UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What 'something' did Josh Barnett want?

2/19/13 9:31 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Although an offer remains on the table, it looks now like Josh Barnett, who is 9-1 in the last half decade, will not be fighting in the UFC.

UFC president Dana White, who is characteristically unkind to figures he cannot sign, offered instead high praise for the "The Warmaster."

"I'm sure Josh Barnett doesn't care," said White of the failure to come to terms that would bring the heavyweight into the UFC. "Josh Barnett's a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants type guy, beats to his own drum. He said if he stayed in the UFC all this time, what could he have accomplished or whatever.

"But Josh Barnett's never been a guy to say 'I don't want to fight this guy' or 'I don't want to fight that guy.' He's not that type of person. He likes to fight."

For his part, Barnett has in the recent past offered White his highest praise.

“Dana likes to go out there and crush, kill, pillage, whatever; and let’s face it, that’s kind of my M.O.,” said Barnett admiringly in 2011. “As much as I may have ever had difficulty with Dana at the end of the day there is a part of me that absolutely vibes with what he is does.

“Whether he wants to think about it or not, here and now, no bull$#!^, Dana White is pretty f@$%ing metal and I am a metal dude."

So what went wrong?

Barnett's manager Leland LaBarre recently appeared on The MMA Hour, and offered a statement on Barnett's behalf.

"I was excited to fight Junior. I thought he was a favorable match up for me, but Zuffa was unwilling to give me something that they gave Eddie Alvarez. No disrespect to Eddie, but I felt it was fair to give it to me as well. Although things seem to be working out well for me, I feel bad for the fans. They wanted me to fight certain guys in the UFC and I really wanted to give them those fights. Once we get the deal we are working on done, the fight the fans scream for will be lost forever."

The two key aspects of the statement are the indication that Barnett is nearing completion of a deal, presumably with another promotion, and the word "something."

What is the "something" that Eddie Alvarez was offered that Barnett was not.

The deal with Eddie Alvarez, so enticing that it has led to a court case with Bellator that appears to be in settlement negotiation, had several key points:
•Eight fight deal;
•Immediate title shot;
•$250,000 signing bonus;
•$75,000 to show and another $75, 000 to win, escalating $5,000 with each win, to a maximum of $210,000;
•A cut of the PPV buys ($1 for the first 200,000 to 400,000 buys, $2 for the next 400,000 to 600,000 buys, and $2.50 for each buy over 600,000).
• A fight on a FOX card, with the attendant exposure to millions of fans;
•Three commentary opportunities.

The area of disagreement is in all likelihood not the monetary terms, as that is not what drives Josh Barnett. Barnett is an avid professional wrestler, and the UFC takes a dim view of fighters participating in what could be a rival for the fans eyeballs, but Alvarez was not offered a deal that allows him to do pro wrestling.

So what was the "something" Zuffa is unwilling to give Barnett that they offered Eddie Alvarez?

And was it fair for Josh Barnett to expect an offer similar to that offered Alvarez?

And who is the deal with that is nearing completion?

And lastly, what ever promotion he signs with, who is Josh Barnett going to fight?

With the exception of Daniel Cormier who is now signed with the UFC, Strikeforce, which had a ferocious roster of heavyweights, managed to get the following opponents for The Warmaster - Nandor Guelmino, Sergei Kharitonov, Brett Rogers, Geronimo dos Santos, Siala Siliga, Gilbert Yvel, and Pedro Rizzo.  Is any promotion on Earth going to be able to find stiffer competition? Or is the 35 year old going to close his career fighting the Siala Siligas and Nandor Guelminos of mixed martial arts?

As a huge Josh Barnett fan, I do well and truly hope not. As fan, losing the matchups Barnett would have in the UFC feels like a crime.

2/19/13 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lifeaftrprison
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking the TV broadcast gig could do it. Or PPV % those are the only two I can imagine causing a possible issue. Either way , damn I was looking forward to some matchups.

