UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Bravo45 Gunfighting Discussion Thread

2/17/13 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
reelfoot
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

never heard of him, but that pick has the gay.
2/17/13 10:46 PM
bravo45
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeager's video is very stylized and cute.

But an infantry squad would wreck that ass.
2/17/13 10:48 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will your boss let you contact local PD SWAT teams for cross training? If so, start doing that in your area. You have the title and experience that SWAT cops eat up! While cross training they'll ask all kinds of questions (similar to this thread) but they'll also be quietly evaluating you. If you pass the credibility test, the sky's the limit for you down the road due to word-of-mouth. Get your name out there (with the SF horsepower behind you, you can't go wrong) and then when you retire from the Army go out on your own as a tactical consultant. You can cover anything and everything from range instruction to tactics to equipment choices to team evaluations. Again, SWAT cops love that shit.

From my own personal experience supervising a local SWAT team, I had a connection with a TL for LAPD's SWAT team. Our captain, who previously was a sniper on their team hooked us up with training from them. The TL I got to know eventually retired and started his own consulting business. I used our funds to have him come up several times to instruct and evaluate us. It was money well spent. If I had a connection with a guy like you I would have definitely tried to arrange for you to fly to us to do your thing.

Connections with units like yours are hard to find, so you'll need to make the first step. If you can make it happen I see a successful business in your future. Good luck.
2/17/13 10:50 PM
McFly
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/17/13 10:51 PM
bravo45
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately we are legally bound in terms of being on active-duty and training SWAT guys; we are not allowed to do it in an official capacity.

If someone said "Here's my 'friend' Bravo45 he's here for a few days to give us range tips" it would fly...

Also this year I have 2 schools and 2 deployments lined up. I will be busy as fuck!
2/17/13 10:55 PM
IP
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm surprised the Army doesn't facilitate that type of exchange with PD's. It's cross training for God's sake.?.
2/17/13 10:57 PM
Ahren_nhb
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bravo, Thanks for the awesome thread and sharing your knowledge!

Mind giving us your philosophy on optics for a carbine?

I mostly am a casual 3-gunner and hog hunter.

Thanks again!

2/17/13 10:59 PM
bravo45

Yes you are right.

Our training with Michigan Highway was ad hoc. They were at the right place at the right time.

Our CIF company has trained with BORTAC, under the table.

A lot of it boils down to media scrutiny and big-ass headlines

"PODUNK COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT TRAINS WITH SPECIAL FORCES"

The big brains at JAG feel like this is a bad idea. No one asks me for my opinion; I am all about helping some undertrained cop survive a gunfight and go home at the end of the shift.
2/17/13 11:03 PM
IP

I don't look at it as totally one way. I see it more as both groups picking up things from each other.
2/17/13 11:03 PM
Harmonica
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
2/17/13 11:05 PM
bravo45

Ahren_nhb - 

Thanks again!

I'm glad you asked this. I'm going to do an optics installment probably tomorrow, but for today I'll say this:

I am a huge proponent of EOTechs because I do a lot of weird shooting from odd places, with gas mask on, NODs etc. I love the concept of a 'see it, shoot it' reticle.

I also shoot red dots and find that to be a very acceptable platform for beginner to intermediate shooters. The Aimpoint T1 is one of the best sights on the market right now.

But for 3-gun and hunting? Can't go wrong with a ballistically matched reticle on a 1-4x power platform like the Schmidt and Bender (if you're a rich man) or the Nikon M-223 (if you're cheap like me)
2/17/13 11:07 PM
bravo45

IP - I don't look at it as totally one way. I see it more as both groups picking up things from each other.

Very true.

LAPD SWAT was one of the first groups to teach CQB in the military when that was still in its infancy.
2/17/13 11:09 PM
dahosse
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subfer Phone Post
2/17/13 11:15 PM
DukeIsh
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Good stuff. I'm interested to hear about you and your background Phone Post
2/17/13 11:21 PM
bravo45

Damn I wish I had found this earlier  

2/17/13 11:21 PM
Ahren_nhb
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 - 
Ahren_nhb - 

Thanks again!

I'm glad you asked this. I'm going to do an optics installment probably tomorrow, but for today I'll say this:

I am a huge proponent of EOTechs because I do a lot of weird shooting from odd places, with gas mask on, NODs etc. I love the concept of a 'see it, shoot it' reticle.

