UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Couture: Hughes job an FU from DFW

2/13/13 12:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture recently appeared on SiriusXM Fight Club, and discussed his estrangement from the organization

"I gave the UFC and Dana every opportunity to find a way to significantly use me since I retired a year and a half ago," said Couture. "They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me the four events on FOX a year as a commentator. In my opinion and estimation, not a terribly significant role in the organization, and the company of Zuffa.

"So I tried like hell to get them to keep me with the company in some significant way and they had nothing for me. I made them aware that this offer had come onto the table, that the TV thing was heating up for me, that there were significant offers being pushed to me, but I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement to even hear those pitches and could not tell them specifically what was going on or who was offering what.

"So, you know, in my professional estimation, they had an opportunity to keep me and use me. They chose not to, and a week later, after this whole thing leaks, they give a job to Matt Hughes in a significant fashion. Frankly that was a big f@#% you to me from Dana. And that's exactly what he intended to do."

"That's the way it felt to me. I've been trying for over a year to get them to use me in some way, shape or form, and they chose not to. They didn't have anything for me. They continually told me that. And then Matt announces his retirement, and within a week has a Vice President position for fighter relations.

"You tell me."

Listen to entire interview...
Read entire article...

What do you think UG?

Was the VP position for Hughes a doubtless long planned reward for a career of extraordinary loyalty and success like that bestowed upon Chuck Liddell? Or was it a snap decision to slap Randy Couture? Or was it long planned, but the timing was designed to insult?

2/13/13 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so he signed an NDA, but then breached it by telling the UFC of the offer?

2/13/13 12:05 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

also by "use me", he means "pay me"

2/13/13 12:09 PM
bryanand
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy seems like a gigantic pain in the ass, Hughes was always a company man who never caused problems. It's pretty clear why Dana would prefer to have guys like Hughes and Chack work for the UFC and not guys like Randy and Tito.

Wand will be working for the UFC one day as an executive too for the same reason.

It's not a knock on Randy, it's just who he is.
2/13/13 12:11 PM
grafzep
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bryanand - Randy seems like a gigantic pain in the ass, Hughes was always a company man who never caused problems. It's pretty clear why Dana would prefer to have guys like Hughes and Chack work for the UFC and not guys like Randy and Tito.

Wand will be working for the UFC one day as an executive too for the same reason.

Yep, why give a job to a guy you had to sue.
2/13/13 12:16 PM
Wicked smahtMF

big mistake on Zuffa's part. They should have given Randy a decent offer to keep an icon, which they nurtured and invested in for years, within their org. Really? 4 spots a year for capt fucking america? uve got Kenny Florian everywhere u look and 4 is the best u can do. sounds to me like Randy did everything he could, short of breaching contracts, to make Zuffa aware of what was coming down the pipe.
2/13/13 12:16 PM
Phisher

grafzep - 
bryanand - Randy seems like a gigantic pain in the ass, Hughes was always a company man who never caused problems. It's pretty clear why Dana would prefer to have guys like Hughes and Chack work for the UFC and not guys like Randy and Tito.

Yep, why give a job to a guy you had to sue.

Why piss and moan when a guy that you don't think is a team player and don't plan on using in any significant manner goes and gets paid somewhere else?

2/13/13 12:18 PM
MentaL
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he appears on Fox (on a large global scale) 4 times a year which would help increase his PR and that is some how a bad thing? Oh well, Bellator will help him greatly then. 

2/13/13 12:22 PM
UGSlapshot

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -

so he signed an NDA, but then breached it by telling the UFC of the offer?

That's not what he said...

He said he was going to have to sign to see the offer and told Dana as much.

I understand why Randy is butthurt hell even dana but I can't understand why Dana is so vindictive, guys a asshole. Phone Post
2/13/13 12:23 PM
Snake_Pliskan
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mychiclooksgood -  Stop it Randy Phone Post

He'’s acting like he didn’t burn a bridge earlier with Dana. Dana has shown the ability to forgive in the name of doing business, but I don’t think he is handing out the cush Lidell type VP of pulling your pud jobs to anyone but the core guys that have always done it the way the UFC wanted.

Rich Frankiln probably has a VP of grabbing ass position available if he wants it when he retires, but I doubt Randy was ever considered for the role…..that bridge was burnt.
2/13/13 12:24 PM
stevekt
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy Couture - UFC Vice President of Fashion Attire and Mens Fragrances Phone Post
2/13/13 12:26 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never was a Couture fan, respected him, but not a fan.

Is he really asking the general public to care about his employment situation?

Hey, Randy, I got a stack of paperwork to do later today,
you wanna call me up and I can complain to you?

Where should you take the call from? The beach house?
Mansion? Movie set?

GTFO
2/13/13 12:27 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How does Randy know the UFC haven't been waiting for Hughes to give him that job? Based purely on fighting accomplishments, Hughes deserves it more, and he was never a head case. Phone Post
2/13/13 12:28 PM
Phisher

Snake_Pliskan - 
mychiclooksgood -  Stop it Randy Phone Post

He'’s acting like he didn’t burn a bridge earlier with Dana. Dana has shown the ability to forgive in the name of doing business, but I don’t think he is handing out the cush Lidell type VP of pulling your pud jobs to anyone but the core guys that have always done it the way the UFC wanted.

