UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

2/17/13 3:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
nimitivd
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
2/17/13 3:27 PM
bravo45
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So next we will talk about slings.

I am a huge advocate of simplicity in your sling.

If your sling came with a manual, it's probably too complicated to worry about in a gunfight.

I do like the VTAC adjustable slings, but I rarely utilize them to their full extent.

So my recommendation for a sling would be: 2 points, adjustable, comfortable. No one likes having a sling that saws at your fucking neck on long movements.
2/17/13 3:31 PM
bravo45
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Single point slings look cool, they really do.  But they don't provide much control over the gun, especially larger guns like the M4. 

If I were to run anywhere right now, where do you suppose that pistol grip would strike me?  

The only use I've found for a single point sling is for a breaching shotgun, but that won't apply to most folks.  

2/17/13 3:32 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

Let me know when we get to glass so that I can get your take on my beloved ACOG.

2/17/13 3:34 PM
Jerry Bohlander
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info on the AFG. I've been using one on my 10.5" noveske for a while. I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm sure ill run into something.

Have you had a chance to try out a bravo company grip yet? Just got one for my new build up. Damn comfortable Phone Post
2/17/13 3:37 PM
MountainMedic
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -

I've run it for years without a VG and for years with a VG and in the end I preferred without, but I've never run an angled fore-grip. Thoughts?

btw that is a sweet watch.

I am a fan of the angle grip myself. Feels natural. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:38 PM
btso15
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know this is off topic but I've found the single point sling to be very effective when hunting. When moving slow through the woods it hangs out of my field of vision and when I need to I can shoulder it really quick. But like you said I would hate it if I had to run. Just my 2 cents and sorry to get off topic Phone Post
2/17/13 3:40 PM
bravo45

btso15 -  I know this is off topic but I've found the single point sling to be very effective when hunting. When moving slow through the woods it hangs out of my field of vision and when I need to I can shoulder it really quick. But like you said I would hate it if I had to run. Just my 2 cents and sorry to get off topic Phone Post

Everyone is welcome to contribute no matter their experience level.
2/17/13 3:41 PM
MountainMedic
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic -
Sagiv Lapkin -

I've run it for years without a VG and for years with a VG and in the end I preferred without, but I've never run an angled fore-grip. Thoughts?

btw that is a sweet watch.

I am a fan of the angle grip myself. Feels natural. Phone Post
But yeah, that's way too close in there. Forward (alot) like the other pic is what feels & performs the best for me. Phone Post
2/17/13 3:43 PM
bravo45

One thing I do recommend in a sling mount is a quick-detach option, whether it be on the gun as picture below, or a fastex buckle in the sling itself.  The purpose for this is two-fold, one of which is quick removal in case of trauma.

And the other is for positional shooting, you can detach and reattach around stuff to create a more stable platform, like in the picture as follows, if you were to find yourself in a gunfight in my dining room.

2/17/13 3:48 PM
jake11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo, I tried to pm you with a question about a flashlight.
2/17/13 3:50 PM
bravo45

On deployments I use the traditional hand method that I learned as a teenager. I find that a 3rd party device is awkward to explain when found in your stuff by customs.

Oh...flAshlight. Yes we will cover those next.
2/17/13 3:52 PM
mrE13
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In! Great Idea... thanks for doing this.
2/17/13 3:52 PM
bravo45

Some instructors now are teaching the rifle slung around your neck like this:

But I find that it is very uncomfortable and tiring over a long period of time, and also very difficult with a full-length stocked weapon, like that pictured above.  I would be hard-pressed to get this weapon into the fight very quickly.  

2/17/13 3:54 PM
bravo45

While searching around, I found this image.  Don't hold your gun like this.  Yes it feels cool, and we all saw Tom Cruise do it in some movie, but he likes dick.  Do you?  

2/17/13 4:00 PM
bravo45

My work sling is an M249 machine gun sling.  It is very simple, and comfortable.  It is not fancy but it works.  It holds my rifle in place if I need to transition to pistol, or step on some dude's neck.  

2/17/13 4:01 PM
Arzn1ck
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interested Phone Post
2/17/13 4:01 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1903 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might as well use the SAW sling, as the fucking thing is probably down so at least you get some use out of the system.    ;)

2/17/13 4:03 PM
bravo45

Our SAWs run flawlessly, but we also refit them once a year. Should've joined the big money service brah
2/17/13 4:06 PM
bravo45

So to summarize slings:

3 point slings are too busy. You can wrap yourself up tighter than a motherfucker trying to take it on and off, which in a gunfight is not what we want.

Single point slings have an application in small, light weapons such as a breaching shotgun, which will be mounted on the rear of my vest, or an SMG, when I have one hand free to control the gun at all times.

So I recommend a sling to be 2 points, comfortable, and quick detaching. Adjustable optional.

If your sling came in a package that says "Used by Special Forces!" you should probably throw it out.
2/17/13 4:07 PM
Sagiv Lapkin

No kidding, lol. All we got were hand me downs. And I was so sick of my SAW gunners going down. That thing was the biggest POS ever (not that particular SAW, but almost every SAW I've used in that 8 year period of time). Couple that with the fact that the only FN (all the others were made by Colt) made M16 I used was a real POS and it really left a bad taste in my mouth about Fabrique Nationale. 

However I do love the 240G.

2/17/13 4:10 PM
bravo45

Jerry Bohlander -  Good info on the AFG. I've been using one on my 10.5" noveske for a while. I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm sure ill run into something.

Have you had a chance to try out a bravo company grip yet? Just got one for my new build up. Damn comfortable Phone Post

I have not, but I am always a fan of grips where you can store shit like batteries, bolt parts, cocaine etc.
2/17/13 4:12 PM
bravo45

So flashlights:

The brands I recommend are Surefire and Insight. We will talk about some mounting and usage options with pictures to explain a few things.
2/17/13 4:14 PM
bravo45

Lots of instructors recommend mounting yourflashlight on the same side as your dominant hand, especially if you have a VFG.  The method of execution is like this:  

However I find this method to be very uncomfortable in the long run, with the way you have to contort your wrist to activate the light.  

2/17/13 4:15 PM
bravo45

Some say mount it on the left side, to prevent negligently discharging your flashlight:  

But when you aren't using it, this is how you have to hold the gun  

Which becomes problematic for people with small hands.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.