UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> should the UFC sign Kawajiri @145?

2/15/13 6:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unfilter - 
Wasa-B - 

You know what's weird? When KJ and Gil fought in Pride, Gil won but it was very close and some thought KJ won.
Gil later lost to Thomson then came back to beat Thomson then KJ beat Thomson then Gil smashes KJ then Gil beats but barely gets by Josh.

Kawajiri also beat JZ where some though JZ beat Josh. I think JZ faced KJ just coming off injury though.

What gives?

yeah mma math is an ouroborosian circle, in which one can observe logic endlessly devouring itself tail first~

that's my point though; Kawajiri is right up in that mix.

The biggest outlier in that group is KJ's performance against Gil in SF. No excuses, KJ got smashed but was still weird, he looked lost.

He manhandles Josh in the clinch but cant get close to Gil. Gil did note that Josh gave him some tips and noted how strong KJ ws in the clinch and you can see Gil used knees in the clinch to keep KJ out.
2/15/13 7:12 PM
Wasa-B
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

trolltimate - The Melendez finish is still fresh in my mind. That was pretty brutal.

Blue me: http://youtu.be/rODHpkP5cMs

Dont think we can post Zuffa fights but yeah, it was brutal and KJ never got off in that fight. KJ has never been dominated like that...although Aoki finished him faster than Gil did. Even against Gomi, KJ didnt get finished that quick.
2/15/13 7:13 PM
Wasa-B

So can anyone confirm Kawajiri actually got an offer but turned it down or if talks were in place?
2/15/13 7:16 PM
Wasa-B

Its a shame because outside of Okami and Hioki and Aoki, Kawajiri is the best Japanese fighter and though he lost to Aoki, his game is more UFC friendly. Gomi and Yamamoto would have been real fan friendly in the UFC back in their primes. Outside Okami and Yamamoto, Kawajiri was probably one of the few who could match physical power with the rest.
2/15/13 11:19 PM
unfilter
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

definitely agree with describing his style as 'UFC friendly.' 

i know gil gave him a pretty thorough drubbing but i think crusher could easily hang with the top 10 at 145.

top 5?  dunno.

how would he do against edgar or guida? 

actually i'm wondering what a fight with hioki would look like...

2/15/13 11:48 PM
Kunu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes Phone Post
2/15/13 11:50 PM
yellow c0ckahlc

Paul Rudd, you always beat me to it.

Ohjess.

2/15/13 11:57 PM
Wasa-B

unfilter - 

definitely agree with describing his style as 'UFC friendly.' 

i know gil gave him a pretty thorough drubbing but i think crusher could easily hang with the top 10 at 145.

top 5?  dunno.

how would he do against edgar or guida? 

actually i'm wondering what a fight with hioki would look like...

Funny enough, you could have a few world class matchups at FW between the 3 asians in Hioki, Zombie and Kawajiri. Hioki vs Kawajiri would be cool to determine who's the best Japanese 145er and then a combination of them 2 with Zombie to determine best Asian 145er.

Kawajiri is actually quite similar to Guida in build and People harp on Guida but he does have subs, just not against the elite guys. Kawa has a wicked arm triangle but doubt he would be tapping guys like Pettis, Gray, Hioki, etc too.

Zombie vs Hioki could actually happen in the UFC and thus the first inter-Asian UFC super fight, lol. But Zombie's in line for the title when he comes back, at least another win and he should be one of the top candidates. Not sure when he's back but Zombie vs Lamas is a perfect contender bout to get shot after Pettis.

Edgar would beat Kawa...but Edgar could end up beating everyone but Aldo, which he almost did anyhow (I did think Aldo won for the record).

What i meant by UFC friendly too is that he has the effective for the UFC but Gomi and Kid in their hey day would have been even more fan friendly. Both Okami and Hioki have solid ground games but they both lack GNP, Kawajiri can "crush" of course.
2/16/13 12:01 AM
InspiritMick

crossfire - No. Tuf tryouts. Phone Post
Fuck off. Seriously Phone Post
2/16/13 1:57 AM
Chromium
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On paper? Yes.

Having actually seen his last fight? Dear god that was one of the worst displays of lay & prey I have ever seen. So no thnx, not right now.
2/16/13 2:04 AM
orcus

Yes, they should.

2/16/13 2:21 AM
TheMessiah

Sudo21 - Yes.
. Phone Post
2/16/13 7:31 PM
Wasa-B

Chromium - On paper? Yes.

Having actually seen his last fight? Dear god that was one of the worst displays of lay & prey I have ever seen. So no thnx, not right now.

You havent seen worse examples of "Lay n Pray" than this? Not one of the Crusher's most crushing displays but he attempts to pass plenty, he attempts to GNP plenty. Was he as successful as he normally is? No. Omigawa has a pretty decent guard though and is a pretty good benchmark for how Kawa would do in the UFC.

Omigawa lost to Mendes but i dont recall him getting completely dominated on the ground. He did get cut but dont rememeber if Mendes was bludgeoning him or even got any superior positions. Omigawa did nearly armbar Mendes.

Believe Alcantara domianted Omigawa, and that there was some thinking Omi tapped but it was missed? Didnt see that fight though. Didnt see Manny vs OMigawa either.

I think there are just too many people who cant or dont wanna recognize efforts on the ground that are unsuccessful. It doesnt mean that that is "LNP" necessarily.
2/16/13 7:35 PM
Wasa-B

In R1, as soon as Kawa gets the td, Omigawa threatens a leg lock then Kawa gets out, then briefly gets to half and is also trying to set up his fav sub in the arm triangle? Did you catch that? From there, the action is pretty stale for the rest of the round but Omigawa tied up KJ pretty good to try for the same armlock he nearly got Mendes in (and the same one he got Escovedo in iirc). Also every time, Kawajiri tried to posture up, Omi pushes his hips off and kicks him away...that is good defense and control by Omigawa.

That is how grappling and the ground goes often. It doesnt mean its "LNP."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.