UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW-No plans to strip Cruz title unless he retires

2/13/13 2:57 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has not fought since November of 2011. Although he recently underwent knee surgery, and his return is indefinite, the UFC has no intention of stripping him of his belt.

"If he starts training again and gets another injury that's going to take him out for a year – and I hate to even say this about the kid since he's a really good kid – but he should seriously probably look at retiring," said UFC president Dana White. "But I'm not taking something like [the title] from somebody."

"If he starts training again and gets another injury that's going to take him out for a year – and I hate to even say this about the kid since he's a really good kid – but he should seriously probably look at retiring," White said. "But I'm not taking something like [the title] from somebody.

"The way that it works in the fight business is you beat the man who beat the man. Obviously, though, if he had to retire, then [the interim titleholder] would automatically become the champion."

Read entire article...

Meanwhile, UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao fights Michael McDonald at UFC on FUEL TV 7 on Saturday in London, England.

White hopes Cruz will be ready to fight thsi summer, against the winner of Saturday's Barao vs. McDonald interim championship bout.

2/13/13 2:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Barbalos
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/13/13 2:58 PM
That first paragraph is repeated twice.

And I think they should strip him. This is exactly the reason you strip a champion, because they are out for way too long.
2/13/13 2:59 PM
UGSlapshot

I'm not big on stripping fighters of titles but come on. Phone Post
2/13/13 3:04 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with this. He earned the title so it shouldn't just be taken away because of injury if he plans to come back. Phone Post
2/13/13 3:04 PM
Gene Pitney

it would be in dom's best interests to have the belt stripped....does he really wanna face a beast like barao in his first fight back after two and a half years?
2/13/13 3:05 PM
da Vinci 81
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shitty to have to come back against the very best though right away. Gsp got by ok but not everyone will. Phone Post
2/13/13 3:09 PM
suess
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you don't defend your belt you should give it up on your own or be stripped.  even if it's not your own choice not to defend it.  

2/13/13 3:11 PM
Gene Pitney

If i was in his situation, i know it would be hard and all, but I would probably drop the belt.

it would give him a source of extra motivation that hes not champion anymore and he needs to get his belt back and work his way there again.
2/13/13 3:12 PM
epic hero

Good.

It's not up to us to decide when someone loses the title, it's up to the sport to decide...
2/13/13 3:12 PM
ChaosOverkill
370 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's gotta be a limit on shelf Champions here, the UFC is big on doing things for it's own benefit that aren't necessarily the most popular thing with the fighters, but even this one would have precedent as I think in boxing they do it.

2/13/13 3:19 PM
UGSlapshot

da Vinci 81 - I agree with this. He earned the title so it shouldn't just be taken away because of injury if he plans to come back. Phone Post
Years? You think a guy that gets injured should hold his title for two or three years without having to defend it?

Nah man that's crazy and it might be better for him to get a warm up fight before taking on the top challengers anyway. Phone Post
2/13/13 3:27 PM
MDAlex
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy One Get One Free Till March 10

I thought Champions had to defend their titles once a year minimum? Isn't that how the UFC stripped BJ Penn of his belt?

2/13/13 3:27 PM
morientesfan910
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They stripper Mir, remember Phone Post
2/13/13 3:28 PM
easedel

...WTF.

If you are out for a year without a title fight, you should be stripped of the title. Doesn't matter who you are.
2/13/13 3:33 PM
GC111

Gene Pitney - If i was in his situation, i know it would be hard and all, but I would probably drop the belt.

it would give him a source of extra motivation that hes not champion anymore and he needs to get his belt back and work his way there again.

That's the worst idea ever. It's more motivation to have the belt already and keep on to it.
2/13/13 3:37 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

morientesfan910 - They stripper Mir, remember Phone Post
They didnt think Mir was ever coming back. I believe at one point they weren't even sure he'd walk again without assistance Phone Post
2/13/13 5:38 PM
k1levelstriking
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Cruz doesn't fight this year, definitely strip him Phone Post
2/13/13 5:41 PM
The Gumball Kid

I don't think Cruz beats Renan Barao anyway
2/13/13 5:42 PM
Gooner H Smith

You can't just have a champion out indefinitely. It sucks but they need to make the decision eventually. If he cant fight he cant fight. It isn't fair to the rest of the division for the real belt to be unattainable for that long a period. 

2/13/13 5:55 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

Just set a time limit:

If you don't defend your belt within 18 months due to inability to fight (for whatever reason) you lose the belt.

Simple.

If you're the real champ you'll win it back. Phone Post
2/13/13 6:04 PM
Barbalos

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Gooner H Smith - 

You can't just have a champion out indefinitely. It sucks but they need to make the decision eventually. If he cant fight he cant fight. It isn't fair to the rest of the division for the real belt to be unattainable for that long a period. 

Not much different than Aldo being out 1 year and then fighting 2 LW's.  All the guys winning and earning shots at FW don't get it.  It will be over 2 years from Mendes until the next FW gets a title shot.

Actually that's totally different. He was fighting and defending the belt. Cruz is not fighting anyone.
2/13/13 6:05 PM
Gooner H Smith

Aldo was out for a year. And then fought a superfight and has another scheduled. So much different, as Aldo is taking tougher fights than are available to him against true FW's. If you think Llamas is a tougher fight than Edgar or Pettis you're crazy. Cruz will be out for 2 full years before he is even ready to schedule a fight, with his last defense being against a 125er. 

2/13/13 6:08 PM
Barbalos

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Barbalos - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 
Gooner H Smith - 

Not much different than Aldo being out 1 year and then fighting 2 LW's.  All the guys winning and earning shots at FW don't get it.  It will be over 2 years from Mendes until the next FW gets a title shot.

Actually that's totally different. He was fighting and defending the belt. Cruz is not fighting anyone.

If you read the post I quoted, it addresses the fairness to the rest of the division to be able to attain the belt.  No matter how many Koch, Swanson, Lamas, etc.. win in a row for a 2 year period, none of them will be getting a shot.

It would be like telling Condit, Hendricks, Diaz, Fitch, etc... that GSP will not be defending the belt until early 2015 sometime, but that they should go ahead and keep fighting anyway.

except that if any of the FW fighters really impressed, they could get a shot.
2/13/13 6:13 PM
Gooner H Smith

He is fighting FW's though right? Edgar did make 145. He's a FW whether he formerly fought at LW or not. Cruz isn't fighting anyone for 2 whole years. My initial post wasn't that it was unfair for everyone that hasn't fought at a heavier weight. It's just unfair regardless of the opponent, as the actual belt isn't even on the line. And if they don't strip him, even if they do win the interim it doesn't mean shit. 

2/13/13 6:14 PM
Gooner H Smith

Aldo/Edgar wasn't a superfight? 

You're an idiot and I don't need Dana White to tell me that or anything else. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.