UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Rousey diet...

2/14/13 11:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Just_Scrap
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody have some details about Ronda's diet? Just heard her say she's eating one meal a day. Pretty much following the paleo diet and restricting her intake. I've been eating paleo for about a year, I'm in great shape, and feel better than I ever have. That being said I've kinda plateaued, and I'd like to be a little leaner. Anybody have experience with fasting like this? Phone Post
2/15/13 9:29 AM
Wiggy
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know what Ronda does, but I've IFed for years - it's my favorite eating style.

There are a ton of different IF variations out there.  Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" basically has you just not eating for 2 x 24 periods during the week.  To make it easier, you spread the 24 hours over two days - you don't eat dinner of day 1, then don't eat breakfast or lunch on day 2.  You pick back up eating with dinner on day 3.  Repeat this 2x each week.  He has a bunch of science and such as to why it works, but as long as you don't over-eat on the other days, I say the main reason you're losing weight is you're eliminating roughly 30% of your weekly caloric intake.

LeanGains is a more extended version of IF that has you fasting for like 16 hours, then eating everything in 8 hours.  The difference is that you rotate that 8 hour window so that you don't eat until the afternoon, and it's largely based around training.  Though thinking about it from a real basic perspective, outside of trying to center your meals around your workout, I'm not sure what the difference (given the nutrients and such would stay the same) would be between doing it his way and simply just delaying breakfast to 9am and eating dinner right at 5pm, as long as you didn't snack before or after.  

I do something more akin to the Warrior Diet or Jason Ferruggia's "Renegade Diet" in that I only eat at the end of the day.  I'll have my fish oil caps in the AM.  Will drink water and part of a low/no-carb energy drink during the day.  Break my fast at 5-6pm and be done eating by 9-10pm.  

Several things I like about IF - you can restrict your calories, yet still get full,  If you're restricting calories and spreading them all out through the day (esp on some stupid 5-6 meals/day plan), you're always hungry and *never* get the chance to get full.  Ever.  And there's no end in sight.  With IF, as long as you can make it to the end of the day (and ANYONE with just a tad of willpower can make it to the end of the day), you can still have a big meal that satiates you.  This is one of the biggest things, IMO.

The first 1-3 weeks (depending on how long it takes you to acclimate) will suck.  You will defnitely get hungry.  But it makes that meal oh so more delicious when you get to eat it.  lol

However, once you get acclimated, you find (or at least I did, and I've read many accounts of others saying the same) that you're not hungry during the day.  You actually feel a lot better - light, not bloated from eating, and actually more energetic.  I'm to the point now that unless I'm exceedingly tired from not sleeping, I feel like shit if I eat during the day.

Now if you've got an extremely physical job or were a fighter training several times/day, I'm not sure this would be the right diet protocol for you.  But if you're just the regular guy or are just training once/day, then I'd recommend it to anyone.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

2/15/13 9:55 AM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i unknowingly followed this type of diet in college, but mostly because i was a lazy shit who just slept or played videogames all day and couldnt be bothered to go out for food until i was starving at the end of the day. so i just ate one big meal per day.

for me, the biggest benefit of this style of eating is the convenience and amount of time you save from not having to worry about finding healthy food during the day and not having to spend time cooking or eating.
2/15/13 10:03 AM
shortyjj

sperm. she eats a lot of sperm.
2/15/13 10:41 AM
Leigh
883 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronda is big and a little soft off season. She gets in great shape for fights. My guess is she is simply eating like this to bring her weight down. Phone Post
2/15/13 10:48 AM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who cares what she eats? People spend way too much time thinking about what other people do...and not just working on their own stuff. You are an experiment of one. Pay attention, write stuff down, try things out, keep notes...Figure it out.

TAKU

2/15/13 1:05 PM
disbeliever
397 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
From a calorie stand point, I'm amazed she can eat 1 meal a day, which looked like it just consisted of broccoli and meat, and work out as hard as she does. AND she fasts on Sundays.
2/15/13 6:07 PM
Just_Scrap
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiggy -

I don't know what Ronda does, but I've IFed for years - it's my favorite eating style.

