UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Rickson/Royce lack of enthusiasm for teaching

2/14/13 2:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
graciesrule
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Several threats got me thinking of this, they both seem to teach like its a chore or obligation rather than a passion, but why? Royler and Rorion seem to love it, Relson I don't know. Also can all the red belts and coral belts transmit/pass on the knowledge of Helio/Carlos or does it need to come from the sons?
2/14/13 4:26 PM
Akston
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do something your entire life and you often lose passion but continue because it is what you know. I've only been teaching 13-14 years and it is no longer what it once was. Phone Post
2/14/13 4:27 PM
The Mat Pimp
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relson will get down between two tables at a bar to teach jiu-jitsu.
2/14/13 4:37 PM
athsportsnutrition
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ATHLETE SPORTS NUTRITION, Owner
^Ive never seen Relson not enthusiastic about teaching or telling stories. Phone Post
2/14/13 6:23 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relson LOVES to teach. If you are willing to learn that man will def give you his all.
2/14/13 6:30 PM
LiveFromThe7x7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Probably for the same reason not all sons want to carry on the family business, namely it doesn't interest them and its a field they might never have chosen had they not been born into a given family. Phone Post
2/14/13 7:32 PM
FatBuddha
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - Relson will get down between two tables at a bar to teach jiu-jitsu.

this ^
2/14/13 7:32 PM
FatBuddha
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - Relson will get down between two tables at a bar to teach jiu-jitsu.

this ^
2/14/13 7:36 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LiveFromThe7x7 -  Probably for the same reason not all sons want to carry on the family business, namely it doesn't interest them and its a field they might never have chosen had they not been born into a given family. Phone Post

This, most likely.
2/14/13 10:39 PM
DarrenMullen
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciesrule - Several threats got me thinking of this, they both seem to teach like its a chore or obligation rather than a passion, but why? Royler and Rorion seem to love it, Relson I don't know. Also can all the red belts and coral belts transmit/pass on the knowledge of Helio/Carlos or does it need to come from the sons?

I don't think you have ever been to a Rickson seminar. Attended a two day seminar with him last year...he is definitely still passionate about teaching jiu jitsu. Hands down best seminar I have ever been too!
2/14/13 11:13 PM
porra
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Mat Pimp - Relson will get down between two tables at a bar to teach jiu-jitsu.
That's awesome! Phone Post
2/14/13 11:23 PM
LiveFromThe7x7

Seminar is differnt from the grind of teaching multiple classes each day. Phone Post
2/14/13 11:33 PM
graciesrule
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I was just gonna say that live
2/14/13 11:51 PM
coachjarrod1
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Many lose the love of teaching because it gets old after a while teaching the same thing over and over. Many schools are switching it up to where lower ranks teach the beginners and they teach only advanced students or competitors. Phone Post
2/15/13 9:33 AM
Zero1
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a teacher you have to go back to a whitebelt or bluebelt level to explain things to students.....

That´s cool but honestly if you have a level like Rickson and you are so far advanced about Body Mechanics and technique you understand things 95% of the BJJ people don´t even have a clue about.

Your own BJJ is so high level that you may don´t care to go back and explain things.....

Take care
Björn
2/15/13 10:23 AM
checkuroil
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you were a brain surgeon, you would get bored taking people's temperature.

Teaching beginners is only fun for so long before it becomes monotonous Phone Post
2/15/13 3:21 PM
EazyG

I think to be a good teacher over the long haul you need to be able to feel a sense of success/pride when your students learn and progress. In a sense you are getting your accomplishment through your students accomplishments.

Not every person enjoys this type of success. Not everyone derives a big sense of accomplishment from teaching. Nothing wrong with that.

Relson and Carlson both love(d) to teach which is great for their students.

Being a former Carlson student one thing I noticed is that Carlson loved when his students improved their BJJ and also when they did well at competitions. He got a great sense of accomplishment through our accomplishments, even if they were relatively small in the greater scheme.

Why was Carlson so passionate about coaching? My guess is that (1) he was a very outgoing person who loved interacting with people and (2) he was the oldest of 21 kids so he literally grew up taking care of his siblings and it was very natural to him to teach and care for people. I have met some of his siblings and they all said Carlson was somewhat like a father to them.

Anyone know how Relson grew up? Did he have a boatload of younger siblings to care for?

I once asked Carlson why his father had so many kinds. He said 'Porra! No TV back then!'

2/15/13 4:44 PM
The Mat Pimp
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Relson is for sure a people person. You go to his house there are always lots of people staying there, kids, etc.
2/15/13 7:44 PM
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Carlson definitely had the highest number of elite students out of any Gracie. Phone Post
2/15/13 8:34 PM
EazyG

checkuroil -  If you were a brain surgeon, you would get bored taking people's temperature.

Teaching beginners is only fun for so long before it becomes monotonous Phone Post

CUO

If i remember you are a psychologist/social worker. What is your sense of what makes a good teacher/coach?
2/15/13 8:42 PM
checkuroil
273 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I can comment on good counselor a but not good teachers Phone Post
2/15/13 9:09 PM
MickColins
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/15/13 9:10 PM

Relson seems to be like Carlson Sr. in that he's a people person who can get along with anyone. Relson is one of the Gracies that all branches of the family seem to love. Carlson Jr. told us that he and his dad thought Relson was awesome. I think Eazy made a good point in that good teachers seem invested in their students. Rickson and Royce seem to travel all the time and probably never got to the point where they were invested in their schools.

2/15/13 9:44 PM
sword69

When Royce taught at the Gracie Academy he certainly was invested in all the students. He did the bulk of teaching at intermediate and advanced levels. When he left the academy, I think he wanted to have time to spend with his family and travel. At that point he probably had been teaching for well over two decades (including his time in Brazil). I can't fault him for putting his family first. I think most long time instructors teach because they have to make a living. Both Rickson and Royce can get away with not having a permanent school to teach at. They get to travel all over the world and spend time with their family too.

Even when Rickson and Royce were teaching at their schools in the 90's they were not interested in developing sport champions or MMA champions. It was always just about sharing jiu-jitsu with regular people. Same as Helio and Rorion.
2/16/13 7:01 AM
kying418
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think Royce or Rickson have an obligation to teach or to spread BJJ- especially, at their age, it is nice to settle down and spend more time for yourself and your family.

However, because of this, they shouldnt be presently revered as people who are helping promote the sport as well. Just because Rickson does a few seminars a year, he should no longer be touted as this amazing BJJ ambassador.
2/16/13 7:42 AM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

agreed kying, some people let hero worship get a bit out of hand. I do find it funny that Rickson once asked Pedro Sauer how he could run his academy, association, and teach so much though on a continual basis. Just shows that Rickson could be a great teacher if he wanted to but its not what he WANTS to do.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.