UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

3/19/13 5:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
awilson82
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 
IP - I tried overnight backpacking for the first time recently. The weight of the pack + hilly terrain kicked my ass. It did not feel like a leisurely stroll.
Real weight on real terrain does not equal the treadmill.

Its the kind of thing that leads a man to do strange things, like cut the tags out of everything & saw off the handle off a toothbrush. Phone Post

Yeah lately Ive been reading up on some of the lightweight backpacking/camping stuff. Some of those guys get real creative in ways to save weight. Made me think much more about my bug out bag setup and whatnot.

3/19/13 5:55 PM
Ahren_nhb
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember when I was in the 82nd we had to do a 25k annual March with 35lbs packs. Guys would have blisters on blisters.
3/19/13 5:58 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 
IP - I tried overnight backpacking for the first time recently. The weight of the pack + hilly terrain kicked my ass. It did not feel like a leisurely stroll.
Real weight on real terrain does not equal the treadmill.

Its the kind of thing that leads a man to do strange things, like cut the tags out of everything & saw off the handle off a toothbrush. Phone Post

I thought I had a reasonable weight pack (about 40#), but 4 hours into the first day and I was ready to chuck my pistol/extra mag in the bushes!

And yes, while I was huffing and puffing/zombie walking up a another never-ending hill, it came to me why people emphasize "light weight" when it comes to backpacking. Also the need for good boots.

Live and learn.
3/19/13 6:00 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Billy Yank - "Ounces make pounds. Pounds make pain."

Rub it in, why don't you.
3/19/13 8:49 PM
Jedburgh1
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm pack light freeze at night too.... Phone Post
3/19/13 9:24 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedburgh1 -  Hmm pack light freeze at night too.... Phone Post

Jeds "SF survival, tactical, and conditioning school" - take part in one or all three

IMO
3/19/13 9:31 PM
sreiter

Edited: 03/19/13 9:32 PM
^..just thinking..conditioning can be 2 fold...boot camp for weight loss...conditioning for would be athletes or operators before they try out for SOF billet of their choice...

Gunsite, biggest loser, dual survival rolled into one

from "special" to special forces!!!

OR

OG keyboard warrior to real world warrior
3/19/13 9:38 PM
Jedburgh1
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahaha beautiful.

Unfortunately I'm only well read on shooting.

There are tons of cats on here that are more into the survival thing than I am. I just know what I learned at SERE.

Lots of better athletes too.

But Jed's old timey vigilante gang? That we could do. Phone Post
3/19/13 11:39 PM
sreiter

SERE would have real world applications...

Your corporation wants a team building exercise so it schedules some "trust fall bullshit" or zip lines something,,,

You're out in the woods with them and you go all rambo... "trust fall??? fuck that, I'll eat the head off a live rattler for this company"!!!

CEO in week

Jeds corporate survival school..learn the art of century or co-worker removal!!

lol works for me. That fucker who's talking shit to the boss gets a shiv in his medulla oblongata
3/20/13 1:33 AM
Jerry Bohlander
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jedburgh1 - Ahaha beautiful.

There are tons of cats on here that are more into the survival thing than I am. I just know what I learned at SERE.

I'm guessing you're well read in more than shooting. Maybe not a survivalist, but you could show the average man, cop, whatever a thing or two about survival. You should see how much my swat team loves it when I run rural training. I know a thing or two, but I'm no mountain man. Phone Post
3/20/13 2:15 AM
IP

Jerry Bohlander - 

I'm guessing you're well read in more than shooting. Maybe not a survivalist, but you could show the average man, cop, whatever a thing or two about survival. You should see how much my swat team loves it when I run rural training. I know a thing or two, but I'm no mountain man. Phone Post

This sounds worse than my backpacking trip!
3/20/13 9:51 AM
Rhymenoceros
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jerry Bohlander - 

Heh. If I were you I would just show them videos of armbarring Kevin Jackson and beating up Scott Ferrozzo.
3/20/13 10:25 AM
Jedburgh1

Really the best thing I've learned about survival is that if you're in a situation or could possibly become so, and you aren't already prepared, you are behind the 8ball 100%

Seems silly, but there's no excuse these days, with so much information and products out there, to be caught unawares. Phone Post
3/20/13 10:34 AM
MarsMan
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/13 10:36 AM
Jedburgh1 -  Ahaha beautiful.

Since we are throwing ideas, I don't think you have to include conditioning in a shooting school, but carrying out a few realistic exercises throughout the day (or a full "real" day) can beat the crap out of almost anyone so that the realize by themselves how important being fit is.

