UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Shields returns to WW wants Rory, Condit, or Jake

2/16/13 11:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cumprido1
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields vs Maia would be nice Phone Post
2/16/13 12:21 PM
BeatonHauff
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -
BeatonHauff -  He was the same lay and pray fighter in strikeforce, the last person he's subbed was Robbie Lawler in 2009. I'm not hating, he's got a good top control, but one of the most boring fighters in the UFC imo. Phone Post

He had 8 straight finishes going into the Mayhem fight. Mayhem and Dan were the only guys he didn't finish in SF/EliteXC.

Anyway, the problem isn't that he's not finishing in the UFC, it's that he looks completely terrible, no matter if it's 170 or 185. Before coming over he may have been boring (at least in those two decisions), but was also completely dominant. Now he looks like he's struggling in every fight. And it's not like Akiyama and Ed Herman are worldbeaters.

He has 6 subs in 7 fights which is impressive, but look at the names in that streak, the best guy being Mike Pyle. The problem is he's facing top well rounded guys, not guys who are predominantly strikers. He gets hate because all he does is lay on people, like I said he's got good top control but has yet to come close to subbing anyone in the UFC. And its saaaaaaad. Phone Post
2/16/13 1:40 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - Shields vs Maia must happen
Shields doesn't deserve that right now. And I think Maia is better everywhere to be honest. Phone Post
2/16/13 1:53 PM
Shoebert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake shields is busy hangin out with his bitches IMO.

2/16/13 1:57 PM
robopimp
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields vs Fitch makes a lot of sense right now. Phone Post
2/16/13 2:26 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields vs Maia or Woodley please
2/16/13 2:41 PM
ortman166

Nick Fury - Shields vs. Maia would be gold.
Would be cool to see Maia destroy him too Phone Post
2/17/13 1:51 PM
MartialArtsMixed
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gracie -

I know it boggles my mind as well. This is how he beat Hendo: He took Hendos best punch and survived. Jake said his game plan was to keep throwing left kicks to Hendos head so that Hendo would need to keep that deadly right hand busy blocking Jakes kicks. Jake did the impossible..he out-wrestled Hendo and tired him out rendering the "H-bomb" useless in later rounds due to Jake wearing Hendo down with grappling.

And hendo had a bad back for that fight. Phone Post
2/17/13 2:40 PM
sincitydc
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can he worry less about moving weight classes and just learn to strike Phone Post
2/17/13 3:13 PM
nickgjj

Worst hands in the UFC by far...no amount of weight cutting or steroids will fix that. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:28 PM
show no mercy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nickgjj -  Worst hands in the UFC by far...no amount of weight cutting or steroids will fix that. Phone Post

if he went back to his original gameplans it wouldnt matter.

hendo has great KO power, as does lawler.

if jake went back to his submission/takedown game, he would shine
2/17/13 3:33 PM
Ian King
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoebert -

I don't evening like Jake Shields, but.... Big Pimpin! Phone Post
2/17/13 3:50 PM
sincitydc
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nickgjj - Worst hands in the UFC by far...no amount of weight cutting or steroids will fix that. Phone Post
He has the technical striking of Royce Gracie Phone Post
2/17/13 5:15 PM
boldtiger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boldtiger MMA Contests, Owner
gracie - 

Jake has lost his Jiu-Jitsu "roots" and is listening to the people who tell him to depend more on his stand up striking when he has always been a wrestler-type fighter. He does not go for guillotines  anymore and he doesn't keep trying for the takedown like before. Remember when he fought Hendo and at first his takedown attempts kept getting stuffed. But he kept trying and eventually he kept getting the takedown. He keeps going to Thailand but I am sorry to say he is too robotic with his stand up. Jake, stick to what worked before!!

I think your about right gracie.  jake is a "one of a kind" amazing grappler.  nobody has made him look bad(except his loss to ellenberger which he probably shouldn't have competed due to his fathers death) its true though, he has done too much standup since he got to the ufc, he should go back to shooting for takedowns.  nobody in the sport can get the best of him on the ground.  gsp looked like crap against him(took more damage) and he's the best in the division.  if you ask gilbert melendez, nick and nate diaz who the best fighter of the bunch is, they will all say jake.  i had a chance to meet him at the ufc expo, couldn't meet a more humble and likeable guy.  nobody will ever talk bad about his character.  simply, shields is one of the best.

2/17/13 5:48 PM
topshelf720

Grimreapers - 

Source: Jake Shields returns to welterweight, wants Ellenberger, Condit, or MacDonald next

I'm not a fan of Jake, but what happend to him? He was so dominant in Strikeforce, and in the UFC he has looked horrible in just about every fight. He should have remained a MW and never gone down to WW imo

He looked the same in both places. Weak striking, great takedowns/submissions. His game will never change...terribly boring style and there is no less of a threat standing in either division th enter Jake. Same guy...just not fighting guys like Mayhem or Robbie "I've never defended a takedown" Lawler.
2/17/13 5:50 PM
Mit
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've always thought he was over rated. His biggest claim to fame was dec a jacked up Dan Henderson who knocked him onto Queer Street moments into the first round. Phone Post
2/17/13 6:05 PM
Flexo
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It will never stop blowing my mind that he beat Hendo. Phone Post
2/17/13 7:31 PM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shoebert - 

2/17/13 7:40 PM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he talks shit about Hendricks but doesn't want to fight him lol
2/18/13 1:20 AM
PwntiusPilate

Shields vs Gunnar is absolutely the fight to make.
2/18/13 2:22 AM
Shoebert

LOL Jakes gettin touchy feely with that guy. Phone Post
2/18/13 2:46 AM
cdmontgo
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/13 3:12 AM
I think all three of those fights sound good

I'd setup the Jake vs Jake fight first. The UFC sees Rory as an investment for the future, and they have less invested into Jake than they do Carlos.

Give him Ellenberger, and then setup the Condit fight if he wins. He will probably need another fight before Rory has had a chance to build himself up enough to be a legit title contender.

Sheilds vs Maia could be a good one. If Maia loses and Jake gets a win, that fight could make sense. Paulo Thiago and Diego Sanchez would be good fights too. Hopefully, they fit into the title picture enough to make sense down the road.
2/18/13 7:04 AM
Boofhead3
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc -

lol@Jake.

wtf has he done lately that warrants a fight with either of those men? Even if they lose their next fights, Jake's still down the ladder.

He beat Akiyama, then failed a post drug test at MW to Herman, so now he wants to drop back to 170? Amazing.

This!! Phone Post
2/18/13 6:05 PM
Mit
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PwntiusPilate - Shields vs Gunnar is absolutely the fight to make.
I like this fight to reintroduce shields to ww. Phone Post
2/18/13 6:29 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1084 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He did beat the man who beat the man..so doesn't that make him....ah, never mind, that's crazy talk. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.