UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many "interim" title defenses until champion?

2/16/13 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
D241
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it's UFC's decision, but we the people should recognize it more than they do.

Anyways, how many title defenses must Barao have until he's recognized as the champion? Isn't Cruz out till 2014? 

If Barao defends his belt 2-3 more times before Cruz fights, is Barao still "interim" champion?

2/16/13 6:16 PM
Neil Funk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck this interim champion shit. Rename it "Intercontinental Champion" and I'm all in brother
2/16/13 6:17 PM
yellow c0ckahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He defends it 2 more times, and I'll give him credit as the main champ.

2/16/13 6:19 PM
MMOZ

Dana said Cruz remains the champ unless he chooses to retire. Phone Post
Captfireeyes
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Till Cruz losses or retires, he's the real champ. Phone Post
yellow c0ckahlc
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMOZ -  Dana said Cruz remains the champ unless he chooses to retire. Phone Post

Has nothing to do with what OP's saying. Reread the post, fren.

2/16/13 6:21 PM
Neil Funk

I think being considered the #1 contender is a better designation than "Interim Champ", reminds me of "Interim Coach", like you aint even good enough to be the real coach nigga
2/16/13 6:21 PM
ufc98newb
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

another question. who is the underdog when those two finally fight?

2/16/13 6:23 PM
Shoebert

I agree with Yellow on this one Phone Post
2/16/13 6:24 PM
Right Hand JO Power
988 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is McDonald the interim interim champ? Phone Post
2/16/13 8:20 PM
Lazer MMA

D2 you can't give a guy a belt and contend it's worth less than another one! That's just the way it is.

Nog is the only man to hold a belt in both PRIDe and the UFC. This feat was not negated in any way (I'm by no means a fan of his and this is only an example).
2/16/13 8:39 PM
aaronlynton
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a champion in my eyes already Phone Post
2/16/13 9:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well if he wins one more he'll have more UFC title fight wins than Cruz. I'd say at that point give it to Barao. Phone Post
2/16/13 9:15 PM
MyUnclesCreepy
864 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz isn't the champ till he comes back and beats whoever holds the belt. He needs to be stripped and then when he is healthy he gets an instant title fight to reclaim what was his Phone Post
2/16/13 10:21 PM
Hocky Balboa
8419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right Hand JO Power - Is McDonald the interim interim champ? Phone Post
That would be Sweet Freedom, if true. Phone Post
2/16/13 10:24 PM
ortman166

He defended it. He's the champ IMO Phone Post
2/16/13 10:24 PM
Jo'donnell-Davies
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao is gunna take the official champs belt from cruz with ease, then cruz is gunna drop down a weight class haha Phone Post
2/16/13 11:36 PM
D241
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
D2 you can't give a guy a belt and contend it's worth less than another one! That's just the way it is.

Nog is the only man to hold a belt in both PRIDe and the UFC. This feat was not negated in any way (I'm by no means a fan of his and this is only an example).

iirc, I'm fairly certain that Nog was the true Pride champ, however his UFC belt was only the interim belt. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was just interim.

2/16/13 11:43 PM
D241

Just checked and I am accurate.

Nog won his UFC belt b/c Randy had vacated the belt. Tim and Nog fought for the interim belt, as the mma world  felt Nog wasn't the man till he beat the man(Randy).

Well Frank beat Brock at UFC 91 which gave his next match up Big Nog. Nog lost to Mir, therefor Mir won the "interim" belt. Brock unified the belt when he beat Randy, the former hw champ who didn't lose the belt, only vacated it temporarily via short retirement.

When Brock faced Frank Mir at UFC 100, they were both "interim" champions and Brock became the sole champion.

Regardless, Nog's accomplishment of Pride and UFC champion is quite the accomplishment. No need to sell me on the badassary of Nogueira, just trying to keep things accurate.

2/16/13 11:48 PM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Cruz as Champion more than Barao and I think Cruz will win their fight... But man, it's hard to justify calling anybody a champion when they aren't able to fight for two and a half years. I'd be fine with it if they removed "Interim" from Barao's belt, and then when Cruz comes back it would be easy to sell the fight as Champion vs. Champion
2/16/13 11:52 PM
D241

I'm well versed in my mma history, however maybe my old age has caused me to forget, but isn't this the first time an interim belt was defended and the champion was still just the "interim" champion?

2/16/13 11:54 PM
D241

big_roy_fan - 
D241 - 

Just checked and I am accurate.

Nog won his UFC belt b/c Randy had vacated the belt. Tim and Nog fought for the interim belt, as the mma world  felt Nog wasn't the man till he beat the man(Randy).

Well Frank beat Brock at UFC 91 which gave his next match up Big Nog. Nog lost to Mir, therefor Mir won the "interim" belt. Brock unified the belt when he beat Randy, the former hw champ who didn't lose the belt, only vacated it temporarily via short retirement.

When Brock faced Frank Mir at UFC 100, they were both "interim" champions and Brock became the sole champion.

Regardless, Nog's accomplishment of Pride and UFC champion is quite the accomplishment. No need to sell me on the badassary of Nogueira, just trying to keep things accurate.

brock fought randy at ufc 91

Correct. My bad UFC 91 was when Brock Became the interim champion. He fought AS the interim champion against Mir @UFC 100.

2/17/13 12:04 AM
CaptainWoody
327 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renan wrecks Cruz imo
2/17/13 12:33 AM
Rear Naked Chode
450 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 

I'm well versed in my mma history, however maybe my old age has caused me to forget, but isn't this the first time an interim belt was defended and the champion was still just the "interim" champion?

I believe you are correct, I think Andre Arlovski didn't get called the champ till after he defended it twice.
2/17/13 2:39 AM
RKing85
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interm titles are the fucking stupidest thing in the world.

Cruz should just be stripped and Barao should be the champ.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.