I also shoot red dots and find that to be a very acceptable platform for beginner to intermediate shooters. The Aimpoint T1 is one of the best sights on the market right now.

But for 3-gun and hunting? Can't go wrong with a ballistically matched reticle on a 1-4x power platform like the Schmidt and Bender (if you're a rich man) or the Nikon M-223 (if you're cheap like me)

Thanks for the response!

I have a Primary arms H-1 knock off that I use on my 22 for steel challenge. I see other guys come out w/ knock off Eotechs and I question how much faster I would be with the larger reticle.

For my 3 gun/ hog gun I just picked up one of these Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR for AK47 (the gun is a 300BLK).

I have yet to shoot it to zero it, much less a match, but the glass seems real clear for the price. The reticle is a little busy, but it is supposed to help when shooting supers and subs.

2/17/13 11:23 PM
bravo45

DukeIsh -  Sub. Good stuff. I'm interested to hear about you and your background Phone Post

I don't like to hash it out on every thread here's the summary:

I am a gunfight survivor and winner.

I train very hard on this stuff, and I've made a lot of mistakes that other people can learn from.

I serve in special operations.
2/17/13 11:24 PM
ICantReid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbed.  Thanks 18B!

2/17/13 11:27 PM
Ahren_nhb

If I could add something to your thoughts on the VFG's/etc from my own experience in competition...

I have found that I am a lot less likely to "over-steer" the rifle when I have my hand as far out to the end of the muzzle as possible. I mostly shoot pistols, and as such I like to maintain a "thumbs forward" style grip, very similar to the one you use in your pics. The difference being that I don't use a VFG. I use a sling swivel stud and the end of my rail as an indexing point of reference.

I might have to install a VFG though to try the improvised monopod you illustrated. That looks like it would work well!

2/17/13 11:27 PM
bravo45

Ahren I stand behind a lot of knockoffs in terms of quality however:

No EOTech knock off is a true holographic sight like the EOTech, they are just red dots with EOTech reticles. EOTech is one area where I won't skimp on price. How many times can I say EOTech in one post?

That Leatherwood scope appears to be exactly what you need. Best of luck and give us a range report!
2/17/13 11:28 PM
bravo45

Edited: 02/17/13 11:28 PM
If you're over-steering, try driving with your eyes and then firing shoulder, versus your support arm.

It sounds like you are pulling the gun to the next target, instead of adjusting your body.
2/17/13 11:34 PM
Sagiv Lapkin
1906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NerdQuestionOfTheDay.com, Owner

Give me your take on my beloved ACOG please.

2/17/13 11:36 PM
Ahren_nhb

bravo45 - If you're over-steering, try driving with your eyes and then firing shoulder, versus your support arm.

It sounds like you are pulling the gun to the next target, instead of adjusting your body.

I wish I would have read this before this past Saturday (my most recent match), lol!

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try for sure!

BTW, I fully understand what you are saying about the EOTechs. I'll save other optic questions for the optic thread.

2/17/13 11:37 PM
bravo45

Fantastic sight; improved upon with the advent of 1-4x power sights. I never liked the ACOG for true CQB, only in emergency situations.
2/17/13 11:41 PM
awilson82
166 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo45 -
awilson82 -  Bravo, any specific exercises u recommend that help with shooting in general and shooting on the move? I've noticed that as I've been learning more about shooting and running the gun properly etc that when trying to maintain proper form for long strings of fire I start to get fatigued.

Also why the long ass flash hider on the M4 you posted early in the thread? To meet 16" (I assume its a civilian gun)? Phone Post

Bring the gun to your head, not your head to the gun. How long a string of fire are you running in drills?

Also yes please disregard the silly long flash hider, I first ordered that upper when I was a moron college kid, and have since adapted it to a real fighting carbine. It's loud as fuck and I don't like that much, but I am a man of many hobbies and also very cheap.
It varies. From a long 3gun stage of a couple minutes of moving, shooting, reloading to longer periods of off hand shooting to doing something like shooting 15 rds prone - mag change - 15 rds kneeling - mag change - 5 rds standing - 10 rds while moving forward - transition to pistol - 10 rds - mag change - 10 rds.

Normally I start to feel some muscle fatigue and its harder too keep the gun steady when I get near the end of a longer string of fire when shooting off hand.

No worries bro I just wondered if there was some tactical reason for it lol. Yeah this ain't a cheap hobby. While we're on the subject what are your thoughts about muzzle breaks, comps, flash hiders? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.