UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/17/13 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
microbiologynerd
1354 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/17/13 9:57 PM
bravo45
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theken206 - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - Bravo45, have you taken any carbine training courses? I'm thinking of taking a tactical carbine course and possibly a small unit tactics course. What's your opinion on the utility of these and would you recommend any?

I have taken courses at MidSouth and other more exclusive places.

I would highly recommend a carbine course.

I don't know any reputable instructors teaching SUT- courses though.

Any idea where I could train in something like SWAT style entry in a team? I've read a few books about it, but it really seems like something you need hands on with.

What would be the practical application for this?

CQB is very difficult and very dangerous. I never advocate anyone 'clearing rooms' for home defense.

Friends of mine that have small children in other rooms, I sit down with them and set up a home defense plan that works, with a minimum of room clearing, because amateur room clearing is a good way to get your gun taken from you, or killed.

Purely for my own personal enlightenment. And the tiny possibility of rounding up collaborators with Mexico when they invade Texas.

J/k about the 2nd part. Kind of.

I wouldn't teach to anyone unvetted. CQB tactics are very closely held and also very fluid.

My advice is to make friends with a reputable instructor.

Yeah I would think with out a Service based or LEO back ground or the like your not really going to be able to find to find all that many good places to properly hands on train CQB or SUT etc.

I think I have gotten lucky being able to pick shit up from friends with a lot of hands on experience lol.

Any book recommendations in general?

I quite like Plasters "The Ultimate Sniper" Revised.

I highly recommend both Kyle Lamb's books "Green Eyes, Black Rifles" and "Stay in the Fight"
2/17/13 10:00 PM
bravo45
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^There's just too much liability in letting that stuff get out, in terms of CQB especially when it comes to revealing our hand.
2/17/13 10:00 PM
MarsMan
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ashleigh11 - mars man, any chance of updating your thread?
Which one, brother? Phone Post
2/17/13 10:01 PM
Gforce
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EXCELLENT thread.

To the guys asking about training in small unit tactics... There are no reputable instructors that will provide that type of training outside military or law enforcement circles.

The issue is as follows... The best instructors (e.g. Larry Vickers, John Shaw, Jeff Gonzales, Paul Howe, Pat Rogers, Pat McNamara) etc do a LOT of business with the federal government. A number of them have told me that providing this type of training will raise Uncle Sugar's ire (and possibly jeopardize some lucrate federal contracts), so they won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

What they will do is offer training in two person tactics, as this can be justified as home defense training. Vickers and Pat Rogers both offer shoothouse courses like this.

The same goes for training foreign nationals--reputable instructors want nowhere near it due to ITAR.

If you want team tactics and *less reputable*, you can always go train with Yeager. Just buy a life insurance policy first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZL8wtuRmA
2/17/13 10:03 PM
bravo45

Fuck man, I should challenge Yeager to a gunfight on pay-per-view and retire off the profits.
2/17/13 10:04 PM
PoWdA101
1446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/17/13 10:04 PM
IP
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) If you had the power, would you replace the M4 as the standard military carbine? If so, with what?

2) Have you had the opportunity to cross train with any PD SWAT teams? If so, what type of training/information exchange went on?

Thanks again.
2/17/13 10:08 PM
bravo45

1)I would not replace the M4. I would make standardized classes across the board for the military in terms of maintaining acceptable combat cleanliness for the M4 system; too many young privates get bamboozled by some old, idiot, NCO.

Being in the Army doesn't automatically make one an expert.

2)We went force on force one time with Michigan State PD guys at one of their complexes with sims rounds. It was a blood bath for them. In my current job I get so spoiled in terms of ammunition, ranges and training time available that I forget how little some of these guys are taught. That's why I want to open a school; if my small amount of experience can save one cop or soldier's life it is worth it to me.
2/17/13 10:12 PM
LastDon
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for later Phone Post
2/17/13 10:15 PM
theken206
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 - 
theken206 - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - 
bravo45 - 
Keep if professional - Bravo45, have you taken any carbine training courses? I'm thinking of taking a tactical carbine course and possibly a small unit tactics course. What's your opinion on the utility of these and would you recommend any?

I have taken courses at MidSouth and other more exclusive places.

I would highly recommend a carbine course.

I don't know any reputable instructors teaching SUT- courses though.

Any idea where I could train in something like SWAT style entry in a team? I've read a few books about it, but it really seems like something you need hands on with.

What would be the practical application for this?

CQB is very difficult and very dangerous. I never advocate anyone 'clearing rooms' for home defense.

Friends of mine that have small children in other rooms, I sit down with them and set up a home defense plan that works, with a minimum of room clearing, because amateur room clearing is a good way to get your gun taken from you, or killed.

Purely for my own personal enlightenment. And the tiny possibility of rounding up collaborators with Mexico when they invade Texas.

J/k about the 2nd part. Kind of.

I wouldn't teach to anyone unvetted. CQB tactics are very closely held and also very fluid.

My advice is to make friends with a reputable instructor.

Yeah I would think with out a Service based or LEO back ground or the like your not really going to be able to find to find all that many good places to properly hands on train CQB or SUT etc.