One example is stairway drills....we had selected a few techniques to move a team safely up or down a building - one was very fast and the other two were slower and more systematic (used in case we were unaware of where hostiles could be).

The kicker was, everyone had to wear full gear and carry a long gun, and we'd go 7 or 8 stories up or down until everyone had it nailed, take a short break for discussions, and then do it again...a couple of hours of this and we were done for the day :)

The "fast" drill was pretty brutal when going up.

I know this doesn't translate well to civilian instruction, but sprinting from cover to cover, moving over or under obstacles, carrying or dragging a wounded buddie are demanding and realistc drills that could be Incorporated so people realize that it's not all about the gear.

3/20/13 11:36 AM
Jedburgh1

All of my training days include stress shoots of various lengths and type.

Nothing like putting a coat of sweat on someone and under the watch to see their gun handling and gear fall apart. Nothing is better too for letting someone know they are not in great shape, conditioning wise.

I see a lot of guys in SOF who are too cool to break a sweat or get dirty. Wrong answer. You have a duty to train hard every day until you rotate out of this job. Phone Post
3/20/13 11:40 AM
Gforce
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really hoping that Pat Mac does not beat the shit out of us with PT--my cardio is shit right now.
3/20/13 11:54 AM
Jedburgh1

Hear he's big on that stuff Phone Post
3/20/13 12:43 PM
Ahren_nhb
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the video I posted earlier with my son, the rest of us shooting that stage had to start with all 3 guns unloaded behind us on the table, grab a gun at the buzzer, run to the first box, engage all paper with 2 body shots with our handgun then run to the forward box, engage near paper with 2 body shots. Clear the gun and dump it on the forward table, run back, grab the next gun, engage near paper with 2 head shots with the carbine, run to forward box, engage paper with 2 head shots, clear weapon, run back and grab last weapon, engage near steel with shotgun, run forward and engage remaining steel with shotgun.

The order of the weapons was up to the shooter. My dumbass grabed my shotgun first and handgun last. When I was huffing and puffing I had the weapon most sensitive to user input.

Not anything like you guys do, but even that little bit of running makes a big difference on engaging targets.

3/20/13 1:03 PM
MountainMedic
537 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ahren_nhb -

In the video I posted earlier with my son, the rest of us shooting that stage had to start with all 3 guns unloaded behind us on the table, grab a gun at the buzzer, run to the first box, engage all paper with 2 body shots with our handgun then run to the forward box, engage near paper with 2 body shots. Clear the gun and dump it on the forward table, run back, grab the next gun, engage near paper with 2 head shots with the carbine, run to forward box, engage paper with 2 head shots, clear weapon, run back and grab last weapon, engage near steel with shotgun, run forward and engage remaining steel with shotgun.

The order of the weapons was up to the shooter. My dumbass grabed my shotgun first and handgun last. When I was huffing and puffing I had the weapon most sensitive to user input.

Not anything like you guys do, but even that little bit of running makes a big difference on engaging targets.

On academy when we did stress shoots we had to run (not far, but like a .5 mi all out sprint) before we entered & shot. It makes a huge difference. Phone Post
3/20/13 2:39 PM
IP

Something as simple as an Airsoft course can be fatiguing/stressful when incorporated into a short realistic scenario.

Also, live-fire move and shoots that are short, involve teamwork, and are set to realistic scenarios can jack up your fatigue/stress as well.

You can have a lot of fun setting these up. Safety issues and area limitations are the only constraints.
3/20/13 4:08 PM
sreiter

worse stress i had when shooting was when instructor was firing live rounds behind me.
3/20/13 5:54 PM
Jedburgh1

I'm sure the insurance companies will love that. Phone Post
3/20/13 6:13 PM
awilson82
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sreiter - worse stress i had when shooting was when instructor was firing live rounds behind me.

Was it Yeager? lol

3/20/13 6:22 PM
Lord Nitemare
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awilson82 - 
sreiter - worse stress i had when shooting was when instructor was firing live rounds behind me.

Was it Yeager? lol

3/20/13 6:55 PM
Gforce
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awilson82 - 

Was it Yeager? lol

You guys beat me to it. There are some awesome pictures out there of him walking the line beating everyone with boxing gloves, choking people out with RNCs while firing live ammo, etc.

Mike from ENDO Tactical (the guy who made the photo above) has a blog that is basically a Yeager watch. Some of the shit is priceless.
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/03/08/tactical-response-still-puts-photographers-down-range/

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.