UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

2/18/13 11:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bravo45
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another beauty of the EOTech is that they make them in all sorts of weird battery types.

Know what you are getting! My EOTechs take AA, and CR123 batteries because I have a near unlimited supply (thanks taxpayers)

As I said earlier though, don't buy knockoff EOTechs they aren't really holographic, so you will still have a parallax issue.
2/18/13 11:53 AM
bravo45
596 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhymenoceros - I have a thought.

When someone says, "I use a single point sling" or "I use such and such optic," could they please reference the context in which they use such things?

The reason I ask is that there is a massive difference between using such and such optic for yearly Buck Yeager Tactical Fantasy Camp and using an optic in a legitimate tactical role. Definitely some of the guys in this thread (MarsMan, Bravo45, Jack Burton, etc) are already OG-vetted, but for other folks if you could let everyone know your use for your equipment I think it would be helpful.

Good point Rhyme.

Hey how's that new SVI shooting?
2/18/13 12:01 PM
bravo45

Let's talk for a minute about sight mounting:  

I used to roll one of my civilian guns like this:  

Yes I know it's on fire, don't worry I'm not going to shoot anything I don't intend to.  

But look at how high that sight is!  In my mind, I was like well I can still use irons, and with a sight that high I won't have any trouble bringing the sight to my eyeline but check this out: 

The height-over-bore is ridiculous, you would almost bottom out your elevation trying to zero this thing.  Yeah it looked cool in some movie (Blood Diamond I think)  but fuck that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  

2/18/13 12:01 PM
Jerry Bohlander
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you had a chance to try out the Aimpoint pro patrol? If so, what did you think of it? Waiting on the new upper for my patrol rifle and the price is right. I use an Aimpoint T-1 on my swat rifle. The T-1 just felt a little quicker to me than the Eotech that I had prior to that. Phone Post
2/18/13 12:06 PM
bravo45

Yes for red dot sights I will wholeheartedly endorse everything that Aimpoint makes. They are very rugged sights as long as you invest money in a good mount like Larue.

If you're...spendthrift, knockoffs like Sightmark and Primary Arms will be a decent sight for you, not terrible, not outstanding.

And if you're looking for something to mount seperately, the Docter sight is a good investment.
2/18/13 12:12 PM
bravo45

For lots of people, shooting is not an extensive hobby, and many folks only want to invest in one sight so I recommend the Variable Power Glass Optic.  

You can spend a whole lot:  

Not quite so much

Or not much at all 

And really your main differences will be clarity of glass, tube material  and some of the proprietary reticles.  

2/18/13 12:13 PM
bravo45

The beauty of a VPO, like mine is you can very easily gunfight with it, because of the point-blank reticle.  

The small dot is the point of aim for zeroing.  The open circle can be placed anything, out to 200m, that you want to die, and it will.  

2/18/13 12:15 PM
bravo45

It gives you the flexibility of single power:

All the way out to 4x:  

And you can use your irons still 

2/18/13 12:19 PM
bravo45

The other thing I would add is don't buy scopes that adjust like this:  

Because they are a pain in the ass to adjust and you can't slip them back to zero.  

2/18/13 12:21 PM
bravo45

MountainMedic - 
bravo45 - Stay tuned for today we will go over some sights and positional stuff; After I get back from the goddamn DMV.
Interested in your take on scout style set ups. Phone Post

I like them better on bigger caliber platforms like the M14 and AK.

I've found that shooters that run them on 5.56 guns like the M4 spend a lot of time adjusting and craning their necks to get a good sight picture.
2/18/13 12:25 PM
bravo45

awilson82 - 

Bravo whats your preference on muzzle brakes, comps, flash hiders? What do you run? What works?

I run a KAC QD comp at work because it's proprietary for the suppressors we use.

On my custom AR I put a Vortex brake.

I also like the Smith and Noveske brakes.
2/18/13 12:29 PM
bravo45

Headed down to take positional pics.  In the meantime I know a good way to piss at least half of you off!

Nah just kidding

2/18/13 12:29 PM
MountainMedic
661 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 -
MountainMedic - 
bravo45 - Stay tuned for today we will go over some sights and positional stuff; After I get back from the goddamn DMV.
Interested in your take on scout style set ups. Phone Post

I like them better on bigger caliber platforms like the M14 and AK.

I've found that shooters that run them on 5.56 guns like the M4 spend a lot of time adjusting and craning their necks to get a good sight picture.
I set up an SKS like this & liked it alot. Feels really natural, shoulder the weapon & instantly on target-both eyes open. Phone Post
2/18/13 12:31 PM
bravo45

SKS is a perfect rifle for a scout setup
2/18/13 12:32 PM
KidJustice
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep if professional - I didn't realize what a potential can of worms CQB training for civilians was. Thanks for the responses bravo45. I'd vote you up if I could.

