UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Marquardt in vs. Ellenberger at UFC 158

2/19/13 7:55 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1064 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Nate Marquardt will meet Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158.

The former Strikeforce welterweight champion fills a spot left vacant by Johny Hendricks, who was tapped to meet onetime UFC title challenger Carlos Condit when Rory MacDonald was forced to withdraw from the event due to injury.

Marquardt returns to the octagon two years after failing to receive medical clearance to headline UFC on VERSUS 4 against Rick Story, which prompted the promotion to release him. Later, he revealed that a regimen of testosterone-replacement therapy caused his scratch from the event. He got a second chance with the Zuffa-owned Strikeforce and later returned to the UFC when the promotion was shut down.

Read entire article...

2/19/13 8:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Letibleu
1651 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2/19/13 8:09 AM
LastMinuteReplacement
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingstonHawkeJr - Silva just dropped the ball. Really think he should've put Marquardt in vs Condit and left the Ellenberger vs Hendricks fight alone. If Condit beats Hendricks (which I expect) then all you've done is kill off a title contender.

I agree, good post
2/19/13 8:10 AM
Gene Pitney

KingstonHawkeJr - Silva just dropped the ball. Really think he should've put Marquardt in vs Condit and left the Ellenberger vs Hendricks fight alone. If Condit beats Hendricks (which I expect) then all you've done is kill off a title contender.

Yeah cos its a real travesty having the #1 and #2 guys in the world fighting isnt it
2/19/13 8:12 AM
SupesUp
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gene Pitney -

Yeah cos its a real travesty having the #1 and #2 guys in the world fighting isnt it
Yeah im not gonna complain about Hendricks and Condit throwing down but I see what you're saying.
I think the card is just as strong. Phone Post
2/19/13 8:13 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingstonHawkeJr - Silva just dropped the ball. Really think he should've put Marquardt in vs Condit and left the Ellenberger vs Hendricks fight alone. If Condit beats Hendricks (which I expect) then all you've done is kill off a title contender.
Condit doesnt get past Hendricks BET THAT Phone Post
2/19/13 8:20 AM
Big Pookie
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really, if Hendricks loses he can just move up to MW and fight Anderson for the title...

In all seriousness, Hendricks vs. Condit is a much better fight than Hendricks vs. Ellenberger. I don't really care what the title implications are because it changes more times than the weather.

2/19/13 8:43 AM
3rdLion
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hoping Jake can pull this one off!
2/19/13 8:48 AM
BrattMamley
1019 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/19/13 9:09 AM
Card
1907 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They messed up the bigfoot fight... but who could have saw that coming.

I agree though, fights that produce a challenger with either winner are better.

2/19/13 9:49 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

arnanderson - LOL. Huge fuckup by the UFC. Now when Hendricks loses and Ellenberger wins, Ellenberger might get the title shot
And what's wrong with that?
Bunch of whiners here Phone Post
2/19/13 9:59 AM
letsgobois

I'm not sure why Saffedine was not put in this matchup? Maybe he'll fight Condit if he beats Henricks?

2/19/13 10:11 AM
Pancake Syrup
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ellenberger by DEC
2/19/13 12:08 PM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

arnanderson - 
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat - 
arnanderson - LOL. Huge fuckup by the UFC. Now when Hendricks loses and Ellenberger wins, Ellenberger might get the title shot
And what's wrong with that?
Bunch of whiners here Phone Post

I don't thinks there's anything wrong with that, but its definitely not what the UFC wants.

Or they just make GSP/silva and life returns to normal
2/19/13 12:46 PM
Bigp5437

It's on Hendricks anyway..all the complaining he's done? If he can't get past Condit he doesn't deserve the title shot anyways. Put up or shut up time..he decisively beats or finishes Condit, there's NO disputing it anymore unless Silva drops down. Even if he had his original fight, and then somehow beat GSP, it's very likely he could run into Condit anyways..might as well find out if he really belongs at the top right now.
2/19/13 12:51 PM
MRG1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingstonHawkeJr - 
Big Pookie - 

Not really, if Hendricks loses he can just move up to MW and fight Anderson for the title...

