UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How many "interim" title defenses until champion?

2/17/13 2:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
behzad
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao is the champ as soon as he started defended a belt. Phone Post
2/17/13 2:46 AM
D241

behzad -  Barao is the champ as soon as he started defended a belt. Phone Post

Did Cruz lose it, or did Barao win it?

So subjective it's mind bottling

2/17/13 2:55 AM
UGCTT_Vidz
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're actually incredibly inaccurate.

Randy Couture never vacated the heavyweight championship. The interim title was set up with Nogueria/Sylvia as Couture wanted out of his contract, but his title was never vacated.

They later set up TUF 8 with Nogueria/Mir to fight for the interim title, but during the TUF series Couture decided to reseign with the UFC and had a bout with Lesnar before the Mir/Nogueria bout.

Lesnar won the Heavyweight title, not the interim heavyweight title.

I have no idea where you're getting Mir/Lesnar at UFC 91. And how the hell can Lesnar unify two titles against Randy when only one title was on the line?

You being supposedly well versed in MMA history is a nice little lie.
2/17/13 3:01 AM
32Hunter

MyUnclesCreepy -  Cruz isn't the champ till he comes back and beats whoever holds the belt. He needs to be stripped and then when he is healthy he gets an instant title fight to reclaim what was his Phone Post

agreed.
2/17/13 3:03 AM
Mihow
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/17/13 3:40 AM
yellow c0ckahlc
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

D241 - 
big_roy_fan - 
D241 - 

Just checked and I am accurate.

Nog won his UFC belt b/c Randy had vacated the belt. Tim and Nog fought for the interim belt, as the mma world  felt Nog wasn't the man till he beat the man(Randy).

Well Frank beat Brock at UFC 91 which gave his next match up Big Nog. Nog lost to Mir, therefor Mir won the "interim" belt. Brock unified the belt when he beat Randy, the former hw champ who didn't lose the belt, only vacated it temporarily via short retirement.

When Brock faced Frank Mir at UFC 100, they were both "interim" champions and Brock became the sole champion.

Regardless, Nog's accomplishment of Pride and UFC champion is quite the accomplishment. No need to sell me on the badassary of Nogueira, just trying to keep things accurate.

brock fought randy at ufc 91

Correct. My bad UFC 91 was when Brock Became the interim champion. He fought AS the interim champion against Mir @UFC 100.

lol you're still messing up, mate.

Randy didn't vacate the belt. He was just in a legal dispute with Zuffa, before he eventually returned and lost the belt to Brock. This bout occured before the Interim bout between Mir and Nog.

Brock was the UFC champion, and Mir beat Nog for the Interim belt. Therefore, Mir went into their bout at UFC 100 as the Interim champion.

Get some sleep, pally. Your brain is betraying you in the late hours.

2/17/13 8:20 AM
PepperUK
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk - fuck this interim champion shit. Rename it "Intercontinental Champion" and I'm all in brother
To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Whooooooooooo Phone Post
2/17/13 8:33 AM
Lazer MMA

D241 - 
Lazer MMA - 
D2 you can't give a guy a belt and contend it's worth less than another one! That's just the way it is.

Nog is the only man to hold a belt in both PRIDe and the UFC. This feat was not negated in any way (I'm by no means a fan of his and this is only an example).

iirc, I'm fairly certain that Nog was the true Pride champ, however his UFC belt was only the interim belt. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was just interim.

Yea that was my point except to say there is no such thing (per my post) as "just interim". It's in the first sentence of my post, "you can't give a guy a belt and contend it's worth less than another one (IMO)! That's just the way it is."

Frankly the question (as a side bar) is strictly subordinate to what the implications are of not giving true #2's there shots after they were earned in favor of MMAE fights.
2/17/13 2:51 PM
knuckleballs

Neil Funk - fuck this interim champion shit. Rename it "Intercontinental Champion" and I'm all in brother

Amen, brother.
2/17/13 3:04 PM
D241

So mark this down as the first time UFC had an interim champion defend the belt and still be labeld interim champion.

2/17/13 5:15 PM
PrettyBoy
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only time the interim becomes the real champ is if he defends against the current champ... Or in other words actually wins the belt.

UFC never strips for injury so being an interim champ is actually a sub category of champion, because the UFC nor anyone else will recognize you as champ until you defeat the reigning champ.