I have a ton of weekend airsoft "Sofa Rangers" asking for CQB classes. I teach mostly CCW and basic handgun fighting courses, defensive Shotgun and an intro to carbine course. I teach a "Tactical" course to civilians and it is basically shooting from cover and moving while shooting. They come to the class wearing more gear than I have ever owned in my 20+ years of military and LE exeperience. I have civilians show up with level IV ceramic plate armor and every product you can order out of "Cheaper than Dirt". Their carbines also look like swiss army knives.

I'm pretty much wanting to give up on these classes and just  teach basic NRA pistol. I think it is important to teach civilians good gun etiquette and proper handling, but there is definitely a fringe element out there teaching "Advanced CQB" to civilians.

Your threads are awesome bravo45 I would love to get some trigger time in with you.

2/18/13 12:38 PM
KidJustice
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Bohlander -  Have you had a chance to try out the Aimpoint pro patrol? If so, what did you think of it? Waiting on the new upper for my patrol rifle and the price is right. I use an Aimpoint T-1 on my swat rifle. The T-1 just felt a little quicker to me than the Eotech that I had prior to that. Phone Post

I use the aimpoint pro on my personal rifle and an EOtech on my GOV issued. I actually prefer the Aimpoint, but current policy only lets me run the Eotech on my issued duty M4.

2/18/13 12:45 PM
Jerry Bohlander
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KidJustice - 
Jerry Bohlander -  Have you had a chance to try out the Aimpoint pro patrol? If so, what did you think of it? Waiting on the new upper for my patrol rifle and the price is right. I use an Aimpoint T-1 on my swat rifle. The T-1 just felt a little quicker to me than the Eotech that I had prior to that. Phone Post

I use the aimpoint pro on my personal rifle and an EOtech on my GOV issued. I actually prefer the Aimpoint, but current policy only lets me run the Eotech on my issued duty M4.

Another guy on my swat team is running the Aimpoint pro. He's plenty happy with it. My new BCM lightweight upper should be here by tomorrow and I want to get an optic on that thing fast. I'll probably end up with the Aimpoint. Just doing some research before I take the plunge.
2/18/13 1:44 PM
theken206
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 - 

Let's talk for a minute about sight mounting:  

I used to roll one of my civilian guns like this:  

Yes I know it's on fire, don't worry I'm not going to shoot anything I don't intend to.  

But look at how high that sight is!  In my mind, I was like well I can still use irons, and with a sight that high I won't have any trouble bringing the sight to my eyeline but check this out: 

The height-over-bore is ridiculous, you would almost bottom out your elevation trying to zero this thing.  Yeah it looked cool in some movie (Blood Diamond I think)  but fuck that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  

I had an ACOG set up like that for a mid range carbine and found I rather liked it, but it was calibrated to be mounted like that.

2/18/13 2:01 PM
awilson82
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Bohlander -
KidJustice - 

Another guy on my swat team is running the Aimpoint pro. He's plenty happy with it. My new BCM lightweight upper should be here by tomorrow and I want to get an optic on that thing fast. I'll probably end up with the Aimpoint. Just doing some research before I take the plunge.
I run an Aimpoint PRO on my rifle and I'm a civilian but FWIW I've been happy with it through my experience of running carbine courses and shooting a couple competitions.

The factory mount is big n bulky but u could probably drop it off a cliff n it would stay zeroed. Also if u run a mag coupler depending on how u have it set up the spare mag may hit the bigass knob. Phone Post
2/18/13 2:02 PM
GracieLegacy
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in. awesome thread.
2/18/13 2:07 PM
bravo45

Today my friend Abu Bundukiya, the intrepid freedom fighter, stopped by to help talk about positional shooting.  

2/18/13 2:10 PM
bravo45

He reminded me to tell you: Don't hold your gun like this.  

2/18/13 2:15 PM
bravo45

Now everyone in the military learns the prone shooting position, and we are taught in our battle drills when taking fire in the open, seek cover, and if none is available then drop to the prone.  

And open field prone is all well and good if I have a lot of friends with me and am planning on assaulting that ass.  

But if I'm all on my own, and you've pinned me down in an open field with precision small arms fire, then open field prone is a terrible position!  The most presentable target for you to shoot at is the head, and Abu Bundukiya likes his head with the requisite number of holes in it, no more.  

2/18/13 2:19 PM
bravo45

So try this:  

If I absolutely must get shot, I'd rather be shot in the legs and ass, where death is slow, than in the head where it is quick.  

If you have an SBR, be very careful not to shoot your own toes off.  

2/18/13 2:25 PM
Dark Knight
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.