UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Hip question for a white belt

2/18/13 9:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So im a white belt, im wondering how I can feel heavier or tigher? Im not sure which word to use.... while im ontop. Im assuming its all hip positioning/pressure? Are there any tips or drill that I can do? Phone Post
2/18/13 9:25 PM
AokiPants
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crossface, shoulder into their chin, get off your knees and onto your toes Phone Post
2/18/13 10:04 PM
omoplautistic
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly really pressure is mainly about balance and that will come with time.

To put it not so simply, learn first to hold position with tension, and then learn how to hold position without tension.

Think of it like the difference between having the bottom person being stuck in a cage and being stuck under a waterbed.

So, y'know. It'll come. Phone Post
2/18/13 10:16 PM
TheBearStare
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Practice more Phone Post
2/18/13 10:19 PM
TheBearStare
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ask people in class that feel heavy to specifically show you what they are doing and ask if they will let you practice it on them. Listen to their feedback to see if you are on the right track. Pressure like that is something u really have to practice in person and get direct feedback on what youre doing to make sure you are doing it correctly and u cant just go by what you read in a book or forum. Phone Post
2/18/13 11:08 PM
Pride Wanderlei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys! Phone Post
2/19/13 2:39 PM
Stubbsy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omoplautistic - Honestly really pressure is mainly about balance and that will come with time.

To put it not so simply, learn first to hold position with tension, and then learn how to hold position without tension.

Think of it like the difference between having the bottom person being stuck in a cage and being stuck under a waterbed.

So, y'know. It'll come. Phone Post
That is a great description. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:40 PM
Stubbsy

It was weight through the hips and not the chest and shoulders for me. It shut down distance and made me hugely more stable. If you feel like you are going to get rocked, think about where your weight is going and adjust. Phone Post
2/19/13 3:15 PM
foreverwhitebelt
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Martin Aedma talks a little bit about what he calls "hips in" pressure in this blogpost. (http://martinaedma.bjj.ee/2011/01/essentials-of-mount/) Maybe reading through this and watching his video will help you a little bit.
2/19/13 5:07 PM
AokiPants

foreverwhitebelt - Martin Aedma talks a little bit about what he calls "hips in" pressure in this blogpost. (http://martinaedma.bjj.ee/2011/01/essentials-of-mount/) Maybe reading through this and watching his video will help you a little bit.
Martin is the person responsible for my top game no longer sucking. I used to feel like a pillow and now I'm actually getting people to give up their arms due to the amount of pressure I'm putting on. Great instructor. Phone Post
2/19/13 5:13 PM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are MANY instructors that give examples of this but anytime I here pressure, I think Joe Moreira. He is notorious/famous for his pressure. His BB students that post here, Roy Harris and Michael Jen always talk about pressure.

One of my first instructors (BB of Moreira) was Ed Keller (RIP). His pressure was painfully perfect. Damn he was strong and "fake" heavy!! Phone Post
2/19/13 5:32 PM
mrgoodarmbar
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

from side control...Don't put the middle of your chest directly of the middle of his. You won't get any heavier than gravity allows. The middle of your chest should be a bit to his near side rib cage, with your hips low so that you can drive into him.

In general don't put your knees on the mat. You should be on the balls of your feet and your knees should be barely off the mat.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.