UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nelson: A BJJ black belt 'doesn't mean anything'

2/14/13 11:58 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"There was no point staying in school," he told MMA Fighting. "I just wanted to get out there and dabble. Whether I'd be the most successful fighter in the world or a successful fighter at all, I still wanted to do this, to train and teach, eventually. To study this. Maybe I would’ve studied something else, but what I was doing in school, I wasn't interested in the way I was interested in this."

His interest was only matched by his aptitude for learning. Earning a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu is for many a lifetime quest. Some never receive it. Others take 15-20 years. Nelson received his in four years, and from Renzo Gracie, no less.

Nelson does not trumpet this accomplishment. In fact, he downplays it. A black belt "doesn't mean anything," he says. The meaning is in the journey.

Nelson acknowledges that he doesn't feel a huge amount of joy in the immediate aftermath of a win. Most of his satisfaction comes in the gym, with progress and development. The fight? It has real consequences.

"There is a small bit of tension release because you know the situation is over," he said. "There is a different energy after the fight, but I'd say my mind is more with my opponent than myself in being happy. At least in that stage."

read entire article...

2/15/13 2:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LastRowCarl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nelson looks great... he hit 170 based on that picture Phone Post
2/15/13 2:46 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

Fedor 2.0 Phone Post
2/15/13 2:47 AM
Snufulufugus

For those night clicking the lick to mmafighting.com, this story is about Gunnar Nelson.

Vote down UG Blog. Way to take the title out of context.
2/15/13 3:07 AM
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is the title out of context? You mean the story is about a guy who is fighting tomorrow who is called Nelson? Derp

2/15/13 3:29 AM
Pandanus

Snufulufugus - For those night clicking the lick to mmafighting.com, this story is about Gunnar Nelson.

Retard
2/15/13 4:02 AM
GarlicSauce

Snufulufugus - For those night clicking the lick to mmafighting.com, this story is about Gunnar Nelson.

Thanks. I honestly thought it was about Roy Nelson. He's the most famous Nelson.

Pretty retarded of UG blog to do this.
2/15/13 4:05 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

calm down drama queens, nelson is the one fighting this wkend so its who I thought the thread would be about.. Phone Post
2/15/13 4:28 AM
Fedors Jim Jams

GarlicSauce - 

Thanks. I honestly thought it was about Roy Nelson. He's the most famous Nelson.

Pretty retarded of UG blog to do this.

2/15/13 5:23 AM
ken amtrack

Renzo just choked on his protein drink..but he just managed a smile..all good carry on chaps Phone Post
2/15/13 7:30 AM
fakezaga
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Classic UG Blog thread title.
2/15/13 8:44 AM
shb
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
2/15/13 9:10 AM
Easytarget
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

'Others take 15-20 years'

Hyperbole much. Who the hell takes 15 years of training to get a bjj black belt.
2/15/13 9:18 AM
Lasko
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DOMINANTDAN#1FAN -

How is the title out of context? You mean the story is about a guy who is fighting tomorrow who is called Nelson? Derp

Yeah seriously. I mean it's not like there's another fighter who's last name is Nelson and is a hell of a lot more popular. I don't see how anyone could possibly get confused. Phone Post
2/15/13 9:53 AM
TalkShowOnMute
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget - 'Others take 15-20 years'

Hyperbole much. Who the hell takes 15 years of training to get a bjj black belt.
Probably me. I'm almost at 5 years and a blue...lol Phone Post
2/15/13 10:11 AM
kid chaos
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terrible title Phone Post
2/15/13 10:21 AM
SlapUsilly
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Easytarget - 'Others take 15-20 years'

Took me 13.

I'm a black belt.. just not a great one.
2/15/13 10:31 AM
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lasko -
DOMINANTDAN#1FAN -

Yeah seriously. I mean it's not like there's another fighter who's last name is Nelson and is a hell of a lot more popular. I don't see how anyone could possibly get confused. Phone Post
Maybe you should ask Gunnar to change his name? Not like there's a big picture of him on the home screen or anything is it? Phone Post
2/15/13 10:47 AM
dogfb
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tons of people. 

2/15/13 10:56 AM
bhealthy

dogfb - 

Tons of people. 

and they are usually very very good at bjj!
i respect thier 'stick-to-it-iveness'
evr talk to these 15-20 year cats??? they always have GREAT stories. funny, profound shit you can actually learn from.

WAR O.F.T.T.!
2/15/13 11:03 AM
SKARHEAD
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taking 10 years to take a black belt is not uncommon....now factor in breaks in training due to job, injuries, financial issues, losing interest, coming back...etc....could easily be a 15-20 quest for some without tons of free time or athletic ability.
2/15/13 11:24 AM
canofsticks
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WelshWarrior -  calm down drama queens, nelson is the one fighting this wkend so its who I thought the thread would be about.. Phone Post

To be fair if faced with the anonymous quote "A BJJ black belt doesn't mean anything"

and your two multiple choice answers are:
A) Roy Nelson
B) Gunnar Nelson

It'd be a pretty unanimous selection for A
2/15/13 11:31 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War Gunnar!!! Phone Post
2/15/13 11:58 AM
gusto

I thought scuba kirik was going to do something about these idiotic headlines
2/15/13 12:11 PM
Ozzimandias
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, what a shitty thread

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.