UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Congrats Jweinberg new Marcelo Blue Blue belt

2/13/13 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ozzimandias
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMG954857.jpg

2/13/13 10:32 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the way Marcelo ties his belt. Very Relsonesque and congrats blue belt guy good job!
2/13/13 10:46 PM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THX!

2/13/13 10:49 PM
Ozzimandias
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats to forum member and my twin brother Jweinberg for receiving his blue belt tonight from Marcelo.  Marcelo told the class tonight he is one of the quickest bluebelts he has ever promoted which is special coming from him.

Quick backstory (frat):

We both wrestled in highschool and college and did a lot of no gi with some of the other wrestlers from Hofstra in the late nineties.  We had a mat at our house and used to train all the time with no real direction...  Having a twin is great because no matter what you always had a training partner to drill with. Drilling would always lead to sparring and who ever would get the tap became king of the house (our own little version of the Gracie family champion).  We both stopped training in 2001 for various reasons including working long hours in NYC.

I then moved to Dallas for work at the end of 2005 and started training immediately with Carlos Machado while my brother was still a bum doing crap up in NY.  When visiting from NY I would bring him along to the academy to train where I would proceed to kick his ass over and over again. I am happy he finally got motivated and has been training like a madman.

2/13/13 10:57 PM
joemasepoos
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats !!
2/13/13 10:58 PM
joemasepoos
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or should I say Mazeltov !
2/13/13 11:08 PM
Ozzimandias

WTF is a blue blue belt???

2/13/13 11:47 PM
JCASHDAKID
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your brother is the man. Yes this is THE JCASH posting. Congrats buddy well deserved hope they put that mginaction video of you and marcelo wrestling soon didn't get to see all of it but it was a sick group you matheus chris and MG.
2/13/13 11:58 PM
redwhiteandblues
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

up
2/14/13 2:55 AM
amc6825
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! Marcelo is one of the strictest instructors with promotions. He has purple belts that have been for like 5 years and they are very good. Has he ever spoke about his promotion philosophy? Phone Post
2/14/13 8:52 AM
Jweinberg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ozzimandias - 

Congrats to forum member and my twin brother Jweinberg for receiving his blue belt tonight from Marcelo.  Marcelo told the class tonight he is one of the quickest bluebelts he has ever promoted which is special coming from him.

Quick backstory (frat):

We both wrestled in highschool and college and did a lot of no gi with some of the other wrestlers from Hofstra in the late nineties.  We had a mat at our house and used to train all the time with no real direction...  Having a twin is great because no matter what you always had a training partner to drill with. Drilling would always lead to sparring and who ever would get the tap became king of the house (our own little version of the Gracie family champion).  We both stopped training in 2001 for various reasons including working long hours in NYC.

I then moved to Dallas for work at the end of 2005 and started training immediately with Carlos Machado while my brother was still a bum doing crap up in NY.  When visiting from NY I would bring him along to the academy to train where I would proceed to kick his ass over and over again. I am happy he finally got motivated and has been training like a madman.

Thanks.  These past few months training at Marcelo's academy has been very special.  I finally see the beauty and art that BJJ is.  I am enamored by its complexity with each new technique and eager to learn more.  Everyone at the academy is like a family member.  So many bad asses always willing to teach you and break you.  (that's best part).

I recommend BJJ to anyone who is feeling lost and empty- Anyone looking to learn something about themselves and evolve into something special.  And if you are in the NYC area, Marcelo's is the place to be.

Congrats to all the other belt promotions last night.

2/14/13 9:23 AM
Jweinberg

Photobucket

Ricardo Liborio and Romero "Jacare" Calvalcanti were there during the ceremony.  It was such a great belt ceremony.  

2/14/13 10:27 AM
CJJScout
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liborio and Jacare... Lots of BJJ royalty there. Awesome.
2/14/13 10:30 AM
Ozzimandias

Jweinberg - 
Ozzimandias - 

Quick backstory (frat):

Thanks.  These past few months training at Marcelo's academy has been very special.  I finally see the beauty and art that BJJ is.  I am enamored by its complexity with each new technique and eager to learn more.  Everyone at the academy is like a family member.  So many bad asses always willing to teach you and break you.  (that's best part).

