UnderGround Forums

What if ... >> Sports that require very little skill

2/17/13 2:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that all sports require technical skill to compete at the highest level. With that being said some sports rely more heavily on pure athletetic abilty than others. This would be more noticable at lower levels since at the highest levels competitors have both athletecism and technique. For example in sprinting a naturally gifted sprinter with no training in sprinting technique will be able to defeat someone who is a poor athlete but has been trained in sprinting technique. On th other hand if you consider submission grappling a poor athlete that is very well versed in submission grappling technique can defeat a natural athlete with no training.
2/17/13 2:47 PM
Jesus Quintana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pikes - 
foo55 - but seriously though, baseball probably requires the least out of the major sports in america
Hitting a baseball at the major league level is widely recognized as the most difficult feat in sports. So, no. Phone Post

Yes, much harder than running a world record in track in field.
2/17/13 2:50 PM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scythrop - If you think soccer requires no skill, try playing against a twelve-year-old kid from a country that loves the game.

It's a humiliating experience, let me assure you.

Lol yup. My gf's nephew has been playing for 4 years (hes 9 now) and is part of a local pro teams youth academy. He goaded me into having a 1v1 game with him a few months back and I got absolutely embarrassed. Think the final score was 10-2 to him.

2/17/13 2:53 PM
DreamerMMA
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator

Troll thread, off to what if.

2/17/13 2:55 PM
Warez's_gf's_Bearcat
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

0/10

Fail Phone Post
2/17/13 3:12 PM
Pikes
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus Quintana -
Pikes - 
foo55 - but seriously though, baseball probably requires the least out of the major sports in america
Hitting a baseball at the major league level is widely recognized as the most difficult feat in sports. So, no. Phone Post

Why does it have to be a world record? You don't have to be able to break records to be a successful runner. You don't have to hit a 500-foot home run to play baseball.

You do have to hit the ball, though. Which at a pro level is insanely difficult, which is my point. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:17 PM
Jesus Quintana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pikes - 
Jesus Quintana -
Pikes - 

Why does it have to be a world record? You don't have to be able to break records to be a successful runner. You don't have to hit a 500-foot home run to play baseball.

You do have to hit the ball, though. Which at a pro level is insanely difficult, which is my point. Phone Post

It's definitely extremely difficult, which is the point I guess, but it happens a bunch of times every game...it happens more in a game than goal scoring happens in soccer...i guess I just take issue with the idea that it is the hardest thing to do in sports since it occurs all the time and there are things in sports that occur almost never because they are so difficult.
2/17/13 3:19 PM
evad6317
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most of these require athletic ability, but not a whole lot of skill:

Running

Curling

Cycling

Speedwalking

Powerlifting

Bodybuilding

CrossFit
2/17/13 3:24 PM
evad6317
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For anyone who thinks soccer requires little skill, see what happens when an NFL Pro Bowl WR tries to make an MLS squad.

2/17/13 3:30 PM
evad6317

The brotorious BIG - 
evad6317 - Most of these require athletic ability, but not a whole lot of skill:

Running

Curling

Cycling

Speedwalking

Powerlifting

Bodybuilding

CrossFit
I would only consider 2 of those sports and thats onpy because the olympics recognition it gets Phone Post

I think only 2 of them are NOT in the Olympics, and that's CrossFit and Bodybuilding.
2/17/13 4:17 PM
AyyAnt
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are people talking about the playing at the highest level. Obviouslly doing anything at the highest level would be very very difficult. OP just said which require the least skill. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play soccer at the park we would be able to do it. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play hockey we would be busting our ass within the first two steps on the ice. Therefore i would classify hockey as being one of the sports that require alot more skill whereas soccer not so much. Phone Post
2/17/13 4:29 PM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
527 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/13 4:31 PM
AyyAnt - Why are people talking about the playing at the highest level. Obviouslly doing anything at the highest level would be very very difficult. OP just said which require the least skill. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play soccer at the park we would be able to do it. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play hockey we would be busting our ass within the first two steps on the ice. Therefore i would classify hockey as being one of the sports that require alot more skill whereas soccer not so much. Phone Post

By that definition the only really skilled sports are things like Ice Hockey and motorsports, because they are tough even at entry level (the Hockey thing is solely down to it being on ice really). You might be able to play a recreational game of Soccer without much trouble, but its even easier to do that with Football, Tennis, Boxing, Baseball, Basketball and a bunch of other sports too since they use the hands.

2/17/13 7:40 PM
DreamerMMA
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle - 
AyyAnt - Why are people talking about the playing at the highest level. Obviouslly doing anything at the highest level would be very very difficult. OP just said which require the least skill. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play soccer at the park we would be able to do it. If i wanted to take a bunch of friends and play hockey we would be busting our ass within the first two steps on the ice. Therefore i would classify hockey as being one of the sports that require alot more skill whereas soccer not so much. Phone Post

By that definition the only really skilled sports are things like Ice Hockey and motorsports, because they are tough even at entry level (the Hockey thing is solely down to it being on ice really). You might be able to play a recreational game of Soccer without much trouble, but its even easier to do that with Football, Tennis, Boxing, Baseball, Basketball and a bunch of other sports too since they use the hands.

I still say this is a troll thread.

With this logic though then MMA may be one of the least skilled out there.

Just two guys show up and let em bang bro.

2/17/13 11:44 PM
foo55
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i could attempt hitting a baseball all day without getting winded, maybe a little sore, but more than likely not tired at all.

but id give up scoring a bucket against tony allen in like 2 minutes. or blocking demarcus ware 1 on 1 after a down or two. or defending calvin johnson on an island by myself. or catching a ball over the middle with ronnie lott trucking towards me. id take my chances at hitting that baseball any day over any other one of those.

i don't know how hitting a fast ball became quantified as the most difficult thing to do in sports. its bullshit drivel thrown out there by fans of the most unathletic major sport in the world where guys with 20% body fat can make 7 figures a year.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.