UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> P90X and Insanity programs

2/15/13 3:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BazUK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On my last trip offshore I acquired both the P90X and the Beachbody /insanity programs.

I haven't had a chance to look through them yet though.

Any opinions/experience on/with these programs?

Baz
2/15/13 3:50 PM
germ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing insanity for about a month and it seems pretty decent granted this is my first attempt at any of the circuit systems, so I don't have much of a reference. My wife says the workout is about equivelent in difficulty to taebo minus the "karate" focus. (if you remember that old tape set) Anyway, the workouts are fairly difficult but relatively short by the time you get done with the warm-up/stretch. Nothing too new with the exercise choices mostly things like burpees and squat jumps that the dude kinda renamed. I guess the same company produces P90X and Insanity cause at the beginning of the tape they try and sell the other set. From that short video the P90X guy seems more annoying than the insanity dude. Lastly, everybody in the background is in great shape including muscularly and I seriously doubt they got that way from insanity only.
2/15/13 10:23 PM
Taku
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/13 8:07 PM

Check out this asrticle from my blog for my thoughts.

TAKU

http://tinyurl.com/c66gfem

2/16/13 10:57 PM
Just_Scrap
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku -

Check out this asrticle from my blog for my thoughts.

TAKU

http://tinyurl.com/c66gfem

Nice article man. I totally agree Phone Post
2/18/13 6:49 PM
Palmala Handerson
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both programs work really well as they take all of the thought process out of traneing. You put in the DVD and follow along; as opposed to wandering into a gym and wondering WTF you'll do that day, taking WAY too long between sets, socializing etc. etc.

I did both and had excellent results both times, although I felt I got a little too skinny at the end of insanity. My other complaint about Insanity is that it's REALLY hard on the knees. The entire program with the exception of the recovery day is plyometrics. 5 days of plyometrics a week is rediculous. The first month isn't too bad as most of the workouts are under 40 minutes. The second month the workouts are pushing an hour 5 days a week. That's too much jumping IMO.
2/18/13 7:29 PM
Pikes
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both programs seem to be more about muscle endurance and burning calories. With proper diet, you'll lose weight at a decent rate and hopefully maintain some muscle.

So, overpriced. If you need someone telling you how to do circuit training, try one of the 50,000 YouTube videos that are free. Phone Post
2/18/13 8:56 PM
Palmala Handerson
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pikes -  Both programs seem to be more about muscle endurance and burning calories. With proper diet, you'll lose weight at a decent rate and hopefully maintain some muscle.

So, overpriced. If you need someone telling you how to do circuit training, try one of the 50,000 YouTube videos that are free. Phone Post

I don't really feel it's overpriced. I think you can buy P90X at Wal-mart now for a 100 bucks. That's pretty good for 3 months training, a nutrition guide, online support etc.

A Gym membership would cost a lot more and you wouldn't be able to work out in your underwear.
2/19/13 8:21 AM
BazUK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got both programs for free, so I thought that I may as well have a look at them.

Baz
2/19/13 2:23 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, I find them to be an inefficient use of time (and money), but when it comes down to it, the most efficient and optimal workout for you is the one you'll do consistently. If you like them, then do it up. I know a few people that have turned into absolute beasts using P90x and Insanity.
2/19/13 2:41 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BazUK - I got both programs for free, so I thought that I may as well have a look at them.

Baz

For that price I don't see how you could go wrong.
2/28/13 2:52 AM
Cookie Monster
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting phase two of P90 x (first time using it or any other of those type) and I really like it. Phone Post
3/1/13 2:37 PM
Wiggy
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like Insanity, but I definitely don't do it every day (the above link will tell you why -- it's dangerous because of poor program design).

Neither one of them have any real program design.

I saw a commercial for it on TV last week: one payment of $14.99.

Your introductory payment is $14.99.  They'll charge you the rest later on, either as a lump sum or in payments.  This is a common marketing tactic.

Both programs seem to be more about muscle endurance and burning calories. With proper diet, you'll lose weight at a decent rate and hopefully maintain some muscle.

One of my customers did Insanity.  Lost around 20lbs in 60 days (he'd been doing nothing before that), but put on no muscle, didn't get stronger, and the overuse of plyometrics was wrecking his knees ankles, feet, and hips - he was always limping and constantly in pain.  (Something I've heard more than once from people who use Insanity - even from those not overweight.)  By doing intelligent circuit training I've taught him, he's since lost 25lbs, put on a bunch of muscle, and is stronger than he's been in 20+ years.

Something to remember about P90X - it advocates "muscle confusion".  There's no such thing as "muscle confusion".

P90X isn't a terrible program, but nowhere near worth what they charge for it.  And it sure as hell isn't something an athlete should *ever* be doing.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com/book

3/4/13 1:02 PM
Palmala Handerson

Wiggy - 

I really like Insanity, but I definitely don't do it every day (the above link will tell you why -- it's dangerous because of poor program design).

Neither one of them have any real program design.

I saw a commercial for it on TV last week: one payment of $14.99.

Your introductory payment is $14.99.  They'll charge you the rest later on, either as a lump sum or in payments.  This is a common marketing tactic.

One of my customers did Insanity.  Lost around 20lbs in 60 days (he'd been doing nothing before that), but put on no muscle, didn't get stronger, and the overuse of plyometrics was wrecking his knees ankles, feet, and hips - he was always limping and constantly in pain.  (Something I've heard more than once from people who use Insanity - even from those not overweight.)  By doing intelligent circuit training I've taught him, he's since lost 25lbs, put on a bunch of muscle, and is stronger than he's been in 20+ years.

Something to remember about P90X - it advocates "muscle confusion".  There's no such thing as "muscle confusion".

P90X isn't a terrible program, but nowhere near worth what they charge for it.  And it sure as hell isn't something an athlete should *ever* be doing.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com/book

Why is P90X bad for athletes? Is it too much?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.