I recommend BJJ to anyone who is feeling lost and empty- Anyone looking to learn something about themselves and evolve into something special.  And if you are in the NYC area, Marcelo's is the place to be.

Congrats to all the other belt promotions last night.

I would also recommend BJJ to anyone who feels like they know where they are going and is full.  Congrats again!

2/14/13 12:03 PM
SlapUsilly
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, we all know Marcelo and Liborio are badasses in the art.

But Liborio LOOKS like a the bad motherfucker he is.
2/14/13 7:13 PM
poolparty
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liborio does look hard.
2/14/13 8:28 PM
BenBJJ
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the blue belt and the awesome eyebrows!
2/14/13 9:43 PM
Ozzimandias

LOL Phone Post
2/16/13 11:37 AM
Kneeblock
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bravo!

Congrats!

2/17/13 12:27 AM
amc6825

Not trying to steal your shine and I already congratulated you above.

Were any higher belts promoted at the ceremony? Browns? Blacks? Even purples? I can think off the top of my head of at least 4 purple belts that are longgggg overdue and I don't even train there so I'm sure there are plenty more given Mg's strict promotion standards. Has he ever spoken about his promotion philosophy? Phone Post
2/17/13 3:40 AM
kying418
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/13 3:46 AM
amc6825 -  Not trying to steal your shine and I already congratulated you above.

Were any higher belts promoted at the ceremony? Browns? Blacks? Even purples? I can think off the top of my head of at least 4 purple belts that are longgggg overdue and I don't even train there so I'm sure there are plenty more given Mg's strict promotion standards. Has he ever spoken about his promotion philosophy? Phone Post

There were a handful of new purple belts, brown belts (about 5) and 1 black belt.

I think Marcelo has strict but fair standards. You don't have to be a kick ass competitor to get promoted, but you do need to show dedication and train hard.

The thing with the NYC academy is that the students all train very hard there. Out of all the academies I have visited, the intensity of each roll is higher across the board with all the students than at the other academies I have visited. In fact, everytime I visit (4x a year or so), I like to talk to other visitors to the gym- and they all say the same thing- they werent used to everyone training so hard.

I believe as a result of this, people training there can improve quicker than other gyms.  In fact, many of his students that are very tough (and may seem long overdue for promotions), actually have not had their belts for all that long (relatively speaking).

2/17/13 9:49 AM
Kneeblock
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/13 9:50 AM

I predict Jon Satava will be wearing brown by year's end and black not long after.

Kon, as I understand it, there are only 3 affiliates of Marcelo's in the US, you being one of them. Am I right about that?

2/17/13 10:04 AM
Hugh Jaynus
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kneeblock - 

I predict Jon Satava will be wearing brown by year's end and black not long after.

Kon, as I understand it, there are only 3 affiliates of Marcelo's in the US, you being one of them. Am I right about that?

http://www.marcelogarciajj.com/nyc/index.php/associations

Marcelo Garcia Dallas Association
Rob Ables
4219 Bryan St.
Dallas, TX. 75214
www.marcelogarciadallas.com

Marcelo Garcia Memphis Association
Memphis Judo and Jiu Jitsu
Joel Gingery and Alexandre Meadows
7859 US HGWY 64
Memphis, TN 38133
(901) 590-2492
www.memphisbjj.com

Marcelo Garcia Pittsburgh Association
Team junqueira BJJ
661 Castle Cree Drive, Seven Fields, PA 16046
jakembjj@gmail.com
www.teamjunqueira.com

Marcelo Garcia Princeton Association
Princeton Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (at the YWCA)
Arthur Keintz and Emily Kwok
59 Paul Robeson PL.
Princeton, NJ 08540-3799
609.468.7168 / 609.375.5460
http://www.princetonbjj.com/

Underground Jiu Jitsu
9114 Griffin Road
Cooper City, FL
954 444 6797
2/17/13 12:49 PM
djsolar36
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ryan Hall 50/50 BJJ and Kurt Pellegrino are also both under MGA. Don't think they're direct affiliates but they compete under his name Phone Post
2/17/13 1:25 PM
chickenscratch
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who's Marcelo's new black belt? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.