UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

3/19/13 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Billbo
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess I don't understand all the hate on the shamagh. They have saved my neck from my rifle sling as well sunburn. I guess if I'm wearing it as full head garb at the local IHOP it's one thing, but to use it in a practical way.... I don't get the hate? Phone Post
3/19/13 10:38 AM
Jedburgh1
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people don't understand the different tribal/color connotations Phone Post
3/19/13 11:27 AM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedburgh1 - 
Ahren_nhb - 
Rhymenoceros -

The only sensible plan right now is to backorder components in time to have them arrive by the time you need them.

I just ordered a couple thousand projectiles, and they said that they are 16 weeks backordered. I know I have enough to last that long, but I hope that it eases up soon after.

For some reason this made me laugh and picture Ahren talking to his butler...

"Benson, order a few thousand more projectiles for my boom-maker, I wish to go shooting."

GENIUS!

I need a shooting butler, but I also need the resources to GET a shooting butler.

To hell with all this gear configuration stuff. Just load up the butler and have him run after me and hand me the appropriate weapon, magazine etc as needed
3/19/13 11:39 AM
Rhymenoceros
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lord Nitemare - 

^ Sorry to interject, but I can attest to that shit. Hipsters rock that shit like its going out of style. For every badass SF Operator, there are literally 20 spoiled NYU douches. 

I was in Barcelona for 4 months back in 2009. Literally every Spanish person under 30 was wearing one of those things.
3/19/13 11:49 AM
Lord Nitemare
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/13 12:00 PM
Rhymenoceros - 
Lord Nitemare - 

^ Sorry to interject, but I can attest to that shit. Hipsters rock that shit like its going out of style. For every badass SF Operator, there are literally 20 spoiled NYU douches. 

I was in Barcelona for 4 months back in 2009. Literally every Spanish person under 30 was wearing one of those things.

It's douchechilling...the only thing that's more douchechilling is when they'll wear it because they believe they're supporting the PLO or some other gay shit. 

3/19/13 12:39 PM
chinaski
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In!! Thanks for all the tips Phone Post
3/19/13 1:09 PM
tyronehernandez
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like the tactical vest, the shemagh has some solid uses but also like the tactical vest, its hard for a civilian to use one without looking like a mall ninja ass clown from the internets.

I have worn one ONCE while training in 110 degree heat with high humidity in the desert. I kept it soaked in water and draped around my neck to keep my core temp down. It was tan with no pattern, made in Afcrapistan, probably died with camel urine, and bled its color all over my shirt but it worked and at that point it was so hot I could care less how douchy I looked.
3/19/13 1:16 PM
sreiter

Billbo -  I guess I don't understand all the hate on the shamagh. They have saved my neck from my rifle sling as well sunburn. I guess if I'm wearing it as full head garb at the local IHOP it's one thing, but to use it in a practical way.... I don't get the hate? Phone Post

lmfao @ ihop reference....i'm SO doing it this weekend
3/19/13 1:21 PM
MountainMedic
719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedburgh1 - Most people don't understand the different tribal/color connotations Phone Post
That could ne its own random interesting thread. Phone Post
3/19/13 1:21 PM
MountainMedic
719 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GaryG -
Jedburgh1 - 
Ahren_nhb - 
Rhymenoceros -

The only sensible plan right now is to backorder components in time to have them arrive by the time you need them.

I just ordered a couple thousand projectiles, and they said that they are 16 weeks backordered. I know I have enough to last that long, but I hope that it eases up soon after.

"Benson, order a few thousand more projectiles for my boom-maker, I wish to go shooting."

GENIUS!

I need a shooting butler, but I also need the resources to GET a shooting butler.

To hell with all this gear configuration stuff. Just load up the butler and have him run after me and hand me the appropriate weapon, magazine etc as needed
You need a caddy Phone Post
3/19/13 1:58 PM
Jedburgh1
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ammo bearer for a machine gun crew. Worst job in the infantry Phone Post
3/19/13 2:11 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Yank - 
MountainMedic -
GaryG -
Jedburgh1 - 
Ahren_nhb - 
Rhymenoceros -

GENIUS!

You need a caddy Phone Post
AKA a Lance Corporal. Phone Post

I'm not sure if the universe is mocking me or what, but within 15 minutes of my butler post I got the opportunity to go to Alaska on a pretty exclusive fully guided dall sheep hunt.

