UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> MGNYC and Gainesville Association

2/16/13 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As some of you know, I recently opened a small academy (650 sq feet of mat space) in Gainesville, Florida to represent my teacher,  Marcelo.

I'm trying to update my website on a regular basis with pictures- because who doesnt like checking out a website that gets updated constantly?

I had the pleasure of going to NYC this week for Marcelo's grand opening.  It was an awesome time, and I was fortunate enough to sit with Jacare, Liborio, Marcelo, etc for a couple of meals.  (It is pretty incredible when you hear Jacare talk about how awesome his teacher Rolls Gracie was)

Enjoy the pictures.  And yes, I know I have to lose some weight and get a haircut (and grow a foot or so):

2/16/13 2:06 PM
biggator
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice! dig the web sight. im in the panhandle so ill have to come check you out next time i make it down that way.
2/16/13 2:32 PM
Hunter V
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kying, will you be at world's this year? Gotta meet up w a fellow Alliance guy after all. And holy crap Marcelo is taller than you!
2/16/13 4:25 PM
dcvillain
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for kying!
2/16/13 4:43 PM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the cake is awesome
2/16/13 5:01 PM
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunter V - Kying, will you be at world's this year? Gotta meet up w a fellow Alliance guy after all. And holy crap Marcelo is taller than you!

I'm not sure yet- I would love to, but now I have paying customers, I cant leave town too much...and if I do, it really should be to train with MG in NYC.

Besides, I'm really boring company- but thanks for thinking about meeting up with me!

Yeah, I'm not even 5'5" and Marcelo says hes barely 5'8
2/16/13 5:57 PM
Hunter V
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

its worlds, if anything they know that is important!

And I still need to train w MG when I go to NYC next.
2/18/13 12:48 AM
kying418

(I'm not really trying to promote my little school, as I doubt any of you will be swinging by Gainesville, FL anytime soon- but if you do, you are always welcome to train free for 7 days!)

When I was thinking about opening my academy, I was really interested in going to Lloyd's seminars. However, my schedule never quite matched up with his.

In the end, I am happy that I went a different route (I might end up poor from it, but I feel good at the end of the day)

Interestingly enough, Tom Callos- Keenan's stepfather, had a big impact on me on how to operate and market a school- this was way before the TLI scandal, etc. He was the one that suggested that the right thing to do is to NOT bind students in lengthy contracts.

From my website (I also have my schedule and price posted)

"At the Marcelo Garcia Gainesville Assocation, we are committed to providing the highest quality instruction and training at a fair and honest price.

All Inclusive Pricing:

Our membership plans are all-inclusive. There are no additional charges- We do not have fees for registration, belts, grading tests, or promotions.

No Contracts:

As your martial arts instructor, it is my duty to provide you with outstanding instruction, training, and service. There are no contracts because I want you to come to class because you love it-not because you are obligated to!

Free Soap:

Because we care about your health and cleanliness, all members will receive a free Defense Soap (limited quantities) (www.defensesoap.com). These special soap contain contain two of nature's most powerful antimicrobial essential oils: Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus Oil. These oils have been known to control skin bacteria and to be a natural remedy for skin Infections such as MRSA, Staph, Impetigo, and Ringworm.

Supplemental Training:

If you are already training at a local mma/bjj academy, you are always welcome to train with us- Check out our special discount for people who want to supplement their training!"
2/18/13 12:51 AM
kying418

I give out Free bars of Defense Soap, as needed to each of my paying students (beginners can train free for 30 days)

Initally, I was going to give a free bar a month. But then realized that I don't even go through that amount, and my students would end up having a huge stockpile of unused soap (which costs me $). Now, I will give it to them when they tell me they are out of it.
2/18/13 12:51 AM
kying418

Hunter V - its worlds, if anything they know that is important!

And I still need to train w MG when I go to NYC next.

You should definitely go- it is an amazing experience that I recommend to everyone!
2/18/13 2:15 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats on the gym! I enjoy your posts as I must be Marcelo's second biggest fan (after you of course) Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.