UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bas: Machida doesn't have a lot of weapons.

2/14/13 6:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/13 6:34 PM
ABE FROMAN - 

MMA is becoming like rap beef, everybody is always talking shit in hopes of somebody else paying attention.

this.

ANd more and more just a progammable soundboard of slogans and memes appropriate to each situations with no real belief in them other than the belief you want attention,

This is why I don't watch commentary on this sport anymore. It doesn't matter who it is, once they get a visit from the department that handles ratings they become whatever they have to for more eyes.

2/14/13 6:35 PM
dhughes
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bas also said the front kick was useless in MMA because it wasn't powerful enough.

I remember starting a thread here in 2006 asking why more fighters didn't use the front kick and was fed Bas' quotes on it. Honestly, it seemed to make sense to me at the time but the front kick has proven to be powerful enough to knock out Randy.
2/14/13 6:41 PM
Ruin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GodSaveTheReem - Ever since the shogun fight i've felt that Machida, of all the high level guys, is the worst at in-fight game planning. As in, if Plan A doesn't work he has no Plan B. Luckily for him Plan A almost always works, but when faced with adversity he doesn't do so hot.
Shogun beat him up in the first fight and he got lucky, Machida didn't change his attack in the least in the 2nd fight and he got KO'd. Against Jones, once Jones took him to the ground and hit him in the face he had no response...wasnt much of a threat off his back and got bullied around.
Amazing Plan A, not much of a Plan B.

Don't agree with all of this, but definitely see where you're coming from. A lot of people were saying before the Shogun rematch that Machida could adapt a lot better to Shogun than vice versa and change up his plan of attack.

I didn't really see what he could do differently though, and thought he simply ran into a better fighter
2/14/13 6:48 PM
ajl416az

LOL at ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh getting butthurt and making a whole page of GIFs

did the bad bald man make fun of your hero?? :'(

everyone has habits and everyone can be figured out.
and Machida has a very particular set of habits that he always adheres to. its not an insult

he has tons of skills, but like every fighter, he has holes.

like for instance, Machida not a good boxer.
i don't say this as an insult, or because he lacks knockouts, or because he can't throw punches properly.
i say this because he fights with his hands low and chin up, he doesn't throw hooks, and he refuses to fight in the pocket.
2/14/13 6:53 PM
DoomFarmer
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ajl416az - LOL at ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh getting butthurt and making a whole page of GIFs

and Machida has a very particular set of habits that he always adheres to. its not an insult

i don't say this as an insult, or because he lacks knockouts, or because he can't throw punches properly.
i say this because he fights with his hands low and chin up, he doesn't throw hooks, and he refuses to fight in the pocket.

He ended the thread with his post of gifs.

There is nothing more to be said.
2/14/13 6:57 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer -
ajl416az - LOL at ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh getting butthurt and making a whole page of GIFs

He ended the thread with his post of gifs.

There is nothing more to be said.
. Phone Post
2/14/13 7:00 PM
Truemanc3
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Machida is a great well rounded fighter.

I think he is a very good fight for Dan.

Its going to be close imo.
2/14/13 7:03 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri -
Chaelismyhero - 
Zed Wayne Zed - yeah.....

Hmmmm.....how would Machida vs Bas go in a striking match, both in their primes?

Bas by ko

QFT

He was a truly devastating striker.
Oh, he must be right about Machida then. Phone Post
2/14/13 7:04 PM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
GodSaveTheReem - Ever since the shogun fight i've felt that Machida, of all the high level guys, is the worst at in-fight game planning. As in, if Plan A doesn't work he has no Plan B. Luckily for him Plan A almost always works, but when faced with adversity he doesn't do so hot.
Shogun beat him up in the first fight and he got lucky, Machida didn't change his attack in the least in the 2nd fight and he got KO'd. Against Jones, once Jones took him to the ground and hit him in the face he had no response...wasnt much of a threat off his back and got bullied around.
What? He changed everything he was doing in round 3 against Rampage and owned him. So he couldn't recover from getting thrown down and elbowed by the much bigger Jon Jones who also happens to be champ and that shows he has something wrong with adjusting midfights?

I think you're reaching. Phone Post

The Rampage fight I didn't see so i can't really comment on it, but from everything I heard the first two rounds were very close so i don't think his Plan A failed as much as the judges just weren't on his side.
What I meant in the Jones fight was that even before he got elbowed he didn't really show anything off his back and just kind of laid there (i believe Jones himself stated his surprise at how non-threatening Machida was there). Even when he did get back to his feet he was still trying to do the same exact thing as Round 1 even though Jones had already adjusted.
Because of how good he is there have only been a few times in his career he has ever been in trouble, but when that happens he has never shown the ability to recover well. In my mind that is why he will never be on the same level as the all time greats like Anderson/Fedor, fighters who even when it goes wrong still find a way to win.
2/14/13 7:05 PM
ajl416az

its like clockwork. a bunch of people that know zero about fighting, will get real mad when someone who knows a lot, says something insightful that he actually thinks

this is why everyone who gets interviewed says the same stupid crap
'oh i respect my opponent, i'm going to get in there and do my talking in the cage, i feel the best i've ever felt, blablabla'

we only get inane blather that literally means nothing, because of stupid fans and media members.
these idiots that literally know nothing about the sport hear something they don't understand, and then decide to shout their stupid opinions as loud as possible
2/14/13 7:15 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

100% disagree with Bas. Phone Post
2/14/13 7:28 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

GodSaveTheReem -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
GodSaveTheReem - Ever since the shogun fight i've felt that Machida, of all the high level guys, is the worst at in-fight game planning. As in, if Plan A doesn't work he has no Plan B. Luckily for him Plan A almost always works, but when faced with adversity he doesn't do so hot.
What? He changed everything he was doing in round 3 against Rampage and owned him. So he couldn't recover from getting thrown down and elbowed by the much bigger Jon Jones who also happens to be champ and that shows he has something wrong with adjusting midfights?

