UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 7yr old student with cauli ear

2/15/13 11:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
N5Z
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive been teaching kids for 3 years now and this is the first time ive had to deal with this. Student is son of a family friend. They asked what they should do and I said see a doc even though in my experience docs have little to no idea how/what to do with cauli ears. Doc refers them to an ENT with an apt a week away. Mom is afraid ear will be perma scarred by then.

I have had moderate success with draining my own ears. We have a veterinarian/wrestler who has more experience than myself at it. Any options im missing?

Fyi, its a pretty gnarly bubble, the kid thinks its cool, and ear guards are already on the way. Phone Post
2/15/13 11:45 PM
Braxmax
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just remove the ear. In kids under 10 they regrow when they're removed, kinda like teeth. It's pretty awesome how God designed the human body and kids are resilient. Phone Post
2/15/13 11:56 PM
SC MMA MD
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have the parents call the ENT office or have their primary doctor call to explain the issue. The ENT doctor knows that addressing cauliflower ear is a time sensitive issue, but the person doing the scheduling probably just gave them the next open regular appointment. Friends with kids in wrestling or BJJ have gotten next day appointments with ENT because of cauliflower ear even though the doctor did not have a regular appointment open for a few weeks Phone Post
2/16/13 12:43 AM
shen
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/16/13 12:54 AM
Nothing to worry about... even if it becomes cauliflower ear. Other kids are usually very forgiving about minor deformities and such.
2/17/13 12:04 AM
Baroquen Record
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clothes pins on the ear will help. as sick and painful as it sounds.
2/17/13 2:13 AM
MickColins
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - Nothing to worry about... even if it becomes cauliflower ear. Other kids are usually very forgiving about minor deformities and such.
On the plus side, he'll at least have the ability to stand up to bullies. On the downside, he's a deformed monster whose skull looks like a stress toy being squeezed. His parents and family will learn to live with the shame and, hopefully, they will find a mask or hood to put on the kid during holiday gatherings. 50 years from now, they will write broadway plays about him haunting his school while singing in a lovely baritone while double legging bullies. Phone Post
2/17/13 9:39 AM
shark tank
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i had my instructor drain my ear....then a friend (as it kept filling back up) and finally i just did it myself. do it for them. i had success with an insulin needle and it really didn't hurt much at all compared to the larger syringe my instructor insisted on using.
2/17/13 10:40 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah...

1) Don't drain it yourself
2) Show up at the ENT with the student and don't leave until he's attended to the kid.

We give a lot of crap on this board to people who come here with medical questions, but in this case it's a kid -- less funny.
2/18/13 1:27 AM
On the Mat
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wrap it with an ace bandage. the pressure will push the blood out. and most of the cali will go away. wrap at night is best. cool kid
2/18/13 12:30 PM
N5Z
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never put pressure on the ear before draining it.  Causes more seperation between skin/cartilage.  I called the ENT myself and the kid is being seen today.  4 days from when it happened but should be ok.  Thanks all.

2/18/13 2:35 PM
leglockfan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have the doctor drain and compress it and tell the kid and the parents that he cannot come back until it is fully healed.

Why would the Dr schedule an ENT visit a week away. If you don't drain it within the first 24-48 hours you are going to have a baddddd time.
2/18/13 4:31 PM
Shinsplint
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever happens don't let them try and cut it for drainage.
2/18/13 5:17 PM
BenBJJ
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to get old Uncle Herb to do mine. He was a bit rough with the old penknife and the infection cleared up in under a month.
2/18/13 8:16 PM
PayItForward
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

put some tussin on it.
2/19/13 12:56 PM
N5Z

So apparently the doc refused to drain it and had the parents agree to some 'minor' surgery.

On the positive end doc also found some abnormality with the kids inner ear wall(that other docs missed) that is the cause of his speech impediment. Easily treatable too. Cauli-ear was blessing in disguise. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:08 PM
onyx2002
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way! Thanks for the update that is interesting.
2/19/13 1:45 PM
A_Butler
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Braxmax -  Just remove the ear. In kids under 10 they regrow when they're removed, kinda like teeth. It's pretty awesome how God designed the human body and kids are resilient. Phone Post

hahaha. Look no further. This is the only solution.
2/19/13 1:56 PM
biggator
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow at the happy ending!
2/19/13 1:59 PM
biggator

buddy that used to work with me had an speech impediment related to inner ear problems and when girls at the bar would ask about it he would just tell them he was from Australia. Worked more than any game i had at the time and i was always amazed by him turning a "perceived" neg into a positive.
2/19/13 7:22 PM
Publicnoose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pics Phone Post
2/19/13 7:39 PM
MickColins

Wait a tic. Not only did something get solved on the Atama /mma tv forum, but good came of it? Meteors were the start, it's the end of the world.

/etches Brooks was here on ceiling
//hangs self. Phone Post
2/20/13 4:37 AM
ozjiujitsu
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - Wait a tic. Not only did something get solved on the Atama /mma tv forum, but good came of it? Meteors were the start, it's the end of the world.

/etches Brooks was here on ceiling
//hangs self. Phone Post
Ha Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.