UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> 1 leg xguard - knee reap DQ

2/18/13 9:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shermbe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just adding my name to the list of people getting wrongly disqualified for playing 1 leg xguard.

http://youtu.be/ON7GfwDPw5E

i get swept at 2:40, recover with 1 leg xguard to re-sweep. I think its pretty clear my opponents causes the reap but i kept my heel planted on the hip the whole time.

if anyone sees it differently, please explain.
2/18/13 9:48 AM
Hugh Jaynus
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Total horseshit. The armdrag to the top and the over/under pass from half guard were both awesome too!
2/18/13 9:54 AM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It doesn't look like his hand pushed your foot across. It looks like his hip rotation caused your foot to slip and come across for a split second at exactly 2:45. Unfortunate, but I think it's the right call.
2/18/13 9:55 AM
onyx2002
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was horrible! Quite an enjoyable match too, no stalling and didn't look like anyone was spazzing out. Really like the MG gi.
2/18/13 10:08 AM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Horrible rule.

2/18/13 10:16 AM
T-Ham
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That guy was clearly about to have his knee ruined forever.

Right call IMO Phone Post
2/18/13 10:46 AM
gusto

bad bad rule, by i didnt see him push it across. im not a heferee

id be very wary of playing 1 legged x guard because of this at lower level. Marcelo is going to get benefit of the doubt. blue belts? not so much

didnt look like your opponent was happy about wining that way either
2/18/13 11:25 AM
Matthieu Battle
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what happened to not immediately DQing for reaping? wasn't that change being pimped pretty hard not long ago?
2/18/13 11:54 AM
Calibur1980
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lucky the ref stopped it when he did! The poor guys knee looked like it was gonna pop off. :(

Surprised he was able to walk without limping. Phone Post
2/18/13 12:16 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rumor is his knee exploded that night while he was sleeping, delayed death reap technique was the cause
2/18/13 1:07 PM
Mark Hunter
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The DQ was bullsh*t. Looked like a nice, technical match to me.
2/18/13 1:53 PM
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think that your foot got anywhere near the mid point and you weren't turning the leg in, he was. Complete rubbish. Phone Post
2/18/13 3:19 PM
shermbe

Edited: 02/18/13 3:40 PM
i sent the video to the tournament organizer. He disagreed with the ref decision as well, said he would speak with the ref to go over the position and is comping me a free division at another event of my choosing. The free division is a bonus but having one more ref out there who's knowledgeably of that position makes me feel better. im tired of being told that i shouldn't go for 1 leg x guard because its risky. If anyone has the opportunity, compete at The Good Fight. everything ran on schedule or ahead of schedule, the fees were not overpriced, and they do right when a mistake is made.

i went on to take first in no-gi so the day wasn't a complete loss
2/18/13 4:28 PM
Rival School

Two opinions

Is that rule dog shit? Of coarse

If I'm a ref and I'm forced to enforce a shit rule did this break it? Yes but just barely Phone Post
2/18/13 4:36 PM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh wow I used to train with your opponent in my college town. Small world. Phone Post
2/18/13 7:02 PM
BackAddict347x

Welp, there goes my subscription to MGinaction.
2/18/13 8:27 PM
Gward is good

Terrible DQ. That's what makes me reluctant to play that guard, even though it's one of my favorite positions.
2/19/13 1:59 AM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i thought they fixed this rule? are there any videos from the ibjjf or at least a qualified referee on how they are SUPPOSED to be interpreting this rule as of now, 2013?
2/19/13 2:02 AM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a bs rule... I've been playing alot if single leg/ x guard ... But I don't compete much so I don't really pay attention to whether I reap or not .... Do u train with mg? Phone Post
2/19/13 9:35 AM
shermbe

demandango - i thought they fixed this rule? are there any videos from the ibjjf or at least a qualified referee on how they are SUPPOSED to be interpreting this rule as of now, 2013?

im not super clear myself on the new rules. they dont go into details or examples on what's now a warning and not an immediate DQ. I interpreted it as an accidental reap where the foot is replaced immediately would be a warning or maybe thats just what i think makes sense.

yes i train with MG.
2/19/13 11:30 AM
green_machine
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody do the Houston Open this weekend and witness any of the new handling of the rule?
2/19/13 12:19 PM
JRockwell
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone needs to buy Carlinhos an MGinAction subscription so he can see how often this position is used and NO ONE ever gets hurt. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:55 PM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell -  Someone needs to buy Carlinhos an MGinAction subscription so he can see how often this position is used and NO ONE ever gets hurt. Phone Post

you're trying to put the horse before the cart...Pretty sure injuries caused the rule.

Probably a significant difference between training partners at MG's versus some douche at a tourney going all out on your knee.

I think the IBJJf is trying to reach a middle ground where you can place your foot on the hip without bringing over and reaping.
2/19/13 2:49 PM
JRockwell

mrgoodarmbar -
JRockwell -  Someone needs to buy Carlinhos an MGinAction subscription so he can see how often this position is used and NO ONE ever gets hurt. Phone Post

you're trying to put the horse before the cart...Pretty sure injuries caused the rule.

Probably a significant difference between training partners at MG's versus some douche at a tourney going all out on your knee.

I think the IBJJf is trying to reach a middle ground where you can place your foot on the hip without bringing over and reaping.
Doesn't the horse normally go before the cart? :)

I like the position a lot, have used it a lot in both competition and the gym, never hurt anyone or seen someone get hurt. Unlike the 50/50, by the way, which while being perfectly legal, I have seen people hurt themselves in training trying to force their way out. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:59 PM
jasculs
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guaranteed Grappling Improvement!, Click Here For More!

1 leg x-guard is my bread and better lately... this rule will always be b.s. that's why my support for ibjjf comps has went way down.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.