UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Just landed in Rio. Would love to train!

2/17/13 8:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LetsTalkItOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, I just landed a few days ago. I thought I'd make a thread asking for advice on where to train and would like to hear some insight into how to make it happen.

I'm in Laranjeiras. Any place recommended? I have no transportation so I will go by bus and metro but probably can't go too far because I have studies to tend to. Would love to meet with any of you guys if you are close too!

There are two academies within 10min walk from me. I wanted to sign up for monthly with a "homebase" academy and then visit other gyms that are farther away. For the people who have trained in Rio, does that sound okay or would you recommend something else?

I'll take any advice you guys have! Thanks!

trainbjjinrio.com/academy-guide/
Also read through that site and its really helpful.
2/18/13 1:27 AM
On the Mat
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get in touch with Dennis Asche porra
2/18/13 8:42 AM
nogidavid
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any of the zona sul gyms are within striking distance of laranjeiras

2/18/13 11:27 AM
LetsTalkItOut
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nogidavid - 

any of the zona sul gyms are within striking distance of laranjeiras

How do I find out who are where? I'm having a hard time finding them on google.

I was in a mall in Botafogo looking for a gi but ran into a Nova Uniao BB that told me they are in Flamengo which was random and awesome but a directory would be great. Any recommendations?
2/18/13 7:40 PM
nogidavid
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the link you posted has addresses. i recommend my academy, de la riva

2/18/13 9:37 PM
LetsTalkItOut

nogidavid - 

Yes! I looked through them and heard about others. Something I realized was that I can't use google like I use it at home. And so I went to Santa Clara 33 and asked around. Found out about Nova Uniao in Laranjeiras and stopped by. Stopped by Nissei/Geracao in Laranjeiras as well.

Nogidavid, are you in Rio now? I just got back from DLR in Copacabana tonight. Blown away. Sucks I didn't have a gi with me but I have never seen so many BBs on the mat. I plan on trying a class tomorrow. Any personal recommendations for other spots that is on that list?
2/19/13 10:31 AM
nogidavid

LetsTalkItOut - 
nogidavid - 

Yes! I looked through them and heard about others. Something I realized was that I can't use google like I use it at home. And so I went to Santa Clara 33 and asked around. Found out about Nova Uniao in Laranjeiras and stopped by. Stopped by Nissei/Geracao in Laranjeiras as well.

Nogidavid, are you in Rio now? I just got back from DLR in Copacabana tonight. Blown away. Sucks I didn't have a gi with me but I have never seen so many BBs on the mat. I plan on trying a class tomorrow. Any personal recommendations for other spots that is on that list?

no, i'm in england at the moment. if you're interested in training at de la riva get in touch with hywel teague, he is there right now and posts here on the UG.

other places i recommend are BTT which is just behind the mall in leblon :)

2/19/13 10:33 AM
nogidavid

why can't you use google?

get yourself a map from a shop, then go to one of the internet places in the zona sul where you can rent a computer for an hour or whatever. and mark the places you wanna go on your map :)

2/19/13 1:13 PM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I were u I would contact Connection Rio and see if they are going to any gyms in your area and join them. Dennis helped me a lot on my first trip. Phone Post
2/20/13 8:37 AM
Hywel Teague
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
Glad to hear Train BJJ in Rio has helped (is my website). The academy guide is growing but it's got the main academies on there so far. More coming soon

I'll be at DLR this afternoon at 4 so say hi. I'm the brown belt gringo Phone Post
2/20/13 10:57 AM
LetsTalkItOut

Hywel Teague -  Glad to hear Train BJJ in Rio has helped (is my website). The academy guide is growing but it's got the main academies on there so far. More coming soon

I'll be at DLR this afternoon at 4 so say hi. I'm the brown belt gringo Phone Post

Will you be there at the 7:30 class? I plan on taking a class tonight! Is there a class at 4?
2/20/13 2:05 PM
LetsTalkItOut

JoeyHustle -  If I were u I would contact Connection Rio and see if they are going to any gyms in your area and join them. Dennis helped me a lot on my first trip. Phone Post

Great idea. Thanks!
2/20/13 4:59 PM
Hywel Teague
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ Hacks, free Arte Suave videos, Direct from Rio
LetsTalkItOut -
Hywel Teague -  Glad to hear Train BJJ in Rio has helped (is my website). The academy guide is growing but it's got the main academies on there so far. More coming soon

Will you be there at the 7:30 class? I plan on taking a class tonight! Is there a class at 4?
No, I only train at 4. Classes are 7.00, 16.00, 18.00 (Mon Wed Fri only) and 19.30. No classes Sat Phone Post
2/20/13 11:21 PM
LetsTalkItOut

Thanks Hywel! I'll probably see you there soon. I stopped by DLR again and I was late... again! I had my gi, feeling good, walked in, saw DLR, was start struck, asked if I can train, and ended up sitting on that bench watching lol.

Excited to come back tomorrow and actually be on time. Ended up leaving and hitting up Carlson Gracie near Barata Ribeiro(sp). Then on my way home saw a group of people hanging out and saw one of them was holding a gi so I introduced myself and spoke with them. Discovered there is a Nova Geracao right next to my homestay. This place is awesome!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.