UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Attn: Academy owners

2/14/13 4:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eric-burdo
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi folks,

I currently have an Academy with about 1100 square feet of Zebra Grappling Mats, covered by a mat cover (also done by Zebra mats). I am really unhappy with the mat cover for three reasons:

1) There are seams on the mats that are a bit rough.
2) The cover is only 2 years old, but there are already signs of tearing.
3) I had them apply custom logos to the cover, but they have worn down substantially, and do not look good at this point.

I am hoping someone out there has some ideas, or experience(s) with mat companies who have produced custom mat covers. Any advice/feeedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric Burdo
Head Instructor
Richmond BJJ Academy
Richmond, Virginia
www.RichmondBJJ.com
www.facebook.com/richmondbjjacademy
2/14/13 4:58 PM
totaldude
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why have the cover at all and not just have the mats?
2/14/13 5:01 PM
Akston
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

totaldude - Why have the cover at all and not just have the mats?
Prevents the separations from accumulating dirt, catching toes, mat cleaner and sweat from dripping through, and gives you extended mat life. Phone Post
2/14/13 5:07 PM
Akston
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And to the op, I have never used a mat cover but if you get good info let me know, it's something I've considered for a while. Phone Post
2/14/13 5:21 PM
Tyler Bishop
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you contacted Zebra
2/14/13 6:48 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you dont need a mat co,you need a canvas co.have velcro sewn on the edges.

just pick your material

2/14/13 7:53 PM
shortyjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eric,
as much as you may not want to switch out all the mats, please consider dollamur flexi-roll. They are hands down the best mats on the market. It would be fairly easy to get a graphics company to produce a logo that could go on a wall mat or the like....we have some on the walls, but not on the mats.

Are you sold on the idea of logos on the mat themselves?

P.S. We are a BJJ Revolution school, too. OSSSSS!
2/14/13 8:51 PM
PayItForward
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put some tussin on it boy!
2/14/13 9:00 PM
Dean Demuro
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shortyjj - eric,
as much as you may not want to switch out all the mats, please consider dollamur flexi-roll. They are hands down the best mats on the market. It would be fairly easy to get a graphics company to produce a logo that could go on a wall mat or the like....we have some on the walls, but not on the mats.

I am rather fond of your mats. Except the icky staph infections.

Just kidding! I LOOOOOOVE your staph infections! Phone Post
2/14/13 9:32 PM
PayItForward
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shortyjj - you own dollamur? what am i missing here?
2/14/13 9:45 PM
shortyjj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PayItForward - shortyjj - you own dollamur? what am i missing here?

Sorry for the confusion....no I do not own dollamur (i wish!)

We are a BJJ Revolution school--just like eric burdo--and we use dollamur with great success at our academy.
2/14/13 9:46 PM
shortyjj

Dean Demuro - 
shortyjj - eric,

We seriously have the BEST, HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST TECHNICAL staph infections in all of WNY.
2/14/13 9:47 PM
shortyjj

Dean Demuro - 
shortyjj - eric,

P.S. Where have you been?
2/14/13 9:47 PM
rgbjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have the best mats in our academy. Check out

http://www.norberts.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17

Everyone who comes to our academy loves our mats. They are less expensive than Zebra or other mats, and way softer. You don't feel like you are landing on cement. It has padding underneath. We have had for 6 years with no fading or anything, and they made our wall pads with our logo on it too. If that link doesn't work go to www.norberts.net and click on martial arts mats. Ours look exactly like the ones pictured.
2/15/13 7:47 AM
Dean Demuro
485 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Back next week, my fren. I actually had to go to work this week. It was awful. Phone Post
2/15/13 7:48 AM
Dean Demuro

Back next week, my fren. I actually had to go to work this week. It was awful. Phone Post
2/15/13 8:21 AM
Devil Dog

Could it be the cleaning solution you are using?
2/15/13 2:21 PM
rgbjj

In case that link doesn't work it is Norberts.net. Seriously best mats around
2/15/13 2:55 PM
eric-burdo
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akston - 
totaldude - Why have the cover at all and not just have the mats?
Prevents the separations from accumulating dirt, catching toes, mat cleaner and sweat from dripping through, and gives you extended mat life. Phone Post

This about sums it up. It's for health and safety reasons, and I also think it looks nice.
2/15/13 2:57 PM
eric-burdo

Tyler Bishop - Have you contacted Zebra

Yes, about a month after I installed the cover, I contacted Zebra to let them know that the logos were scratching/fading off. They gave me a small amount of money back as a refund, but I am still stuck with a product I am unhappy with. It also took about 18 hours of labor to fully install, so I haven't been in a rush to pull it up.
2/15/13 3:00 PM
eric-burdo

shortyjj - eric,

Thanks for your input. I am not looking to replace my mats, as they are still in great shape. I am just looking to cover them.

I am really into the idea of having logos directly on the mats, but if it turns out that there are no solid, quality options, I will just get a cover without logos.
2/15/13 3:03 PM
eric-burdo

rgbjj - We have the best mats in our academy. Check out

http://www.norberts.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17

Everyone who comes to our academy loves our mats. They are less expensive than Zebra or other mats, and way softer. You don't feel like you are landing on cement. It has padding underneath. We have had for 6 years with no fading or anything, and they made our wall pads with our logo on it too. If that link doesn't work go to www.norberts.net and click on martial arts mats. Ours look exactly like the ones pictured.

Thanks for your input. I will contact them to see if they can help me!
2/15/13 3:07 PM
eric-burdo

Devil Dog - Could it be the cleaning solution you are using?

Maybe on the tears, but the logo issue wasn't. The logos immediately started scratching off as soon as students started training on the cover.

I use a lysol/bleach/water solution to clean the mats, always mop up any excess water, and fan dry the mats immediately.

If/when I find a new mat cover, I plan on using a product specifically designed for mat disinfecting.
2/15/13 3:27 PM
biggator
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehb7tfvrXe8

this is what 12 was talking about!
2/15/13 4:56 PM
rgbjj

eric-burdo - 
Devil Dog - Could it be the cleaning solution you are using?

Maybe on the tears, but the logo issue wasn't. The logos immediately started scratching off as soon as students started training on the cover.

I use a lysol/bleach/water solution to clean the mats, always mop up any excess water, and fan dry the mats immediately.

If/when I find a new mat cover, I plan on using a product specifically designed for mat disinfecting.

Definitely check them out. There are other places I have turned on to these mats/covers and everyone loves them. Six years and no fading. Also, we us Kennedy products for cleaning. It is the best out there. Kills everything. We never have ringworm or any other nasty things. Kennedyindustries.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.