UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

2/17/13 2:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bravo45
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An OGer anonymously requested that I start a 'training tips and black rifle' discussion thread.  So here we are.  

Today I'm going to post about slings, grips, and lights and how to think about setting up your rifle.  

Let me caveat though; the opinions expressed herein are my own.  I am not an expert, I am just as much of a student as everyone else, I just have the opportunity to spend more time on the gun than most people.  

I do not have the time and money to test out every new product that comes on the market, the things I use and endorse have come on the recommendations of others.  If you know of something different and can suggest it, please do so.  

Nothing in this thread will be mind-blowing, but rather a collection of common sense techniques that most people don't address.  

2/17/13 2:43 PM
bravo45
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A couple of different set-ups.  The rifle on the left is an airsoft gun, used to mimic my work gun, and also to demo stuff to people (particularly when we're drinking at the house...)  

The middle is a mid-longer range rifle set up

The right would be my go-to gun for everything if I could only pick one.  

The bottom is a virginal M&P15 I picked up this week.  It helps to know people.  

2/17/13 2:50 PM
bravo45

You'll notice the fore grips above are pushed out towards the end of the rifle.  The further out we can hold the gun, the more stable our shooting platform becomes.  Gone are the days of the old 'SMG' magazine hold that Hollywood loves.  Very unstable. 

Here is an example of my preferred fore grip and hand position

2/17/13 2:52 PM
bravo45

It also works with stubby grips, which I typically prefer.  

2/17/13 2:54 PM
imanley
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome! Sub'd.
2/17/13 2:57 PM
LiveWire
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for education Phone Post
2/17/13 2:58 PM
bravo45

Additionally with the grip pushed out so far, you can utilize the thumb-over-bore hold that is popular with many 3-gun shooters; however I've found this grip to be unnecessary unless you are shooting a properly tuned match gun with directional compensator.  It also obstructs much of your side vision, which is very very important when fighting in someone's house.  

2/17/13 2:59 PM
aries45
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/17/13 3:00 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

It's think that it's a user-preference issue and your mileage may vary, but I really dislike VGs even when standing up and shooting on the move.

2/17/13 3:01 PM
awilson82
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im so in.

2/17/13 3:01 PM
bravo45

My hold also works without a fore grip; it is important to apply rearward pressure with the thumb and index finger where the hand meets the gun, in order to create a stable platform.  

2/17/13 3:02 PM
bravo45

Sagiv Lapkin - 

It's think that it's a user-preference issue and your mileage may vary, but I really dislike VGs even when standing up and shooting on the move.

Yes if they are used in the traditional way. We will cover that.
2/17/13 3:03 PM
awilson82
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I run a VFG on my AR but its mostly used as a hand stop. I run one on my CX4 too and its needed on that gun for me.

2/17/13 3:05 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
2237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is that a Suunto you've got there? ;)

2/17/13 3:06 PM
bravo45

You know what they say about SF dudes; big watch little dick
2/17/13 3:07 PM
bravo45

Hopefully this picture will better explain the manner I'm advocating using your fore grip.  Bottom line, if you hold a foregrip like it's meant to be held, and you gorilla grip that sucker, you're gonna throw shots at distance.  

2/17/13 3:09 PM
Gib
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

innnnnn
2/17/13 3:10 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

I've run it for years without a VG and for years with a VG and in the end I preferred without, but I've never run an angled fore-grip. Thoughts?

btw that is a sweet watch.

2/17/13 3:11 PM
BravoPUA
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:11 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

2/17/13 3:12 PM
bravo45

Edited: 02/17/13 3:12 PM
The AFG is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

In the picture of the shooter above, his AFG is too far back to really give him the added stability that the product is supposed to provide.

I also find it to be problematic when shooting from advanced positions and barricades.

I don't like the AFG.

Edit: the first picture, not Travis Haley. I would not presume to tell him how to shoot.
2/17/13 3:13 PM
Nilfux
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:15 PM
bravo45

Need to make shots at a distance from the prone, but you've mounted a pesky fore grip?  No problem, utilize this very stable technique.  

2/17/13 3:17 PM
bravo45

Here is the perfect example of why I don't like the AFG.  This shot would be much more difficult.  

2/17/13 3:21 PM
bravo45

So to wrap up grips:

I prefer having them and using them to create a stable firing platform, but not in the traditional manner. I use them to get as far out on the barrel as possible and pull the weapon into my shoulder. The grip should be pushed out with just enough room for your hand to not get muzzle blast.

As always though, this is shooter preference.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.