UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> BJJ in San Francisco

2/19/13 6:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Punchie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm coming over to San Francisco from Ireland for a few weeks. I'm staying near Buena Vista (Ashbury Heights) and I'm hoping to find somewhere to train BJJ (gi or no-gi) a couple evenings a week. I'm relying on public transport by the way.

Anyone have any ideas? Would be much appreciated.
Thanks guys
2/19/13 6:55 AM
Bjjudo

10th planet sf is a good choice, so is ralphs. If u are into nogi, and near one or my homies, you might be able to get a ride to mt tam mma in san rafael, every monday morning Travis magalit (10th planet brown belt) runs a class, and about 4 different gyms worth of blue purple and brown belts show up. Phone Post
2/19/13 8:51 AM
Bjjudo

Also, bay juijitsu for gi is a solid choice. Stephen goyne is the head instructor and a super nice hit with a solid game. Phone Post
2/19/13 9:34 AM
Punchie

Sounds great thanks, I'm still trying to figure out the bus/train system, do you know off the top of your head if these places are on any bus/train routes?
2/19/13 11:19 AM
suburban techniques

If you don't train at Ralph Gracie SF with Kurt Osiander, you fucked up a long time ago. Phone Post
2/19/13 11:29 AM
joe_mama
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suburban techniques -  If you don't train at Ralph Gracie SF with Kurt Osiander, you fucked up a long time ago. Phone Post

Yes.
2/19/13 12:19 PM
Blkbelt39
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sergio silva teaches up there I believe. He a 3rd degree black belt. Almada bjj I think Phone Post
2/19/13 2:00 PM
Soulroller
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your gonna be smack dab right in the middle of SF. There really isn't anything right around the corner from you (walking distance) there's
Sapão's at ocean beach

Stephan Goyne at Bay JJ in Japantown

Denny at 10th planet (which may be closest to you) on Valencia st.

Kurt on Howard st. In SOMA

Romulo Melo (Royler Gracie/Vinni Aieta BB) Pacific heights/china town area

Empower Gym Rhalan Gracie/ Tariq (sp) north beach area. Might be only nogi classes.

I used to train at Bay JJ with Stephan and Romulo Melo both are great teachers in their own right. Can go wrong either way. The transit system can get a little confusing so don't be afraid to use some maps and ask. SF is an awesome city. Plus the SF open is on Sunday at Kezar's which is close to ashbury heights. Check it out. good luck Phone Post
2/19/13 2:02 PM
Soulroller
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Punchie - Sounds great thanks, I'm still trying to figure out the bus/train system, do you know off the top of your head if these places are on any bus/train routes?
If you can get to market st and take the street car #4 and get off by civic center Kurt is a couple blocks away from there on Howard. Phone Post
2/19/13 4:58 PM
CoreNobody
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joe_mama -
suburban techniques -  If you don't train at Ralph Gracie SF with Kurt Osiander, you fucked up a long time ago. Phone Post

Yes.
Haha! Phone Post
2/20/13 3:35 AM
Punchie

Soulroller - 
Punchie - Sounds great thanks, I'm still trying to figure out the bus/train system, do you know off the top of your head if these places are on any bus/train routes?
If you can get to market st and take the street car #4 and get off by civic center Kurt is a couple blocks away from there on Howard. Phone Post

Awesome !! Thank you. And thanks everyone else for your input. I'll try to get around to a few places if I have time. Disgusted that I'm missing the SF open by one day

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.