UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Frank Mir enlists Greg Jackson for Cormier fight

2/13/13 11:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BackAndLeft
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I've always been impressed with Greg Jackson's game planning."

^I lol'd at this because of the criticism GJ has received lately but he is a good coach and seems to genuinely care about his fighters.

It seems that Jon Jones must have been talking up Greg Jackson a lot with Frank around while filming TUF but isn't there a thread that says that Frank and Jon got into some sort of altercation on the show? Phone Post
2/13/13 11:50 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Edgar_Ate_My_Baby -

Damn Mir is going to be kicking the shit out of Cormier's knee isn't he?

Haha Phone Post
2/14/13 12:21 AM
Shoguns Shorts
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully more Winklejohn than Jackson Phone Post
2/14/13 1:16 AM
Reeko
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This could be good. Phone Post
2/14/13 2:26 AM
Jo'donnell-Davies
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still think Cormier is gunna win Phone Post
2/14/13 2:40 AM
Phisher

I love the fact that random douchebags on the internet think they know better about whether or not GJ is a legit coach than a guy like Mir who, like him or not, is an intelligent guy who's been around the sport at the elite level for over a decade.

It's mind-boggling how much Dana's irrational rants actually influence MMA fans.

2/14/13 2:42 AM
GarlicSauce

Jackson will find a way to utilize Mir's submissions more effectively.

Winner: Frank Mir by armbar.
2/14/13 3:08 AM
Knightsofthefirekingdom
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

superCalo -

Frank Mir is a celebral fighter, Greg Jackson is a celebral coach, I fear the combination of the two together will result in Frank Mir entering the octagon as the bell rings and doing this

:) face the pain? No, face yourself, your true self. Phone Post
2/14/13 6:29 AM
Punch Bag

Then my money is on Frank.
2/14/13 9:40 AM
dangerboy12
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

come on people, even the mighty Greg Jackson can't fix a glass jaw.
2/14/13 10:09 AM
orcus

Bizarre decision. I don't think there is any "gameplanning" that will get Mir the win here. He needs to improve his standup and Jackson isn't the greatest at that.

2/14/13 10:20 AM
CLINTK9
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
RampageFitsLikeAGlove -
Aleck911 -  Jon Jones is boring? Phone Post

Yes....everyone Jackson coaches is boring.  Jones, Condit, Diego, Cowboy, Cub Swanson, Dodson, Brandao, Leonard Garcia, Marquardt, Stann, Arlovski.

All lay n prayers.

-UG Logic Phone Post

dude, dont deny that GJ has put together some BORING ass game plans! that usually involve some sort of fighting without fighting. even Dana's gone on some rants about that! dont act like it doesnt happen.
2/14/13 10:21 AM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

flying home every weekend will be rough, hopefully that's not really the case.

wish him the best

2/14/13 11:29 AM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i guess those 3 decision wins he had must have been really, really boring, to outweigh the 8 KO's and 6 subs....
2/14/13 11:34 AM
Another Foob
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RampageFitsLikeAGlove - 

Yes....everyone Jackson coaches is boring.  Jones, Condit, Diego, Cowboy, Cub Swanson, Dodson, Brandao, Leonard Garcia, Marquardt, Stann, Arlovski.

All lay n prayers.

LOL nice.
2/14/13 11:36 AM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think this might seem like a good choice at first for some fighters, but not really for Mir...

obviously Greg Jackson is very successful at getting guys the win, and a high percentage of those are UD's. however, Mir is more successful at finishing than a lot of guys...his decisons and KO's are equal at 3 apiece, but he's got 9 subs.

to me, if he plans for a long fight, he stands a chance of getting KO'd....but if he plans an agressive ground attack, i could see him getting a submission.

regardless, i do commend him for looking at trying something new, especially for a guy who's been in MMA/UFC for a long time...

just my .02.
2/14/13 11:40 AM
FreakDaddy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bout time he did this......
2/14/13 11:42 AM
Bloodstorm

Mir wins via decision Phone Post
2/14/13 11:43 AM
FreakDaddy
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought people were underestimating Mir before he decided to go to team Jackson......I think this makes his chances even better.....
2/14/13 11:49 AM
Gullivers Travels
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/13 11:49 AM
I wonder how the flying home every weekend might affect his readiness. Seems like that could burn someone out after training hard for 5 days before.
2/14/13 1:22 PM
Motivated Penn
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing against Cormier, I like him a lot, dude seems genuinely nice, is a tremendous wrestler, knocks people the fuck out, and is an entertaining fighter through and through.

But I am cheering for Frank Mir, always rooted for Mir. Win by brutal sub.

PS: ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh is an amazing nick :D
2/14/13 1:53 PM
Vril

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Vril -

Mur needs to train with DUKE!

http://fcfighter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Duke-Roufus.jpg

Why? He can't help his chin, all losses by ko/tko. He's gonna go for an early takedown like he did against JDS and then get beat to death on the feet until the ref stops it. Phone Post

My point taken -learning how to strike the right way will

-help him not get hit as much

-create openings for takedowns

2/14/13 2:12 PM
Vote me down

Rather see Mir vs Barnett

2/14/13 2:20 PM
Soup and Beer
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jackson:  "Ok Frank, here's the gameplan.  You need to just keep throwing jabs but make sure it's about 3 feet from landing.  That gives you enough room to avoid a takedown if he shoots."

Mir: "Uh, ok but if I never land any punches and don't go to the ground how can I win?"

Jackson:  "It makes the judges think you are doing something aggressive and they will give you a unanamous decision!"

2/14/13 6:51 PM
Dirtguy

WhiteMustang - Unfortunately for Mir this changes nothing for him and he loses badly. Phone Post
Umm no Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.