There are a ton of different IF variations out there.  Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" basically has you just not eating for 2 x 24 periods during the week.  To make it easier, you spread the 24 hours over two days - you don't eat dinner of day 1, then don't eat breakfast or lunch on day 2.  You pick back up eating with dinner on day 3.  Repeat this 2x each week.  He has a bunch of science and such as to why it works, but as long as you don't over-eat on the other days, I say the main reason you're losing weight is you're eliminating roughly 30% of your weekly caloric intake.

LeanGains is a more extended version of IF that has you fasting for like 16 hours, then eating everything in 8 hours.  The difference is that you rotate that 8 hour window so that you don't eat until the afternoon, and it's largely based around training.  Though thinking about it from a real basic perspective, outside of trying to center your meals around your workout, I'm not sure what the difference (given the nutrients and such would stay the same) would be between doing it his way and simply just delaying breakfast to 9am and eating dinner right at 5pm, as long as you didn't snack before or after.  

I do something more akin to the Warrior Diet or Jason Ferruggia's "Renegade Diet" in that I only eat at the end of the day.  I'll have my fish oil caps in the AM.  Will drink water and part of a low/no-carb energy drink during the day.  Break my fast at 5-6pm and be done eating by 9-10pm.  

Several things I like about IF - you can restrict your calories, yet still get full,  If you're restricting calories and spreading them all out through the day (esp on some stupid 5-6 meals/day plan), you're always hungry and *never* get the chance to get full.  Ever.  And there's no end in sight.  With IF, as long as you can make it to the end of the day (and ANYONE with just a tad of willpower can make it to the end of the day), you can still have a big meal that satiates you.  This is one of the biggest things, IMO.

The first 1-3 weeks (depending on how long it takes you to acclimate) will suck.  You will defnitely get hungry.  But it makes that meal oh so more delicious when you get to eat it.  lol

However, once you get acclimated, you find (or at least I did, and I've read many accounts of others saying the same) that you're not hungry during the day.  You actually feel a lot better - light, not bloated from eating, and actually more energetic.  I'm to the point now that unless I'm exceedingly tired from not sleeping, I feel like shit if I eat during the day.

Now if you've got an extremely physical job or were a fighter training several times/day, I'm not sure this would be the right diet protocol for you.  But if you're just the regular guy or are just training once/day, then I'd recommend it to anyone.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Thanks for the info. I'll look into some of this for sure. Phone Post
2/15/13 6:32 PM
Just_Scrap

Taku -

Who cares what she eats? People spend way too much time thinking about what other people do...and not just working on their own stuff. You are an experiment of one. Pay attention, write stuff down, try things out, keep notes...Figure it out.

TAKU

I'm super disciplined with my diet. I pay attention to everything and I actually do keep notes. I was just curious about the fasting, not necessarily what "Ronda Rousey is eating".

I love this forum though.... Always full of good feedback. Phone Post
2/15/13 6:42 PM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmmm Phone Post
2/15/13 7:57 PM
Ringworm74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I work on the railroad as a conductor on long 12 hour trips with 16 hrs or so in hotels. Often times on the train with no food, this diet seem a good fit for my lifestyle. Please put more info. The diets of railroaders suck! Phone Post
2/15/13 10:18 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

J_S.

Fair enough...I apologize for coming across harshly.

TAKU

2/15/13 11:58 PM
WillyMaunawili
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
2/16/13 11:47 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a torture diet to me, I can't imagine eating or not eating that way. I would think your strength would suffer greatly on this type of diet/eating plan. I'm sure it's good for losing weight though, so it anorexia lol.
2/16/13 12:31 PM
andyman011

AdrianK - Sounds like a torture diet to me, I can't imagine eating or not eating that way. I would think your strength would suffer greatly on this type of diet/eating plan. I'm sure it's good for losing weight though, so it anorexia lol.
Wrong and wrong. I've been doing this since grade 7 and I'm 20 now. I have lean body weight, I eat whatever I want and I have more strength than people that weigh more than me, are physically bigger than me and go to the gym more consistently than I do. I find working out on an empty stomach/ just an apple or something really small, really makes a difference. If you listen to rouseys explanation it makes sense.

As humans we are natural hunters, so when we get hungry our body says Go and work to catch food. After you eat you're telling your body I caught what I need, let me rest now.

