UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Breaking - Hilarious Cyborg/Tito revelation by DFW

2/17/13 7:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sodigthisbigcrux
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/13 8:23 PM

janky ass server.....dbl

2/18/13 12:12 AM
CindyO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sodigthisbigcrux - 
CindyO - 
Kneeblock - 
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

It makes perfect sense. Dana describes having a UFC contract as this awesome thing with all these perks, but under the Invicta contract Cyborg will have something she wouldn't under a the standard Zuffa boilerplate: Likeness rights. 

Yea - now she can sign that 7 figure deal with a 3rd party bobblehead company...

lol @ 'likeness rights' - sometimes hardcore fans steep into delusional territory overestimating MMAs (espeially WMMA) popularity in the mainstream world

If nobody has any idea who you are, your likeness rights dont have any value.

*buys Cyborg lunchbox*

The popularity of products you see here in America does not represent the full extent of the market for merchandising in MMA. Like I said, it could all fail miserably, but I guarantee Tito's merchandise has brought him more money than most of the UFC fighters signing their supposedly awesome (but subsequently reported as bargain basement) Nike deals. 

but I guarantee Tito's merchandise has brought him more money than most of the UFC fighters signing their supposedly awesome (but subsequently reported as bargain basement) Nike deals.

How much has Totos merchandise sales brought him?

Cindy

Meet you all the way, meet you all the way, Rosanna yeah....

LOL! Sorry! I mean Tito!

Cindy

2/18/13 12:18 AM
Megatherium
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're a long way from Kansas over here
2/18/13 12:29 AM
Dazednconfused
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People that defend Cyborg and say gnat Ronda is scared are extremely stupid people. Phone Post
2/18/13 12:55 AM
Chuck D Nux

soremano - 

at least cyborg can sleep soundly knowing that tito has his hands firm around her fighting career

She won't have time for sleep when she has to get a part time job, after Tito ruins her. If she learns better English, and starts to understand him better, Tito will get fired.
2/18/13 1:41 AM
stonepony

Dazednconfused -  People that defend Cyborg and say gnat Ronda is scared are extremely stupid people. Phone Post

Notice they tend to be the people who think that Overeem walks on water?

It doesn't matter what weight they fight at, Cyborg gets dumped on her head. Her take-downs are all muscle. Sloppy. Watch her against Gina. If she tried any of that with Ronda, she would go for a ride. And RR's grappling is far better. Cyborg had Gina caught in a knee-bar, sunk in, and she couldn't muscle the submission because her technique was just that bad. Same thing when she locked up the Americana. You can see her f' it up, get confused, and just let go of it. Gina reversed her, and was pounding her out.

They're trying to do what a few other notable fighters have done. They build up a marketable name, and then run with it outside of the UFC. As long as they never fight, Tito is going to be able to claim that Cyborg is the best female fighter in the world.

Cyborg is just the Overeem of WMMA. She's Bob Sapp...
2/18/13 3:00 AM
darwinsmunky

Please forgive me for sounding ignorant, but how does sacrificing ones likeness to the ufc compare, in terms of finance or comptetition, to what being on the ufc roster will bring you in terms of exposure? The ufc is the largest stage for mma in the entire world. You will never have as big of fights, as much publicity, or nearly as many prospects of future success. Is it a perfect scenario? Of course not. But it is by far the best one available that i, joe shmoe, can see in terms of furthering one's career.
2/18/13 3:02 AM
darwinsmunky

darwinsmunky - Please forgive me for sounding ignorant, but how does sacrificing ones likeness to the ufc compare, in terms of finance or comptetition, to what being on the ufc roster will bring you in terms of exposure? The ufc is the largest stage for mma in the entire world. You will never have as big of fights, as much publicity, or nearly as many prospects of future success. Is it a perfect scenario? Of course not. But it is by far the best one available that i, joe shmoe, can see in terms of furthering one's career.

