UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do you guys like Glory/K1 Rules or MuayThai more?

2/19/13 7:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tommypatron
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glory/K-1 rules Phone Post
2/19/13 7:41 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

daba -  MT. Didn't K-1 change their rules because of Buakaw? I always thought that was messed up. Phone Post

Believe this is another long perpetuated UG myth revolving specifically around K1 wanting to protect Masato from Buakaw. Does anyone have the exact time line of when K1 implemented there rule change on the clinch. As some of the others have pointed out, I believe the consideration of the clinch slowing down the action if there is no reset which is again I believe why the 3 second rule is there. This is similar to judo and rules around gripping where if you take it you have to attack within 3 seconds as you can stall like crazy otherwise or slow the action down.
2/19/13 7:43 PM
Wasa-B
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gokudamus stole my name - I like MT rules with elbows and clinch but i dislike the thai scoring wich is really there for the gamblers anyway

Aside from weighing kicks more, what else about the Thai scoring is different from K1/Glory?
2/19/13 7:43 PM
Wasa-B

TTT for Dick and his interaction on the UG btw. We are pretty lucky.
2/20/13 8:55 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Gokudamus stole my name - I like MT rules with elbows and clinch but i dislike the thai scoring wich is really there for the gamblers anyway

Aside from weighing kicks more, what else about the Thai scoring is different from K1/Glory?

Its not just weighing kicks more. A teep scores more than a legkick unless you visibly hurt him with the legkick, a kick to the arms score more than a punch unless you visibly hurt the opponent with the punch

The scoring for MT is very visual, in holland and other western countries they use clickers to score techniques, in Thailand a guy might land 100 punches but a strong knee from his opponent wins him the round

And keep in mind the knee doesnt have to fold him over, all it takes is that a technique visually shows its effect on the opponent to score, a teep knocks you back, a kick to the arm knocks you back, a punch therefore needs to make you stagger, a legkick needs to make you stagger otherwise no score

Muay Thai is awesome but the sport is highly influenced by thai gamblers. Thats why its so hard to understand for a lot of westerners and imo we need another direction
2/20/13 9:45 AM
The Sauce
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge Thaiboxing fan!!! Phone Post
2/20/13 9:48 AM
Da Ghost
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muay Thai for me! K1 is purely commercial.

Can't beat a good bit of clinch work and elbows imo Phone Post
2/20/13 9:57 AM
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - people generally say "Muay Thai" with the reasoning that its "a more complete ruleset" , but in terms of a spectator sport, K1/Glory rules blow it away. People who have watched both, unless they are a hard MT aficionado, will opt for K1 nine times out of ten.

faster pace, harder hits, more KO's, better hands etc

knees from the clinch would be nice ; Glory has the 3second/active clinch rule which seems to be a step in this direction
Couldn't have said it better! Phone Post
2/20/13 5:47 PM
Wasa-B

Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III - 
john joe - people generally say "Muay Thai" with the reasoning that its "a more complete ruleset" , but in terms of a spectator sport, K1/Glory rules blow it away. People who have watched both, unless they are a hard MT aficionado, will opt for K1 nine times out of ten.

faster pace, harder hits, more KO's, better hands etc

knees from the clinch would be nice ; Glory has the 3second/active clinch rule which seems to be a step in this direction
Couldn't have said it better! Phone Post

Does K1 also not have a 3 second rule?
2/20/13 5:50 PM
Wasa-B

Gokudamus stole my name - 
Wasa-B - 

Its not just weighing kicks more. A teep scores more than a legkick unless you visibly hurt him with the legkick, a kick to the arms score more than a punch unless you visibly hurt the opponent with the punch

The scoring for MT is very visual, in holland and other western countries they use clickers to score techniques, in Thailand a guy might land 100 punches but a strong knee from his opponent wins him the round

And keep in mind the knee doesnt have to fold him over, all it takes is that a technique visually shows its effect on the opponent to score, a teep knocks you back, a kick to the arm knocks you back, a punch therefore needs to make you stagger, a legkick needs to make you stagger otherwise no score

Muay Thai is awesome but the sport is highly influenced by thai gamblers. Thats why its so hard to understand for a lot of westerners and imo we need another direction

Interesting. Can see then quite a curve for Thai/MT guys going to K1 and vice versa. Are there different rules within Thailand as well? Like, are elbows ever not allowed? Are they much of a factor?