I think I have gotten lucky being able to pick shit up from friends with a lot of hands on experience lol.

Any book recommendations in general?

I quite like Plasters "The Ultimate Sniper" Revised.

I highly recommend both Kyle Lamb's books "Green Eyes, Black Rifles" and "Stay in the Fight"

Thanx bro', appreciated! aaaaaaaaaaaand VTFU in general fucker lol
2/17/13 10:17 PM
osaewaza
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 - 

A few more pictures for fun:  

M-14 with a unique stock someone gave to me.  

Sniper's gotta have a sniper gun  

And a few other toys  

IN!

this thread rocks.

say bro,what kind of optic are you rockin on that m14 there highspeed
2/17/13 10:17 PM
Elwoood
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
2/17/13 10:20 PM
Gforce
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 - Fuck man, I should challenge Yeager to a gunfight on pay-per-view and retire off the profits.

He's actually got a standing challenge out... You will have to first sign the "duel contract."

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/12/07/sign-a-duel-contract-and-possibly-get-murdered-by-james-yeager/

Two quote an SF source I showed that video to... "Holy SHIT. It looked like a monkey trying to fuck a football."

Read a story posted online purportedly by a member of an ODA that got sent to Yeager's place for training. He made a short post about it stating that the command obviously didn't research properly--and that they just did their own thing on his range.

Think of it positively--his classes are PACKED. Definitely room for you in that industry.
2/17/13 10:21 PM
Gforce

Edited: 02/17/13 10:21 PM
double post due to site hangup
2/17/13 10:23 PM
bravo45

osaewaza it's a knockoff red dot sight.
2/17/13 10:23 PM
osaewaza
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sorry,BTW,VTFU!
2/17/13 10:25 PM
crescentwrench
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/17/13 10:25 PM
bravo45

Gforce - 
bravo45 - Fuck man, I should challenge Yeager to a gunfight on pay-per-view and retire off the profits.

He's actually got a standing challenge out... You will have to first sign the "duel contract."

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2012/12/07/sign-a-duel-contract-and-possibly-get-murdered-by-james-yeager/

Two quote an SF source I showed that video to... "Holy SHIT. It looked like a monkey trying to fuck a football."

Read a story posted online purportedly by a member of an ODA that got sent to Yeager's place for training. He made a short post about it stating that the command obviously didn't research properly--and that they just did their own thing on his range.

Think of it positively--his classes are PACKED. Definitely room for you in that industry.

Christ I really could kill him and not feel bad. He puts people in danger with his bullshit.

I agree with you, there's room for me; but I have to contend with silverbacks like this bad motherfucker right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCpOt9xVy4
2/17/13 10:32 PM
awilson82
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bravo, any specific exercises u recommend that help with shooting in general and shooting on the move? I've noticed that as I've been learning more about shooting and running the gun properly etc that when trying to maintain proper form for long strings of fire I start to get fatigued.

Also why the long ass flash hider on the M4 you posted early in the thread? To meet 16" (I assume its a civilian gun)? Phone Post
2/17/13 10:33 PM
kuruptz
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sagiv Lapkin -

I've run it for years without a VG and for years with a VG and in the end I preferred without, but I've never run an angled fore-grip. Thoughts?

btw that is a sweet watch.

That's what I would like to know. I put a Magpul AFG2 on my AR. Any experience with it? Phone Post
2/17/13 10:36 PM
bravo45

Hey brah did you read the thread? I talked about AFGs.
2/17/13 10:40 PM
bravo45

awilson82 -  Bravo, any specific exercises u recommend that help with shooting in general and shooting on the move? I've noticed that as I've been learning more about shooting and running the gun properly etc that when trying to maintain proper form for long strings of fire I start to get fatigued.

Also why the long ass flash hider on the M4 you posted early in the thread? To meet 16" (I assume its a civilian gun)? Phone Post

Bring the gun to your head, not your head to the gun. How long a string of fire are you running in drills?

Also yes please disregard the silly long flash hider, I first ordered that upper when I was a moron college kid, and have since adapted it to a real fighting carbine. It's loud as fuck and I don't like that much, but I am a man of many hobbies and also very cheap.
2/17/13 10:41 PM
Jerry Bohlander
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gforce - EXCELLENT thread.

To the guys asking about training in small unit tactics... There are no reputable instructors that will provide that type of training outside military or law enforcement circles.

The issue is as follows... The best instructors (e.g. Larry Vickers, John Shaw, Jeff Gonzales, Paul Howe, Pat Rogers, Pat McNamara) etc do a LOT of business with the federal government. A number of them have told me that providing this type of training will raise Uncle Sugar's ire (and possibly jeopardize some lucrate federal contracts), so they won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

What they will do is offer training in two person tactics, as this can be justified as home defense training. Vickers and Pat Rogers both offer shoothouse courses like this.

The same goes for training foreign nationals--reputable instructors want nowhere near it due to ITAR.

If you want team tactics and *less reputable*, you can always go train with Yeager. Just buy a life insurance policy first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLZL8wtuRmA

WTF did I just watch??? Scared the crap out of me. Ok, I'm not going to derail this thread.
2/17/13 10:43 PM
reelfoot
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.