I say this because ive noticed a trend in posts concerning contractual problems amongst fighters that people continually gravitate towards and i just dont see any logic, at this point in the sport, to warrant such attention.
2/18/13 3:41 AM
Snooty

In Phone Post
2/18/13 5:27 AM
stonepony

darwinsmunky - Please forgive me for sounding ignorant, but how does sacrificing ones likeness to the ufc compare, in terms of finance or comptetition, to what being on the ufc roster will bring you in terms of exposure? The ufc is the largest stage for mma in the entire world. You will never have as big of fights, as much publicity, or nearly as many prospects of future success. Is it a perfect scenario? Of course not. But it is by far the best one available that i, joe shmoe, can see in terms of furthering one's career.

Fedor would have made more in a few UFC years, than he did throughout the rest of his career put together. Overeem did the same thing. He was in SF for about 4 years? 3 fights? He managed to avoid fighting ALL of their top HWs. That impacts his money, keeping the hype train rolling. Now he's about to be crushed by JDS, and the Overeem brand will be worth a lot less. Cyborg is going to declare herself to be the best, and back it up by fighting can after can.

Her next opponent, is the woman that RR faced in her pro debut. Stopped her in 25 seconds.
2/18/13 8:31 AM
vazzo

Tito isn't stupid, nervous maybe lol but not stupid. He's been the highest paid fighter for years! He's the Mayweather of MMA. Phone Post
2/18/13 11:48 AM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boys, lets keep the lynch mob at bay for a sec lol

Now as retarded as this seems and as tempting as it is to brand Futa1 a retard, hearing this so soon after he gave that press conference in such a dominating fashion, we need to remember that he has his hands around Cyborg's career...and solidly

If they've truly decided to never cut down below 140, which would be a pointless and promotionally dangerous fight for the UFC to hold, the issue really boils down to two things...

What's better?

Free insurance, exposure and signing bonus
or
direct negotiations with Invicta

Considering Ortiz's past experiences with the UFC and considering the risk of Cyborg being severely pressured into a Rousey fight -- a type of pressure that could eventually extend beyond verbal and fan based pressure to some type of contractual exertion over her availability to fight in Invicta -- and it's clear why Ortiz decided to say fuckit, and just stay on good terms with the UFC for potential negotiations in the future
2/18/13 11:54 AM
MattyECB
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh, and I mean clear as in -- it's clear what his motivations were.
I still think it's a dumbassed fucking choice if Dana is telling us the whole story, but it's not as unfounded and moronic a choice as it initially appears.

BTW, anyone else really happy Shannon and BLAF seem to be on such good terms?
Even if the UFC gets fully behind WMMA, they're never going to have a problem with a niche promotion like Knapp's so it's sick to see he's not only OK with trading fighters, but respects Knapp enough to negotiate with her like that

As reticient as I've been to get into WMMA, Invicta is such a well put-together smaller-scale promotion and Knapp is classy as fuck!
2/18/13 12:05 PM
MattyECB

CindyO - 
sodigthisbigcrux - 
CindyO - 
Kneeblock - 
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE - 

It makes perfect sense. Dana describes having a UFC contract as this awesome thing with all these perks, but under the Invicta contract Cyborg will have something she wouldn't under a the standard Zuffa boilerplate: Likeness rights. 

Yea - now she can sign that 7 figure deal with a 3rd party bobblehead company...

lol @ 'likeness rights' - sometimes hardcore fans steep into delusional territory overestimating MMAs (espeially WMMA) popularity in the mainstream world

If nobody has any idea who you are, your likeness rights dont have any value.

*buys Cyborg lunchbox*

The popularity of products you see here in America does not represent the full extent of the market for merchandising in MMA. Like I said, it could all fail miserably, but I guarantee Tito's merchandise has brought him more money than most of the UFC fighters signing their supposedly awesome (but subsequently reported as bargain basement) Nike deals. 

but I guarantee Tito's merchandise has brought him more money than most of the UFC fighters signing their supposedly awesome (but subsequently reported as bargain basement) Nike deals.

How much has Totos merchandise sales brought him?

Cindy

Meet you all the way, meet you all the way, Rosanna yeah....

LOL! Sorry! I mean Tito!

Cindy

Well, it's kinda stupid to directly compare Tito's merchandising to other UFC deals when speaking so vaguely and without any actual concrete numbers to back it up -- unless sodigthisbigcrux has some reporting links he'll post later...

But I think as far as general branding goes, it's clear Tito has been very successful. It goes well beyond merchandising, his Punishment shit also extends its name to his training camp, gear, clothing and indirectly, to his nascent management company.

