UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Pre and post workout supps

2/15/13 11:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BispingLostFairlySquarely
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 40, about 85kg, 5'10, fairly active (bjj 2-3 times a week), sandc 2-4 times, mainly HIIT, kettle bell, body weight type stuff.

Looking to get drop some weight, not build mass.

Looking for a good pre workout boost and good post workout recovery supp....any suggestions welcome.

Cheers chaps. Phone Post
2/15/13 1:03 PM
disbeliever
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I recently started taking jack3d micro or C4 for pre work out drink and love them. No idea if they actually do anything, but they have stimulants in them so I *feel* more energized to lift

Post I just do protein shake
2/15/13 1:09 PM
dizz
553 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I took jack3d for a while but, I dunno, all the ingredients in the pre-workout supps kind of worry me. It did rev me up and make me pretty intense during workouts though. I cut it out after a bit though. I think all you need for a pre-workout boost is some caffeine, either through coffee or pills.

Post-workout I just do a whey protein shake and some creatine

Maybe throw some BCAAs in there before or after as well
2/15/13 2:00 PM
Wiggy
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Provided you have the rest of your nutrition and such mostly up to snuff:

Pre-Workout - Ideal Pump from GI Nutrition.  Best pre-workout drink on the market, all-natural, NSF certified, and IMO, the best supplement company around.  I've known the owners since just after they started the company a few years ago, and they're both really good dudes.  Some of the only "good guys" in the industry.  If you ever get anything from them, be sure to tell 'em Wiggy sent you.

Post-Workout - GI Nutrition has a really good post-workout drink called Ideal Recovery.  As much as I do like it, you're just as well drinking chocolate milk.  Check Alan Aragon's article for why.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

2/15/13 5:42 PM
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. Trying to avoid caffeine......any no caffeine based recommendations? Phone Post
2/15/13 6:52 PM
Wiggy
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just checked my jug of Ideal Pump and it's got 150mg of caffeine/serving. Though I'm guessing that you're gonna have a hard time finding a pre-workout supp that doesn't contain caffeine...
2/15/13 9:03 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Protein after is all I take. Phone Post
2/16/13 4:53 AM

Cool. Cheers guys. Phone Post
2/16/13 10:20 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beta Alanine & BCAA's
2/16/13 4:01 PM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Preworkout:
L-Tyrosine + Choline Source + Green Tea

PeriWorkout:
Carbs (I prefer Karboload) + Peptopro

Postworkout:
Immediately, Protein Shake
15-30min later, VERY heavy meal

L-Theanine in the green tea helps balance out the jittery effects of caffeine. Tyrosine has also been implicated in a number studies as a major player in CNS function/regeneration. Thus you will also balance out the possible adrenal/cns drainin effects of the caffeine. Tyrosine is thought to increase neurotransmitter number and is a precursor of noradrenaline and dopamine. Choline is required to create Acetylcholine (ACh), the most essential neurotransmitter when creating muscular force.

Foods heavy in tyrosine are eggs (1904mg/egg). Eggs also contain 1388mg or choline/egg.

So, before training

3 boiled eggs and some Green tea imo is the perfect pre-workout supplement/meal.

2/16/13 9:29 PM
rpribyl

Good luck finding a pre with no caffeine. Might as well just get modern bcaa and other aminos Phone Post
2/16/13 10:37 PM
Just_Scrap
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I usually just have a cup or two of coffee pre-workout and a good quality protein afterwards. I keep boiled eggs and tuna fish around. I honestly feel like supplements for the most part are a huge waste of money. A proper diet is all you really need man. I take a 5000ui of D3 and ON's fish oil, that's about it. Body composition is about 80% diet. Phone Post
2/19/13 9:45 PM
BLPorritt
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm digging F3's Annihilate Phone Post
2/21/13 3:28 AM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Il pretty old school when it comes to pre and post workout supplements. Firstly to drop some weight - the best action plan starts in the kitchen. Don't buy supplements, buy real healthy organic food (it tastes better) and don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't know. Pre workout. Watch the first 10 minutes of Gladiator. Get in a healthy mindset and go for it. Post workout. Eat some hepatitis protein and relax. Good luck with your goals. Get plenty of sleep and relax. Phone Post
2/21/13 3:30 AM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry iPhone autocorrect. You get the picture :) Phone Post
2/21/13 3:42 AM
random_muppett

^^^^^ I've sacked off the pre workout supps with pretty much no noticeable difference to my workout.

