UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shields returns to WW wants Rory, Condit, or Jake

2/16/13 2:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grimreapers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Source: Jake Shields returns to welterweight, wants Ellenberger, Condit, or MacDonald next

I'm not a fan of Jake, but what happend to him? He was so dominant in Strikeforce, and in the UFC he has looked horrible in just about every fight. He should have remained a MW and never gone down to WW imo

2/16/13 3:03 AM
epic hero

Edited: 02/16/13 3:05 AM
He bulked up a lot for his MW fights and then dropped right back down, he was cutting too much weight

He didn't want to fight at 170 the UFC wanted him too
2/16/13 3:03 AM
BeatonHauff
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was the same lay and pray fighter in strikeforce, the last person he's subbed was Robbie Lawler in 2009. I'm not hating, he's got a good top control, but one of the most boring fighters in the UFC imo. Phone Post
2/16/13 3:06 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero - He bulked up a lot for his MW fights and then dropped right back down, he was cutting too much weight

Maybe this, but from what I've seen his style just lends itself to make him look terrible even when he is winning against top guys. Phone Post
2/16/13 3:11 AM
epic hero

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
epic hero - He bulked up a lot for his MW fights and then dropped right back down, he was cutting too much weight

Maybe this, but from what I've seen his style just lends itself to make him look terrible even when he is winning against top guys. Phone Post

He's not an exciting fighter but he looked really drained at WW that's all I'm saying lol. Weird that he would go back to MW and once again drop down
2/16/13 3:16 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

lol@Jake.

wtf has he done lately that warrants a fight with either of those men? Even if they lose their next fights, Jake's still down the ladder.

He beat Akiyama, then failed a post drug test at MW to Herman, so now he wants to drop back to 170? Amazing.

2/16/13 3:17 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In other words, Jake Shields wants to get annihilated.

2/16/13 3:17 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epic hero -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 

He's not an exciting fighter but he looked really drained at WW that's all I'm saying lol. Weird that he would go back to MW and once again drop down
Yeah I know and I'm not sure I disagree. He's a poor man's Okami at this point imo and I think a lot of the big names he beat a few years ago would win the rematches. Phone Post
2/16/13 3:19 AM
BeatonHauff
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only cool thing about the akiyama fight was his judo trip, other then that, Jake made mma striking look fucking atrocious as usual. Phone Post
2/16/13 3:22 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

yellow c0ckahlc -

lol@Jake.

wtf has he done lately that warrants a fight with either of those men? Even if they lose their next fights, Jake's still down the ladder.

He beat Akiyama, then failed a post drug test at MW to Herman, so now he wants to drop back to 170? Amazing.

He's probably thinking if his buddy can get rewarded with a title shot for losing and and serving a year suspension, surely he can do pretty well after winning and only getting suspended for 6 months. Phone Post
2/16/13 3:24 AM
yellow c0ckahlc

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
yellow c0ckahlc -

lol@Jake.

He's probably thinking if his buddy can get rewarded with a title shot for losing and and serving a year suspension, surely he can do pretty well after winning and only getting suspended for 6 months. Phone Post

I can understand him wanting a top opponent, because everyone does, but he's not deserving of a fight with either of those men right now.

Have him fight Marquardt.

2/16/13 4:59 AM
gracie
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake has lost his Jiu-Jitsu "roots" and is listening to the people who tell him to depend more on his stand up striking when he has always been a wrestler-type fighter. He does not go for guillotines  anymore and he doesn't keep trying for the takedown like before. Remember when he fought Hendo and at first his takedown attempts kept getting stuffed. But he kept trying and eventually he kept getting the takedown. He keeps going to Thailand but I am sorry to say he is too robotic with his stand up. Jake, stick to what worked before!!

2/16/13 5:01 AM
gracie
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BeatonHauff -  He was the same lay and pray fighter in strikeforce, the last person he's subbed was Robbie Lawler in 2009. I'm not hating, he's got a good top control, but one of the most boring fighters in the UFC imo. Phone Post

Yeah you're right Jake can be too conservative but he did submit 8 fighters in a row.

2/16/13 5:02 AM
Mufasatheking

put him against the winner of matt riddle/che mills
2/16/13 5:04 AM
Dmoney35
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how the fuck did he ever beat hendo? Phone Post
2/16/13 5:24 AM
MartialArtsMixed
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i enjoy his dominant grappling skills.
2/16/13 5:32 AM
32Hunter

BeatonHauff -  The only cool thing about the akiyama fight was his judo trip, other then that, Jake made mma striking look fucking atrocious as usual. Phone Post

yet he beat sexyama striking.
2/16/13 6:00 AM
GoldMedaLInTapping(R)

Dmoney35 - how the fuck did he ever beat hendo? Phone Post
This still boggles my mind Phone Post
2/16/13 6:11 AM
gracie

I know it boggles my mind as well. This is how he beat Hendo: He took Hendos best punch and survived. Jake said his game plan was to keep throwing left kicks to Hendos head so that Hendo would need to keep that deadly right hand busy blocking Jakes kicks. Jake did the impossible..he out-wrestled Hendo and tired him out rendering the "H-bomb" useless in later rounds due to Jake wearing Hendo down with grappling.

2/16/13 10:39 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

yellow c0ckahlc -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
yellow c0ckahlc -

lol@Jake.

I can understand him wanting a top opponent, because everyone does, but he's not deserving of a fight with either of those men right now.

Have him fight Marquardt.

That would be a weird matchup. Hard to call Phone Post
2/16/13 11:03 AM
shootfightermike
957 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

2/16/13 11:06 AM
orcus

Edited: 02/16/13 11:06 AM
BeatonHauff -  He was the same lay and pray fighter in strikeforce, the last person he's subbed was Robbie Lawler in 2009. I'm not hating, he's got a good top control, but one of the most boring fighters in the UFC imo. Phone Post

He had 8 straight finishes going into the Mayhem fight. Mayhem and Dan were the only guys he didn't finish in SF/EliteXC.

Anyway, the problem isn't that he's not finishing in the UFC, it's that he looks completely terrible, no matter if it's 170 or 185. Before coming over he may have been boring (at least in those two decisions), but was also completely dominant. Now he looks like he's struggling in every fight. And it's not like Akiyama and Ed Herman are worldbeaters.

2/16/13 11:08 AM
nolabrum

I think Maia vs Shields would be very interesting. Kinda a step down for Maia but worth it.
2/16/13 11:08 AM
NorthFromHere
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Shields vs Maia must happen
2/16/13 11:15 AM
R1WARRIOR

The only good thing about Shields being on a card..... It gives you time to go take a poop and to refill the rum @ coke before the next fight. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.