In all seriousness, Hendricks vs. Condit is a much better fight than Hendricks vs. Ellenberger. I don't really care what the title implications are because it changes more times than the weather.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think that Condit and Hendricks will make for a good fight. I'm just a person who prefers when all the implications are aligned.

When they signed Belfort v. Bisping, and Big Foot v. Reem I had the same comment. Why keep making fights where a "fresh" contender takes on a guy we just saw dominated by the champ? If things go left it creates dumb situations... like Cain vs Big Foot 2, a fight absolutely NO ONE (including Big Foot fans) wants to see.

speak for yourself.
i still want to see cain/bigfoot 2.
2/19/13 1:04 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a Rory fan, I'm impressed with how awesome this card is card still looks. Marquardt vs Ellenberger is a fucking explosive matchup.

Condit vs Hendricks should be exciting as hell, and when you look at the WW division... nothing bad will happen if Hendricks loses. The HW division is a different story, there's a lot of guys in good positions at WW. Maia, Tarec etc. If Condit beats Hendricks, give him one more top guy. If Carlos can earn it, sure... put on GSP - Condit 2. The first fight was pretty good.
2/19/13 1:37 PM
MMAfan1million

KingstonHawkeJr - Silva just dropped the ball. Really think he should've put Marquardt in vs Condit and left the Ellenberger vs Hendricks fight alone. If Condit beats Hendricks (which I expect) then all you've done is kill off a title contender.
Which I think is exactly what they (UFC brass) wants. Get rid of a potential threat to GSP's reign (I'm a big GSP fan and think he would beat Hendricks - but he's got that scary, one-punch knock-out power). And punish Hendricks for being such a f'n whining cunt. Phone Post
2/19/13 1:52 PM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media Monster -

I don't understand this match up.  Tarec Saffiedine turns this guy's leg into burger and they give him Ellenberger?  Not to mention this very well can turn into a humpfest.

Why not put in Tarec?  He's the SF champ.  This fight had title contender potential, now... meh.

or Tyron Woodley, that dude made a statement and ASKED to be on this card if someone was injured.  They're throwing Nate a bone here, one he doesn't deserve after his last performance, which I was not impressed by (GSP voice)

Tarec was offered fight with Hendricks and turned it down. Not sure if Ellenberger fight was offered. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:50 PM
FunkMasterJoe
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media Monster -
FunkMasterJoe - 
Media Monster -

I don't understand this match up.  Tarec Saffiedine turns this guy's leg into burger and they give him Ellenberger?  Not to mention this very well can turn into a humpfest.

Why not put in Tarec?  He's the SF champ.  This fight had title contender potential, now... meh.

or Tyron Woodley, that dude made a statement and ASKED to be on this card if someone was injured.  They're throwing Nate a bone here, one he doesn't deserve after his last performance, which I was not impressed by (GSP voice)

Tarec was offered fight with Hendricks and turned it down. Not sure if Ellenberger fight was offered. Phone Post

Got it - nevermind then.  Was he the one that DFW was talking about "never turn down Silva when he calls"?

Probably not, because I believe that was at the post fight presser for Fuel 7, and this seemed to have happened after that. I think they were actually talking about Kongo if I'm not mistaken. I think he turned down like 2 fights or something. Phone Post
2/19/13 2:55 PM
ShowtimeKick

Hahaha Kingston= op Phone Post
2/19/13 3:26 PM
Chris27

I assume Rory/Maia will be made if he isnt out that long, maybe in May/June.
2/19/13 6:45 PM
sevr1

Tarec might be the backup plan if Hendricks and Ellenberger go down.
2/19/13 6:54 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe Tarec was offered Rory when he comes back? Phone Post
2/19/13 7:01 PM
tonytr

MMAfan1million - 
Which I think is exactly what they (UFC brass) wants. Get rid of a potential threat to GSP's reign (I'm a big GSP fan and think he would beat Hendricks - but he's got that scary, one-punch knock-out power). And punish Hendricks for being such a f'n whining cunt. Phone Post

It's not whining if he deserves it. He absolutely deserved that fucking title shot, nobody can deny it. But guess what? Condit will probably lose. I don't think Hendricks will finish him, but Johny's wrestling will make the difference.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.