Also, how long can the clinch go in MT? Until there is an obvious stalemate?

How are sweeps (ie. where you catch a leg and sweep the other) scored in either?

Thanks again, good to learn this stuff.
2/20/13 5:52 PM
Wasa-B

Wasa-B - 
daba -  MT. Didn't K-1 change their rules because of Buakaw? I always thought that was messed up. Phone Post

Believe this is another long perpetuated UG myth revolving specifically around K1 wanting to protect Masato from Buakaw. Does anyone have the exact time line of when K1 implemented there rule change on the clinch. As some of the others have pointed out, I believe the consideration of the clinch slowing down the action if there is no reset which is again I believe why the 3 second rule is there. This is similar to judo and rules around gripping where if you take it you have to attack within 3 seconds as you can stall like crazy otherwise or slow the action down.

Can anyone validate this?
2/20/13 5:52 PM
Wasa-B

Btw, did Duke mention they may also have Shoot Boxing rules? Thoughts?
2/20/13 6:01 PM
DJmixmasterMobbie

subbb
2/20/13 6:02 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Gokudamus stole my name - 
Wasa-B - 

Interesting. Can see then quite a curve for Thai/MT guys going to K1 and vice versa. Are there different rules within Thailand as well? Like, are elbows ever not allowed? Are they much of a factor?

Also, how long can the clinch go in MT? Until there is an obvious stalemate?

How are sweeps (ie. where you catch a leg and sweep the other) scored in either?

Thanks again, good to learn this stuff.

No the rules are always the same in Thailand. Elbows are not scored at all unless they cut, drop or stagger the opponent but they are a serious factor. Usually the thais dont throw a lot of them against each other, because getting stitches usually means you risk of opening up the cut and not fighting again in 3 weeks. But if they are pissed at each other, then you might see a KO

Clinch is allowed for quite a while but IIRC there was a recent change a few years ago because the gamblers felt it was slowing down too much

Sweeps are scored highly because of course it means you visibly dropped your opponent, but no real throws, you can sweep the guy with your shin/top of your foot, but not reallly foot sweep him judo style. Sort of like how Overeem does it

2/20/13 6:03 PM
AldoErasedMyAnswer

Muay Thai
2/20/13 6:08 PM
ManWithTheIronFists
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MT not the watered down BS that is K1 because they didn't want Buakaw to win every year.
2/20/13 6:10 PM
genshi
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Full Muay Thai Rules
2/20/13 7:30 PM
Wasa-B

ManWithTheIronFists - MT not the watered down BS that is K1 because they didn't want Buakaw to win every year.

Another one....
2/20/13 7:31 PM
Wasa-B

"Sweeps are scored highly because of course it means you visibly dropped your opponent"

They are not scored as highly as dropping your opponent with a strike though are they?
2/20/13 7:39 PM
sparkuri

Muay Thai, but either is glorious

2/20/13 7:54 PM
Rusty Shackleford
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - Btw, did Duke mention they may also have Shoot Boxing rules? Thoughts?

He did, and thats something i would definately like to see more of on this side of the world.

3/13/13 9:45 AM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhilBaroni - full Muay Thai rules

Phil,

You Got It!

Our new promotion Knockout Kings!

We are gonna follow the format of THAI FIGHTS promotion in Thailand, 3 round fast paced Full Rules Muay Thai Fights.

For the pros we are using MMA Weight Classes

Amateur bouts sanctioned the TBA.

Our 1st event May 11 along with Glory's ROAD TO GLORY.

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/KnockoutKingsMuayThai
3/13/13 10:23 AM
Megatherium
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great news, glad to here this!

Sounds very promising.
3/13/13 4:53 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally am excited to see Muay Thai fights but the format of K-1 is a proven quantity. I can think of so many K-1 max fighters that are so visually exciting and fast paced. Andy Sower, Buakaw, etc that pushed the action and very vew fights were stopped on cuts. I expect that depending on matchups there are a couple stopped on Cuts. In thailand, they don't stop for cuts but state side, a cut will stop an exciting fight. Rock em Sockem is what is needed.

6/5/13 8:48 AM
Duke Roufus
447 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Highlights of the ROAD TO GLORY Tournament May 11 Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4G5IjXA_s&feature=youtu.be

Our fans loved the GLORY Fights!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.