I think you're reaching. Phone Post

The Rampage fight I didn't see so i can't really comment on it, but from everything I heard the first two rounds were very close so i don't think his Plan A failed as much as the judges just weren't on his side.
What I meant in the Jones fight was that even before he got elbowed he didn't really show anything off his back and just kind of laid there (i believe Jones himself stated his surprise at how non-threatening Machida was there). Even when he did get back to his feet he was still trying to do the same exact thing as Round 1 even though Jones had already adjusted.
Because of how good he is there have only been a few times in his career he has ever been in trouble, but when that happens he has never shown the ability to recover well. In my mind that is why he will never be on the same level as the all time greats like Anderson/Fedor, fighters who even when it goes wrong still find a way to win.
So you're basing all of this on him not being able to threaten Jones off of his back and being too hurt to recover after? Jones is a terrific talent, much bigger, and had done that exact same thing to everyone he's been on the ground with in mma except for 10 seconds against Vitor.

How about that triangle he fought through against Tito? He may not have the chin or durability of Fedor or Silva but I don't think getting beat on by someone 3 or 4 inches taller and 20+ pounds heavier shows a lack of heart. Phone Post
2/14/13 7:41 PM
Bucephalus

BAS FAIL
2/14/13 7:48 PM
ChaosOverkill
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Bas but if he thinks Karate is ineffective in MMA he should ust come out and say it rather than trying to say it through denigrating a champion and the one guy who has used it effectively to arguably provide him more weapons than the average kick boxer/wrestler

2/14/13 7:55 PM
Wade Garrett

ChaosOverkill - 

I love Bas but if he thinks Karate is ineffective in MMA he should ust come out and say it rather than trying to say it through denigrating a champion and the one guy who has used it effectively to arguably provide him more weapons than the average kick boxer/wrestler

Bas is a Kyokushin karate black belt, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have some secret anti-karate agenda he's pushing.

Lyoto's punches and kicks are great but I'm skeptical of using the knee that dropped Tito as an example of how well rounded his striking is. Lil'Nog finished Tito with body punches on the floor, and I don't recall anyone declaring him to have glorious ground and pound/body work because of that.
2/14/13 8:19 PM
Kunu

War Hendo! Phone Post
2/14/13 8:30 PM
Entreri

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Entreri -
Chaelismyhero - 
Zed Wayne Zed - yeah.....

Hmmmm.....how would Machida vs Bas go in a striking match, both in their primes?

Bas by ko

QFT

He was a truly devastating striker.
Oh, he must be right about Machida then. Phone Post

I disagree about his opinion on Machida. His enthusiasm for a Henderson win could be clouding his judgement.
2/14/13 8:54 PM
ShatsBassoon
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt Machida will struggle to counter Dan's striking.
Get the feeling that this fight is going the distance. Both fighter complacent to throw the first punch.
2/14/13 8:58 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 02/14/13 8:59 PM
Wade Garrett - 
ChaosOverkill - 

Bas is a Kyokushin karate black belt, I'm pretty sure he doesn't have some secret anti-karate agenda he's pushing.

Lyoto's punches and kicks are great but I'm skeptical of using the knee that dropped Tito as an example of how well rounded his striking is. Lil'Nog finished Tito with body punches on the floor, and I don't recall anyone declaring him to have glorious ground and pound/body work because of that.

Fair enough but there a lot of guys with Karate backgrounds who chose to leave it aside to focus on Kick-boxing because it was generally believed to be superior and better for MMA, I just think he is hinting at it. Not as some anti-karate Agenda but as more of a Kickboxing is better for MMA all the time view focusing more on Machida's losses more than his wins and why Karate got him those wins where other traditional fighters would have failed. I woudn't call it a lack of weapons, just a very different orientation of them and focus.

But either way I see your point but I would't call Machida lacking weapons under any definition

2/14/13 8:58 PM
hubris
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like Bas is Jelly
2/14/13 9:01 PM
RyanBaderGOAT

I respect both Bas and Lyoto. I wish they were my friends. Phone Post
2/14/13 9:15 PM
jimbonice

That was the most dumbass thing Bas had said for some time. Phone Post
2/14/13 9:16 PM
Bucephalus

I don't ever remember Bas being this incorrect about anything..

Lyoto has timing, distance, accuracy, great counter striking, knees, front kicks, punches and some of the best standing sweeps in the history of MMA.
2/14/13 9:17 PM
MAG

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

You're right Bas.

Machida has no power in his hands

It's just his counter right that's effective.  That's it.

Well he can't finish you when he has you hurt.

But he's limited to his hands.  No striking ability besides that.

Lucky kick, plus - kicks and punches don't make you a well rounded striker.  

Please.  His knees don't do any damage.

Being a good striker doesn't mean you have a lot of weapons.  He has no way to get the fight to the floor.

That's just a gimmicky leg sweep.  He couldn't take down a decent wrestler.

Takedowns are cool, but he can't finish you on the ground.  No power in his GnP.

GnP is overrated.  A truly dangerous fighter has to be able to submit someone.

amazing post
2/14/13 9:20 PM
DamnSevern
1192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/13 9:21 PM
Wade Garrett - 
ChaosOverkill - 

not sure if serious

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.