I mean generally speakings, it's all a part of why he kept such a distinct character when having his lover's quarrels with the UFC. When you consider how brutal Ortiz is at public speaking and how poorly he can come off -- its clear, IMHO, the respect he gets for his business savy and general role in the MMA industry is largely reflective of his being an early prototype for fighters becoming self-made business men.

Iunno about the Nike deals in particular, but it's pretty hard to believe, at least from the snippets of information and minimal knowledge we have of their living situations, that Ortiz' general coaching/merchandising/sponsoring revenue doesn't crush most of the fighters' in the UFC
2/18/13 12:23 PM
DubsAli
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ancient Chinese proverb states:
If a man is called Dana, he does not ridicule the name of another.
2/18/13 12:25 PM
Haulport

I don't believe a word of this...
2/18/13 1:08 PM
spliff
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

""We wanted to make the deal happen with the UFC. Negotiations were between me and Dana and it was for a four fight deal with the fourth fight being against Ronda (Rousey), three fights going to Invicta and the fourth fight would be against Ronda. We were going to do a catchweight of 140 (pounds) and they said okay we'll call you back and we're going to find out," Ortiz explained in an exclusive interview with Bleacher Report on Sunday. "I wait two days and I get a call back and they said no, we'll do an eight fight deal, we'll send her to Invicta, have her fight three fights, and next year we'll have her fight against Ronda at 140 possibly but there's no exact direction what (weight) they wanted to use. So it really came down to the factor of them going back and forth."

Ortiz says recent comments about how "irrelevant" his client is apparently becoming played a part in their ultimate decision to do a deal directly with Invicta for less fights overall, but hopefully strengthening their bargaining power if Cyborg wins all of those fights.

"Why would we allow our client to commit to such a long deal with no real plans or commitments to fight in the UFC? Why would we agree to a deal where an organization labels her as irrelevant as Dana (White) kept saying how irrelevant Cyborg was? We didn't run away from the fight. We just asked for her release to sign a three fight deal with Invicta," Ortiz stated. "She'll fight the No. 2 contender at 145 pounds and then she'll fight for the title against their 145 pound champ and then maybe Dana will have a little bit more respect for Cris Cyborg and value her as a counterpart for any super fight in women's MMA."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1534120-tito-ortiz-100-percent-fight-with-cris-cyborg-and-ronda-rousey-will-happen
2/18/13 1:29 PM
JimmersonzGlove
478 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interadasting.
2/18/13 2:36 PM
GunnarWreckedMyAssHAOLE

spliff - ""We wanted to make the deal happen with the UFC. Negotiations were between me and Dana and it was for a four fight deal with the fourth fight being against Ronda (Rousey), three fights going to Invicta and the fourth fight would be against Ronda. We were going to do a catchweight of 140 (pounds) and they said okay we'll call you back and we're going to find out," Ortiz explained in an exclusive interview with Bleacher Report on Sunday. "I wait two days and I get a call back and they said no, we'll do an eight fight deal, we'll send her to Invicta, have her fight three fights, and next year we'll have her fight against Ronda at 140 possibly but there's no exact direction what (weight) they wanted to use. So it really came down to the factor of them going back and forth."

Ortiz says recent comments about how "irrelevant" his client is apparently becoming played a part in their ultimate decision to do a deal directly with Invicta for less fights overall, but hopefully strengthening their bargaining power if Cyborg wins all of those fights.

"Why would we allow our client to commit to such a long deal with no real plans or commitments to fight in the UFC? Why would we agree to a deal where an organization labels her as irrelevant as Dana (White) kept saying how irrelevant Cyborg was? We didn't run away from the fight. We just asked for her release to sign a three fight deal with Invicta," Ortiz stated. "She'll fight the No. 2 contender at 145 pounds and then she'll fight for the title against their 145 pound champ and then maybe Dana will have a little bit more respect for Cris Cyborg and value her as a counterpart for any super fight in women's MMA."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1534120-tito-ortiz-100-percent-fight-with-cris-cyborg-and-ronda-rousey-will-happen

'Dana called her irrelevant so we sent her to fight in a hotel ballroom in Missouri'

and 'Lizbo' is all over my TV....

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.