Rich Frankiln probably has a VP of grabbing ass position available if he wants it when he retires, but I doubt Randy was ever considered for the role…..that bridge was burnt.

And if he wasn't planning on paying Randy his market value as an MMA personality based on previous disputes, what the fuck is up with all of the ranting and raving about what a backstabber the guy is?

All parties involved are out for themselves. This is another case of the Zuffa management, who are (rightfully) cutthroat when it comes to business dealings, feigning outrage when someone else has the nerve to make for themselves that doesn't directly enrich Zuffa.

I don't really care for Randy at all. I'm just tired of seeing  this horseshit play out over and over again.

2/13/13 12:29 PM
awesomestprime
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We've seen dozens of people and entities go up against the UFC. None have ever succeeded.

Dana gets off on crushing the opposition. It's his thing.
2/13/13 12:29 PM
JerodR
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Randy and Dana have history... Hughes seems like he is way more loyal and more of a company man than Randy. Randy will run to whoever is rubbing the coins together, where as Hughes would just go back to his farm and be perfectly happy.
2/13/13 12:30 PM
Phisher

Edited: 02/13/13 12:30 PM
Zed Wayne Zed - Never was a Couture fan, respected him, but not a fan.

Mansion? Movie set?

GTFO

If you're pissed about this drama being made public, why don't you blame Dana? He's the one who started crying about it the media and then started indirectly threatening Couture's son over something that should be a total nonissue.

2/13/13 12:30 PM
ophusker
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana has said he doesn't like RAndy and doesn't like working with him. I think it is pretty normal for anyone in a managment position to hire someone they like working with. Randy tried to screw the UFC over by leaving the org when he was heaveyweight champ.

At the time he was the big star and he had the clout to get away with those kind of things. He's no longer that valuable to the UFC and his past behavior has caught up with him. It is what it is you can act however you want in this world but all your actions have consequences. Randy put himself in this position same as guys like Ken Shamrock, Tito Ortiz etc.
2/13/13 12:32 PM
Lobo8

Them not offering him a "legit" post fighter job has to do with him trying to snake away from his contract to fight fedor. Furthermore dana doesnt seem to like randy as a person. So him not getting a good job makes sense from ufcs perspective
2/13/13 12:34 PM
UGSlapshot

Honestly I don't think it's a good intelligent ideas to give any fighter an executive position based on what they did as a fighter. Phone Post
2/13/13 12:35 PM
KevinMcAllister
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I gave the UFC and Dana every opportunity to find a way to significantly use me since I retired a year and a half ago," said Couture. "They acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me the four events on FOX a year as a commentator. In my opinion and estimation, not a terribly significant role in the organization, and the company of Zuffa."

Randy seems to have a rather inflated view if his own popularity.

I don't mean to bag on him, but I have never heard anybody, even on here, say Randy is their favourite fighter. I rarely see him mentioned in anybodys top 5 lists either.
He has had small, forgettable roles in some forgettable movies. He has one of the more bland, white bread personalities you can find anywhere on TV. He's 50. I just dont get why be thinks hes owed some major TV spot when not many people (besides Dana) appear to care what he does these days. Phone Post
2/13/13 12:38 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure how Randy's bitching helps anyone, especially Bellator. Randy should be like "Bellator is the future of MMA & I am proud to be part of it," or something like that. Saying he tried to stick around and didn't want to leave, who does that benefit?
2/13/13 12:42 PM
ophusker
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot -  Honestly I don't think it's a good intelligent ideas to give any fighter an executive position based on what they did as a fighter. Phone Post

I think it depends on what their roles will be. Pretty much every pro sports franchise has a few ex players that have cushy front office gigs. You just don't want those guys making the big decisions and running things but they are good for the fans. You can also tell current fighters they have a shot at a job like that if they stay loyal and keep on good terms.

They are more ceremonial positions then anything. Of course there is generally only room for a handful of guys to have those positions and it does create hard feelings for those that don't get them. Many athletes have a sense of entitlement and it's pretty clear that Randy does. Chuck and Matt were probably the two most loyal champs from the early Zuffa years and they got the cushy VP jobs. It is what it is. Tito used to call them turncuts and what not they were company men and he wasn't.
2/13/13 12:43 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGSlapshot -  Honestly I don't think it's a good intelligent ideas to give any fighter an executive position based on what they did as a fighter. Phone Post

Agree but I am not sure these guys are going to have much say in anything that really matters, they're probably just going to stick around and pick up a nice company paycheck. If they prove themselves in their roles I imagine they will take on more significant roles just like anyone else would. BLAF pretty much said that Chuck does jack shit, it looks like he just shows up to events when he wants for free, has full access, never has a schedule, and still gets paid. Sounds awesome.
2/13/13 12:47 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 
Zed Wayne Zed - Never was a Couture fan, respected him, but not a fan.

Mansion? Movie set?

GTFO

If you're pissed about this drama being made public, why don't you blame Dana? He's the one who started crying about it the media and then started indirectly threatening Couture's son over something that should be a total nonissue.

I'm not pissed at all.

This be the internet, serious business, y'dig?

This is how it works. Read article, state opinion.
Similar to Randy's grant interview, state opinion.

Sort of a call-and-repeat thing goin' on, baby.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.