They should really call it something else or make the belt silver or something to distinguish it. If he loses to Cruz he will go down in history as never being UFC champion. Phone Post
2/17/13 5:21 PM
Letibleu
1666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

by the time Cruz comes back, Barao may have defended the UFC belt more times than Cruz defended his.
2/17/13 5:39 PM
behzad

D241 -

Cruz lost it when he couldn't defend it imo

Only fair way i see it to not stall a division and get rid of this interim nonsense. Phone Post
2/17/13 8:13 PM
D241

behzad - 
D241 -

Only fair way i see it to not stall a division and get rid of this interim nonsense. Phone Post

There's no right or wrong, our banter is simply to point out how gray UFC's Championship belts are.

That being said,

When did it make sense for you for when Cruz lost the belt? Did Cruz still have the champion moniker after his first knee injury, but lost it after he injured his knee a 2nd time?  

Or in your opinion, did Cruz lose the belt after the first injury?

2/17/13 8:15 PM
D241

Do you guys feel UFC should put rules in place when it comes to champions and their belts?

For instance do you feel a champion should defend his belt at least twice a year?

How much time should a champion be given if he has an injury and can't defend? More than 6 months and he becomes "interim" champion? If he can't fight for a year, he loses the champion moniker?

2/17/13 10:41 PM
Matt Perry

Good point. Great thread topic. Personally, I think if you have 2 defenses, you are the champ. "Real Champ" gets immediate shot though Phone Post
2/17/13 10:49 PM
D241

Edited: 02/17/13 10:49 PM
Matt Perry -  Good point. Great thread topic. Personally, I think if you have 2 defenses, you are the champ. "Real Champ" gets immediate shot though Phone Post

Agree with everything you said.

There's subjectivity in the 2 defenses however. I mean 2 defenses it's hard to argue against being declared "real champ",  but if there's a stacked division and very proven top contender, one win against the top contender might sway the majority mindset in thinking he's now the "real champ".

For example:

If GSP gets injured before the Diaz fight, because he recently defended his belt against Carlos, he'd still be recognized as the real champion. However if his injury delays him for 6-9 months, and in that time frame, Nick Diaz fights Johny Hendricks for a 'winner becomes interim champion" fight, then if Nick wins and becomes the interim champion, if Nick rematches Carlos condit as the Interim Champion, and puts on a dominating performance, the majority of mma fans might consider Nick Diaz as the "real champ" with only having one interim title defense.

2/17/13 11:59 PM
D241

TopGrinder -  How many wins till its a titleshot. ..... This is the UFC mayn. They make shit up as they go... Phone Post

I know that, and we the people can call bullshit when the UFC tries to feed it to us, I don't need to give examples.

But as Matt Perry pointed out, 2 title defenses for the interim champion would very much justify being called the "real" champion.

But with one defense, what does the mma public think about who the real champ is at this point?

2/18/13 3:03 AM
behzad

D241 -
behzad - 
D241 -

There's no right or wrong, our banter is simply to point out how gray UFC's Championship belts are.

That being said,

When did it make sense for you for when Cruz lost the belt? Did Cruz still have the champion moniker after his first knee injury, but lost it after he injured his knee a 2nd time?  

Or in your opinion, did Cruz lose the belt after the first injury?

I think as soon as you can't defend your belt, because of injury or jail or holy pilgrimage you forfeit ur crown.

But upon ur ability to fight again you get the next shot at the champ, as a right of a previous disabled champ.

So yuh if cruz messed his knee up and couldn't defend his bely, he forfeited the championship where Barao has now stepped in a continued defending the belt. Phone Post
2/18/13 3:15 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
516 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow c0ckahlc -

He defends it 2 more times, and I'll give him credit as the main champ.

Down with this. Condit shouldn't even have gotten a belt. He was never champ, he was a glorified #1 contender and that's it. Phone Post
2/18/13 3:16 AM
mofomike
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

klabo - 
Neil Funk - fuck this interim champion shit. Rename it "Intercontinental Champion" and I'm all in brother
Bam Phone Post

bingo.

9/22/13 3:50 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name

???

9/22/13 3:56 AM
UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renan is champeeeone imo.
9/22/13 4:00 AM
Fox censored my Chael screen name

Dominick Cruz will face Barao and walk out first, and his walkout music will be Roy Jones Junior "Ya'll must've forgot"

9/22/13 5:31 AM
JoeDavolasRoundhouseKick
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMOZ - Dana said Cruz remains the champ unless he chooses to retire. Phone Post
So is Josh Barnett still champ? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.