especially the opponent’s neck or spinal vertebrae, or may be against the spirit of Judo. This is a major infraction and you DQ'd for the match. That is why you have to learn judo techniques that are similar to what you learned in BJJ that are legal. I guarentee you there are enogh judo techniques out there to learn to beat you opponent from any situation you may encounter in judo. The rules are there to make the sport as safe as possible and not injure your training partner(s) unnecessarily.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.