UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Hadn't worked out for six months and started again

2/13/13 10:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Yamie Jagerbomb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stopped working out last August and began again last Monday. I went from 200 pounds in pretty good shape to 211 out of shape. I'm 6'2

I used to work out with weight 4 days a week and cardio 3 days. I've estarted same routine and would like to put muscle back on but I need to lose the extra fat I've accumulated.

What type of diet do I need to follow so that my body gets what it needs for my muscles to grow - yet, I can lose some weight too?
2/13/13 2:30 PM
Taku
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of...Congratulations for getting back into it!

If your main goal is to lose fat, then you must control total calories coming into the system. That being said, for many people the first, and best thing to do is just make better food choices. Then, look at total calories.

It can help to create a free account on one of the many nutrition tracking web-sites such as fitday.com. myfitnesspal, livestrong, etc. By tracking everything you eat for at least a week (and weighing yourself daily) you can get an idea of what you current calorie consumption is.

If your weight is stable, then you know your current calorie intake is going to maintain that weight. So...you need to cut some calories somewhere. Carbs are not evil, however most folks over consume on simple carbs, this is why so many start with carb elimination and or control. 

Make sure you have adequate protein from whole food sources, a little fruits and veggies...your good to go.

Here is a calorie counting sheet I created to help with this sort of thing. Just print it out and put it on your fridge so you have an idea of what your eating.

Calorie counter

Hope all of that helps.

TAKU

2/13/13 2:40 PM
CMX
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck im in the same boat but a year longer layoff, last thing i did was a boxing smoker June 2011, I was 168 for that , today im 212, been back at the gym for 2 weeks doing 5 3 1, feels good to be back doing something Phone Post
2/13/13 3:11 PM
shootfighterbull

CMX - Good luck im in the same boat but a year longer layoff, last thing i did was a boxing smoker June 2011, I was 168 for that , today im 212, been back at the gym for 2 weeks doing 5 3 1, feels good to be back doing something Phone Post
Stick to it! 5 3 1 is a great program. I've been doing it for 4 months now and ive seen steady improvement in all 4 lifts. Phone Post
2/13/13 4:14 PM
CMX
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks !! I am enjoying it plus i am tracking every workout which is something i have never done! Phone Post
2/14/13 1:11 AM
Yamie Jagerbomb

CMX -  Good luck im in the same boat but a year longer layoff, last thing i did was a boxing smoker June 2011, I was 168 for that , today im 212, been back at the gym for 2 weeks doing 5 3 1, feels good to be back doing something Phone Post

Thanks to everyone that responded...this forum is quite refreshing...I'm used to stuff like "eat a dick" or "workout your mom, i did", etc. in the UG or OG

Can anyone recommend a website that also works as an app on iPhone to keep track of calories/nutrition?

2/14/13 8:40 AM
CMX

fitday is very simple to use and usually a big eye opener about what you are trully eating Phone Post
2/14/13 1:12 PM
RedDragonUK
335 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Great info Phone Post
2/14/13 1:51 PM
dizz
506 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fitday for sure
2/21/13 8:24 AM
TheRealMattyS
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what is this 5 3 1? Phone Post
2/21/13 12:23 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheRealMattyS -  what is this 5 3 1? Phone Post

Jim Wendler's 531.

http://www.jimwendler.com/

There you go.
2/22/13 10:14 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/13 10:16 AM
RobinHood - 

Follow the powerful Mike Dolce Diet.

I think I'm going to order his books this weekend.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.