Terms are that I won't be charged anywhere close to full price, but I won't be able to take a sheep. Not a problem for me, I just love AK and being in the high country. The ironic part, if I go the guide has to drop a packer. I would need to assume the packers responsibilities i.e. the hunters Butler, and beast of burden. Such is my destiny.

Sorry for thread drift Jed
3/19/13 2:14 PM
MountainMedic

"Well sir, I think for this shot you'd do best with a 124g FMJ. You have a 30'rise over 140 yards & a slight head wind" Phone Post
3/19/13 2:22 PM
TheHouse
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. Better late then never. I have a lot of reading to do.
3/19/13 2:53 PM
IP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"What color is your Shamagh?"

Near the end of my run I attended a multi SWAT team regional training day, and I noticed an entire team wore those things like it was part of their uniform. SWAT guys are whores, wanna-be's and scavengers to varying degrees, but even for us - that was going too far. The next thing you know, some team will start wearing beret's.
3/19/13 2:56 PM
MarsMan
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IP - "What color is your Shamagh?"

....SWAT guys are whores, wanna-be's and scavengers to varying degrees....

I have to :D because it's true haha

3/19/13 3:13 PM
Bobsdf
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedburgh1 -  Ammo bearer for a machine gun crew. Worst job in the infantry Phone Post

Years ago I spent a summer as a "brick bearer" for a brick laying crew. I thought that sucked, and I wasn't getting shot at!

Jed,
You mentioned maintaining your ruck skills. What sort of distance/load would you guys be doing on a typical outing.
3/19/13 3:30 PM
sreiter

IP - "What color is your Shamagh?"

Near the end of my run I attended a multi SWAT team regional training day, and I noticed an entire team wore those things like it was part of their uniform. SWAT guys are whores, wanna-be's and scavengers to varying degrees, but even for us - that was going too far. The next thing you know, some team will start wearing beret's.

in NJ, the state troopers wear full on nazi uniforms, Jodhpurs, jack boots, belt with leather strap across their chest and all. only difference is the wear those old DI type hats that the mounties do, WITH chin straps
3/19/13 3:36 PM
Jedburgh1

Bobsdf -
Jedburgh1 -  Ammo bearer for a machine gun crew. Worst job in the infantry Phone Post

Years ago I spent a summer as a "brick bearer" for a brick laying crew. I thought that sucked, and I wasn't getting shot at!

Jed,
You mentioned maintaining your ruck skills. What sort of distance/load would you guys be doing on a typical outing.
Just for maintenance stuff ill try to do 6 miles @ 45lbs and a 15min per mile pace once a week. Phone Post
3/19/13 5:03 PM
MountainMedic

Billy Yank -
MountainMedic -  "Well sir, I think for this shot you'd do best with a 124g FMJ. You have a 30'rise over 140 yards & a slight head wind" Phone Post

I lol'ed. VU
:) Phone Post
3/19/13 5:43 PM
IP
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried overnight backpacking for the first time recently. The weight of the pack + hilly terrain kicked my ass. It did not feel like a leisurely stroll.
3/19/13 5:46 PM
MountainMedic

IP - I tried overnight backpacking for the first time recently. The weight of the pack + hilly terrain kicked my ass. It did not feel like a leisurely stroll.
Real weight on real terrain does not equal the treadmill.

Its the kind of thing that leads a man to do strange things, like cut the tags out of everything & saw off the handle off a toothbrush. Phone Post
3/19/13 5:53 PM
awilson82
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 
IP - I tried overnight backpacking for the first time recently. The weight of the pack + hilly terrain kicked my ass. It did not feel like a leisurely stroll.

Its the kind of thing that leads a man to do strange things, like cut the tags out of everything & saw off the handle off a toothbrush. Phone Post

Yeah lately Ive been reading up on some of the lightweight backpacking/camping stuff. Some of those guys get real creative in ways to save weight. Made me think much more about my bug out bag setup and whatnot.

3/19/13 5:55 PM
Ahren_nhb
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when I was in the 82nd we had to do a 25k annual March with 35lbs packs. Guys would have blisters on blisters.
3/19/13 5:58 PM
IP

MountainMedic - 

I thought I had a reasonable weight pack (about 40#), but 4 hours into the first day and I was ready to chuck my pistol/extra mag in the bushes!

And yes, while I was huffing and puffing/zombie walking up a another never-ending hill, it came to me why people emphasize "light weight" when it comes to backpacking. Also the need for good boots.

Live and learn.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.