UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do you guys like Glory/K1 Rules or MuayThai more?

2/18/13 6:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HectorOfTroy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K1 for sure
2/18/13 6:47 AM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Six15 Comics, Creator
Muay Thai ... but take away the ceremonies and separate fighters in the clinch if they're not being active (like MMA does).
2/18/13 7:24 AM
Subvertir
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer the K1 ruleset.

I can appreciate elbows (and of course they're effective) but as a fan, I don't want to see great action stopped prematurely due to cuts. Definitely allow knees in the clinch, though, and break up the clinch if neither fighter is doing damage. The K1 refs were great about this.

Maybe add another two rounds for title fights like the UFC does. 3x3 minute rounds isn't enough for a lot of fights, particularly between high level guys - Badr Hari vs Alexey Ignashov 2 for instance.

In general, I think the K1 rules and the scoring system heavily emphasize action and aggressiveness and that's what people want to see. It's tailor made for television and American audiences and it's just amazing that no one has done it.

Huge fan, too, Duke! I love your instructional videos and your camp is producing some KILLERS. If you (or anyone else) can put together a real kickboxing promotion with a business model similar to the UFC and get it televised in the states you're going to make a LOT of money. Guys like Petrosyan and Buakaw and Hari and Saki should be superstars in America, and I don't think any of them are even under exclusive contract (ignoring Hari's legal issues).

If you could get them on primetime TV... when people see these guys in action for the first time they're gonna freak the fuck out. The potential is just incredible.

Good luck, man. I think you understand the fight game well enough and have enough credibility and connections to really get some traction and bring kickboxing to America... and there are very few things that would make me happier to see.
2/18/13 7:29 AM
UGCKIRTT_SonofJockstrap
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd love to see a San Shou ruleset somewhere that is accessible but if I have the choice between K-1/Glory and MT, gotta go with K-1.

2/18/13 7:33 AM
Fedoral Crime
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-1 Phone Post
2/18/13 7:44 AM
GarlicSauce

Definitely Muay Thai. More variety = more fun to watch.
2/18/13 8:27 AM
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
Subvertir - I prefer the K1 ruleset.

I can appreciate elbows (and of course they're effective) but as a fan, I don't want to see great action stopped prematurely due to cuts. Definitely allow knees in the clinch, though, and break up the clinch if neither fighter is doing damage. The K1 refs were great about this.

Maybe add another two rounds for title fights like the UFC does. 3x3 minute rounds isn't enough for a lot of fights, particularly between high level guys - Badr Hari vs Alexey Ignashov 2 for instance.

In general, I think the K1 rules and the scoring system heavily emphasize action and aggressiveness and that's what people want to see. It's tailor made for television and American audiences and it's just amazing that no one has done it.

Huge fan, too, Duke! I love your instructional videos and your camp is producing some KILLERS. If you (or anyone else) can put together a real kickboxing promotion with a business model similar to the UFC and get it televised in the states you're going to make a LOT of money. Guys like Petrosyan and Buakaw and Hari and Saki should be superstars in America, and I don't think any of them are even under exclusive contract (ignoring Hari's legal issues).

If you could get them on primetime TV... when people see these guys in action for the first time they're gonna freak the fuck out. The potential is just incredible.

Good luck, man. I think you understand the fight game well enough and have enough credibility and connections to really get some traction and bring kickboxing to America... and there are very few things that would make me happier to see.

Thanks for the Kind Words!!!!

We are working with Glory World Series o promote The ROAD TO GLORY 8 Man Lightweight Tournament (154 lbs) May 11 here in Milwaukee. The prize is $20,000 & a year contract. I am beyond excited to b working & supporting Glory!

We have promoted Authentic Muay Thai, Modified Muay Thai & K1 Rules Fights back in the day in Milwaukee.

I am a big fan of the THAI Fight promotion in Thailand where Buakaw fights. Very faced paced Fights only 3 rounds but lots of action & cool techniques.

Our show will feature Muay Thai & Shoot Boxing as well. Our Muay Thai will be following the THAI FIGHT model.

I love MMA & I am not losing my focus. I am giving back to the community that made made me.
2/18/13 9:03 AM
Sub Aquatic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/13 11:19 AM

I like that K1 keeps the fight flowing well and minimizes cut stoppages but I also like that full MT is a real test of who's the most complete stand up fighter which in my eyes adds a little extra prestige to it.

As an example it just seems wrong having a guy like Nathan Corbett fight under K1 rules unable to throw elbows and really fight to his maximum potential. Almost seems like beating a really good MT guy under K1 rules might even feel a little hollow - kinda like beating Reggie Miller in a basketball game with no 3 pointers allowed!

Both rule sets are exciting with a different flavour but I think the most interesting would be a hybrid somewhere in the middle with elbows allowed and some restrictions on clinch work to keep things fluid.

2/18/13 9:10 AM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a looong time fan of Muay Thai proper. For action that people will relate to and accept, k-1 rules will probably serve you best. Or just a bit more time to clench. MT has clinching that most people don't appreciate or understand the intricacies very well. i love it but it will be hard to sell it.

2/18/13 9:11 AM
Dawkins

Even yodsanklai fairtex said he prefers k1 rules in a interview leading up to his fight with Any Souwer at a Slamm event.

Only time I don't enjoy K1/Glory rules is during heavyweight Gran Prix/Gran Slam events.
2/18/13 9:35 AM
Rusty Shackleford
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3x3 Muay Thai Phone Post
2/18/13 9:41 AM
Rusty Shackleford
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a big fan of both rule sets though and it really depends on who is fighting and the promotion. I don't want to see Andy Souwer in full Thai rules and I don't want to see Kem in k-1/glory rules. Phone Post
2/18/13 1:17 PM
Duke Roufus
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/13 1:25 PM
I like Slamm & THAI Fights for Muay Thai, no stadium/betting or influence from Bangkok, just straight up fighting!

Check them out.

GLORY brings it in the entertainment category!
2/18/13 1:22 PM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
Saki is fuckin scary
2/18/13 1:26 PM
Duke Roufus

john joe - Saki is fuckin scary

Agreed!
2/18/13 1:28 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like MT rules with elbows and clinch but i dislike the thai scoring wich is really there for the gamblers anyway

2/18/13 3:58 PM
Sajite
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K1 Phone Post
2/18/13 4:03 PM
EckY
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

K-1 rules are definitely more fast paced, fun fights for the most part, Thai rules can turn into grueling clinch fests a lot of the time.  I think K-1 rules that still allow 2 handed clinches is the best format.

2/18/13 4:24 PM
Sudo21

K1 scoring with muay thai skills allowed.
2/19/13 6:00 PM
zealot66

Actually, I think now the time is good for a resurgance or emergence of Kickboxing/MT . Stand up skills at large have improved enought to engage the viewer into seing good striking. In the past, it was just a small society and there were hardly fights to be had. You had really good fighters and stiffs. Good luck. Any idea on a line up?

2/19/13 6:30 PM
PhilBaroni
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

full Muay Thai rules
2/19/13 6:54 PM
32Hunter

Muay Thai rules, K1 presentation(no music/3 rounds? no feeling out round)
2/19/13 6:59 PM
bretxthreat
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as I know if you are working in the clinch they are gonna let it got for 4 or 5 seconds. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:59 PM
bretxthreat
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In glory that is Phone Post
2/19/13 7:33 PM
tommypatron
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory/K-1 rules Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.