UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bas: Machida doesn't have a lot of weapons.

2/14/13 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DamnSevern
1190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/14/13 9:21 PM
Wade Garrett - 
ChaosOverkill - 

I love Bas but if he thinks Karate is ineffective in MMA he should ust come out and say it rather than trying to say it through denigrating a champion and the one guy who has used it effectively to arguably provide him more weapons than the average kick boxer/wrestler

Lyoto's punches and kicks are great but I'm skeptical of using the knee that dropped Tito as an example of how well rounded his striking is. Lil'Nog finished Tito with body punches on the floor, and I don't recall anyone declaring him to have glorious ground and pound/body work because of that.

not sure if serious

2/14/13 9:26 PM
Yussarian
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MAG - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

You're right Bas.

Machida has no power in his hands

It's just his counter right that's effective.  That's it.

Well he can't finish you when he has you hurt.

But he's limited to his hands.  No striking ability besides that.

Lucky kick, plus - kicks and punches don't make you a well rounded striker.  

Please.  His knees don't do any damage.

Being a good striker doesn't mean you have a lot of weapons.  He has no way to get the fight to the floor.

That's just a gimmicky leg sweep.  He couldn't take down a decent wrestler.

Takedowns are cool, but he can't finish you on the ground.  No power in his GnP.

GnP is overrated.  A truly dangerous fighter has to be able to submit someone.

amazing post

Enough said. Both Hendo and Machida are great fighters though.
2/14/13 9:54 PM
Kings21
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the sake of ending the scrolling I wont quote it again but ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh's post is brilliant. A perfect response I'd say. Also those slow motion gifs are great. Especially the Rashad KO.
2/14/13 10:01 PM
Another Foob
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This fight is a coin toss. Nobody can call it.
2/14/13 10:21 PM
Sagiv Lapkin's #1 Fan
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddie Gavaria -

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/2/14/3989270/ufc-157-lyoto-machida-dan-henderson-bas-rutten-mma

Kind of surprising coming from Bas. If Machida is one dimensional then what exactly is Hendo? Also, despite what he says, rushing Lyoto is FAR from a good idea. 

I'll join the crowd of voices opposed to Bas. Then again he's a journalist/celebrate so he should be use to this it he planned it.

Machida's attacks may be few but its his application of those attacks that makes him unique. No two KOs have come from the same angle or direction or even application.

Bas' statements reek of limited understanding which I know he doesn't have so there is something more at play.

Machida wins this fight 9 times out of 10. Phone Post
2/14/13 11:02 PM
ufc98newb
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WiqedWhite -  Jack Slack is furious right now Phone Post

Jack Slack:

"Lyoto Machida is as fine a striker as has ever stepped into the octagon. A master of movement and timing despite his limited move set and technically mediocre kickboxing, Machida has shown how much of striking is in the intangibles and not in how pretty one's technique looks on it's own."

2/14/13 11:09 PM
daba
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think Bas' love of Hendo is not making him very objective here. Hendo bullrushing Lyoto is likely going to end up in him eating a nasty counter ala Bader and Rashad.
2/14/13 11:18 PM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's mad seagal has more mma success than him Phone Post
2/14/13 11:32 PM
BshMstr
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well rounded poster -  This quote's gonna look pretty awkward when Lyoto start lighting Dan up with leg/body/head kicks

Yeah, Machida favours his karate reverse straight and trips but does that mean he's one dimensional? The guy throws knees, MT style kicks and has a BJJ black belt

Hendo, on the other hand, doesn't have nearly as many weapons in his arsenal. Weird quote by Bas. Phone Post

well, anything can happen....Machida does has great judo trips, straight striking and lateral movement...

but his muay thai is non-exisistent, and his BJJ has not been particularly impressive....hell, Tito nearly subbed him with a triangle.

in a fight vs Hendo, it's more or less 2 fighters that aren't particularly well rounded, but highly specialized.
2/14/13 11:58 PM
xXJayRobXx
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I respectfully disagree. Phone Post
2/15/13 12:24 AM
hubris
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ this

Lyoto is going to own Hendo
2/15/13 1:51 AM
absolutesperry
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love Bas but Machida is one of those guys when I watch I'm always thinking "don't blink". The guy is a Fkn ninja, so I'd say he has plenty of weapons. Phone Post
2/15/13 2:21 AM
GelderdEnd

Is Bas trolling?? Phone Post
2/15/13 2:38 AM
Rickson's Aura
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't take Bas Rutten seriously. Didn't he also once say that the jab was ineffective? He supports Hendo and that's fine. Hendo has that right hand and TRT which has been a big part of his recent performances. Machida's cardio is not the best when the pace is high, but he has the skills to keep the fight on the feet and the footwork and timing to avoid a slugfest.
2/15/13 2:48 AM
gusto

Bas saying this is so dumb

Machida would have clowned a prime Rutten. It would not have been close
2/15/13 3:26 AM
TZA
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
2/15/13 3:31 AM
TZA
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
2/15/13 3:44 AM
absolutesperry
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bas is just hating because Machida never fought Pride... Oh no, what have I become????

Pride4life Phone Post
2/15/13 4:06 AM
FlyingSubsOnly

Edited: 02/15/13 4:15 AM
Bas usually tells it how it is, but can't agree here. There clearly emotional favoritism involved.

Machida has KO power in his hands, knees, shins/feet as well as subs of his back and on top... not mentioning amazing movement/allusiveness and phenomenal unorthodox trip-takedowns from everywhere.

Bas saying he has one go-to combination and only moves to one side.. What? And as far as Hendo "BULL RUSHING" him? Bas must've missed the Bader fight, he takes advantage of small windows and minor exchanges seen in the Thiago Silva fight right after their exchange near the cage, as well as the Rashad KO.

Dan's not going to be able to feint with the left or throw the inside kick, right hand combo and get Machida to fall into the "H-Bomb" let alone circle into a right hand.I definitely think Hendo has a chance to beat any man in the world, but breaking it down realistically, Machida has more tools to win, and Dan isn't the hardest fighter to figure out.
2/15/13 4:11 AM
TZA

Phone Post
2/15/13 4:13 AM
Bucephalus

I'm a big Hendo fan and I see Machida winning this.
2/15/13 4:17 AM
TZA

Phone Post
2/15/13 4:23 AM
FlyingSubsOnly

Edited: 02/15/13 4:25 AM
nvm
2/15/13 5:34 AM
spliff
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChokeEmOut -  Bas is an extremely biased guy. He will blindly back his friends instead of being impartial Phone Post

2/15/13 5:41 AM
Y2JB

Edited: 02/15/13 5:43 AM
I find Machida's backing up & counter style boring and borderline cowardly. If everyone fought like that there would never be a strike thrown.

That said, he clearly has tools, I just don't like them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.