All I know is it works. I have low body fat and high strength. I'm 140 pounds with clothes on and lift what 180 lbers lift. Phone Post
2/16/13 12:34 PM
andyman011

The only thing is when you go too intense, its easier to puke because of just having water in the stomach. Its only happened 2x on extreme leg days though Phone Post
2/16/13 2:11 PM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyman011 - 
AdrianK - Sounds like a torture diet to me, I can't imagine eating or not eating that way. I would think your strength would suffer greatly on this type of diet/eating plan. I'm sure it's good for losing weight though, so it anorexia lol.
Wrong and wrong. I've been doing this since grade 7 and I'm 20 now. I have lean body weight, I eat whatever I want and I have more strength than people that weigh more than me, are physically bigger than me and go to the gym more consistently than I do. I find working out on an empty stomach/ just an apple or something really small, really makes a difference. If you listen to rouseys explanation it makes sense.

As humans we are natural hunters, so when we get hungry our body says Go and work to catch food. After you eat you're telling your body I caught what I need, let me rest now.

All I know is it works. I have low body fat and high strength. I'm 140 pounds with clothes on and lift what 180 lbers lift. Phone Post

Hey if it works for you and others more power to you, I'm not judging or discrediting anyone it just doesn't sound like it would be for me. If your goal is to be lean and strong "for your size" I can see how this might work but I'm very sure that you could never reach your full potential for strength and power approaching things this way which is more what my goal is at this point. It takes a LOT more than apple and a glass of water to get after the kind of weights I'm chasing, I'd burn that up before I even got warmed up. I suppose the body can adapt to almost anything but I put myself through enough suffering in the gym without also trying to do it all dealing with hunger pangs. Certainly I could see making a case for health and longevity with a diet like this but not for being able to lift maximal weights.
2/16/13 6:14 PM
andyman011

AdrianK -
andyman011 - 

Hey if it works for you and others more power to you, I'm not judging or discrediting anyone it just doesn't sound like it would be for me. If your goal is to be lean and strong "for your size" I can see how this might work but I'm very sure that you could never reach your full potential for strength and power approaching things this way which is more what my goal is at this point. It takes a LOT more than apple and a glass of water to get after the kind of weights I'm chasing, I'd burn that up before I even got warmed up. I suppose the body can adapt to almost anything but I put myself through enough suffering in the gym without also trying to do it all dealing with hunger pangs. Certainly I could see making a case for health and longevity with a diet like this but not for being able to lift maximal weights.
When I eat before a workout, I put up three quarters of normal weight. Empty stomach and I make prs. You can't expect someone my size to put up monster numbers there. I'm not into power lifting. I think having a max higher than someone 40 pounds heavier (who isn't fat) is pretty impressive. Phone Post
2/16/13 6:25 PM
AdrianK

For sure, if it works for you and you're happy with the results then you must be doing something right. It's not something I would even consider trying but I've been around long enough to realize that no way is the ONLY way to do things or the only way that works for everybody.
2/16/13 6:45 PM
andyman011

AdrianK - For sure, if it works for you and you're happy with the results then you must be doing something right. It's not something I would even consider trying but I've been around long enough to realize that no way is the ONLY way to do things or the only way that works for everybody.
Very true. Different body means different workout.

You see the world don't move to the beat of just one drum.
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

It takes different strokes to move the world. Phone Post
2/16/13 8:05 PM
Just_Scrap

The paleo diet is the best decision I've ever made when it comes to nutrition. Mark Sisson talks about intermediate fasting all the time. I've tried throwing in a fast once a week here and there, but never anything like this. I'm gonna try this out for a few weeks and see what kind of results I get. My hunger doesn't get to me much anyway since I burn fat for energy instead of sugar.

I've been reading up on the warrior diet since I posted this. I'll bump this thread and share my results in a few weeks. Phone Post
2/17/13 7:11 AM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wiggy - that was an excellent post.

Forum member CharlesTRose does the same thing pretty much and his youtube channel is excellent.
2/17/13 7:14 AM
U4EA
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/user/CharlesTRose/videos?view=0&flow=grid
2/23/13 12:43 AM
12ealdeal

andyman011 -

I watched the prime time. Saw the diet deally. But I don't recall "her" explanation. Just remember the part of being "chemical free".

What was her explanation you speak of? Phone Post
2/23/13 12:59 AM
andyman011

12ealdeal -
andyman011 -

I watched the prime time. Saw the diet deally. But I don't recall "her" explanation. Just remember the part of being "chemical free".

What was her explanation you speak of? Phone Post
Was in a different interview. Its somewhere on this website. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.