Sleeping waaaaay better too now there's pretty much no caffeine at all in my diet (I don't drink tea, coffee, soda etc). Phone Post
2/21/13 4:12 AM
BLPorritt
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 - Il pretty old school when it comes to pre and post workout supplements. Firstly to drop some weight - the best action plan starts in the kitchen. Don't buy supplements, buy real healthy organic food (it tastes better) and don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't know. Pre workout. Watch the first 10 minutes of Gladiator. Get in a healthy mindset and go for it. Post workout. Eat some hepatitis protein and relax. Good luck with your goals. Get plenty of sleep and relax. Phone Post
Not a fan of Hep...

;-) Phone Post
2/22/13 10:20 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLPorritt - 
JFC1001 - Il pretty old school when it comes to pre and post workout supplements. Firstly to drop some weight - the best action plan starts in the kitchen. Don't buy supplements, buy real healthy organic food (it tastes better) and don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't know. Pre workout. Watch the first 10 minutes of Gladiator. Get in a healthy mindset and go for it. Post workout. Eat some hepatitis protein and relax. Good luck with your goals. Get plenty of sleep and relax. Phone Post
Not a fan of Hep...

;-) Phone Post

Never did like that shit. :)
3/15/13 11:44 AM
Gu31232

Pre workout I tried the MP assault Watermelon. Tastes like crap to me, but I felt great throughout the workout. I tried C4 just based on what I've heard about it from other guys at the gym. The C4 tastes great but I feel TERRIBLE for like the first 20 minutes of my workout, like my skin gets itchy around my face and ears, my whole body tingles, i feel just plain uncomfortable. I don't really feel much from it from an energy standpoint. I went back on the MP and in my honest opinion I just like it more, I can get over the taste and I have a way better workout. Probably more mental than anything but it does have creatine in it which was something I wasn't taking before. MP all the way for me.

Post workout I take the AMP wheybolic 60, expensive as shit but I feel noticeably less sore than before. (Im on keto so no carbs post-workout, yet I still am making gains with a caloric surplus Phone Post
3/15/13 12:26 PM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i normally just used caffeine/tyrosine pre workout (or ECA back in the day), but recently i've started using X-Fit Trainer by MHP, and really like it. my workouts are more or less MMA/cardio focused, and i think this helps get me going and gives me a good boost in my workouts, and allows me to push harder.

here's a link to it, for those interested: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mhp/x-fit-trainer.html
3/15/13 12:29 PM
BshMstr
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gu31232 -  Pre workout I tried the MP assault Watermelon. Tastes like crap to me, but I felt great throughout the workout. I tried C4 just based on what I've heard about it from other guys at the gym. The C4 tastes great but I feel TERRIBLE for like the first 20 minutes of my workout, like my skin gets itchy around my face and ears, my whole body tingles, i feel just plain uncomfortable. I don't really feel much from it from an energy standpoint. I went back on the MP and in my honest opinion I just like it more, I can get over the taste and I have a way better workout. Probably more mental than anything but it does have creatine in it which was something I wasn't taking before. MP all the way for me.

Post workout I take the AMP wheybolic 60, expensive as shit but I feel noticeably less sore than before. (Im on keto so no carbs post-workout, yet I still am making gains with a caloric surplus Phone Post

the itchy feeling you get is prolly from the beta-alanine...
3/15/13 12:46 PM
Gu31232

BshMstr -
Gu31232 -  Pre workout I tried the MP assault Watermelon. Tastes like crap to me, but I felt great throughout the workout. I tried C4 just based on what I've heard about it from other guys at the gym. The C4 tastes great but I feel TERRIBLE for like the first 20 minutes of my workout, like my skin gets itchy around my face and ears, my whole body tingles, i feel just plain uncomfortable. I don't really feel much from it from an energy standpoint. I went back on the MP and in my honest opinion I just like it more, I can get over the taste and I have a way better workout. Probably more mental than anything but it does have creatine in it which was something I wasn't taking before. MP all the way for me.

the itchy feeling you get is prolly from the beta-alanine...
Its just an uncomfortable itchy hot feeling, I was drawn to the C4 partly because I heard the beta-alanine helped in pushing out a few more reps. Not worth it IMO Phone Post
3/15/13 2:36 PM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can find it, Rivalus Complx5 is incredible Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.