Where can he go ? HW is thin elsewhere Phone Post
2/19/13 9:46 AM
Kirik
2024 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

Barnett is great on the mic, I can't see it as the commentating gig. Barnett wouldn't be asking for a title shot coming off a loss. I don't think it is the $. I just don't get it. Freakin bums me out.

2/19/13 9:50 AM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eddie was not offered an immediate title shot
2/19/13 9:58 AM
cheesesteak
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he just wanted a simple hug from Dana. That's all. Is that to much to ask for nowadays?
2/19/13 10:05 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have it from a co firmed inside sauce that he requested to have Kenny florian in a geisha role as dressing room attendant for all his fights, "happy ending" included.
UFC tried but Kenny just won't sink that low. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:16 AM
8flat
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Red M&M's in the dressing room?

I dunno, I'm suspecting it was a cut of the PPV.
2/19/13 10:20 AM
KZTT_FawkingxD
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8flat - Red M&M's in the dressing room?

I dunno, I'm suspecting it was a cut of the PPV.
. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:21 AM
UGCTT_I Fcuking Love The USA
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lifeaftrprison - I'm thinking the TV broadcast gig could do it. Or PPV % those are the only two I can imagine causing a possible issue. Either way , damn I was looking forward to some matchups.

This was my precise thoughts. I could definitely see Josh wanting to get into the commentating gig. He is still a great talent but he isn't getting any younger. I could see this being a sticking point as there can only be so many opportunities that Dana can hand out.

Plus he is a big name and former UFC champ so he may feel he is due a cut of any PPV that he is on.

It will be interesting to see which stipulation it was. My gut feeling is that it was the commentating gig. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:47 AM
MattyECB
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat -  I have it from a co firmed inside sauce that he requested to have Kenny florian in a geisha role as dressing room attendant for all his fights, "happy ending" included.

I couldn't stop laughing at this... for some reason I couldn't stop thinking of Stevie from Eastbound and Down when Will Ferrel captures him and turns him into a Geisha to serve the Koreans from the Kia motor company
2/19/13 10:48 AM
Filo_Beto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It has to be the ppv cut or maybe the signing bonus and nothing to do with his pro wrestling gig.

2/19/13 10:48 AM
BshMstr
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_I Fcuking Love The USA - 
lifeaftrprison - I'm thinking the TV broadcast gig could do it. Or PPV % those are the only two I can imagine causing a possible issue. Either way , damn I was looking forward to some matchups.

This was my precise thoughts. I could definitely see Josh wanting to get into the commentating gig. He is still a great talent but he isn't getting any younger. I could see this being a sticking point as there can only be so many opportunities that Dana can hand out.

Plus he is a big name and former UFC champ so he may feel he is due a cut of any PPV that he is on.

It will be interesting to see which stipulation it was. My gut feeling is that it was the commentating gig. Phone Post

makes sense to me...

i don't think any of what was listed in the article would've been unfair, especially if Alvarez got it....
2/19/13 10:49 AM
Filo_Beto

MattyECB - 
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat -  I have it from a co firmed inside sauce that he requested to have Kenny florian in a geisha role as dressing room attendant for all his fights, "happy ending" included.

I couldn't stop laughing at this... for some reason I couldn't stop thinking of Stevie from Eastbound and Down when Will Ferrel captures him and turns him into a Geisha to serve the Koreans from the Kia motor company

Eddie alvarez has a commenting gig??
2/19/13 10:50 AM
Letibleu
1713 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Josh wanted a TRT exemption. True story.

2/19/13 10:59 AM
Brian Littlefield

PPV

2/19/13 11:01 AM
DanielCaton

Had to be PPV buys.  I think he deserves it, and he can sell a fight.  I don't know why Zuffa wouldn't give it to him.

2/19/13 11:06 AM
Roy Batty
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Fox fight? They might not want to give that kind of exposure to a guy who ain't no company man.
2/19/13 11:22 AM
da Vinci 81
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PPV would be my guess.

And alvarez was going to be scheduled on the upcoming card in jersey so the immediate title shot in his contract was incorrect. Phone Post
2/19/13 11:33 AM
MuchRespec'
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was going to say the same thing; either the mic gig or the ppv % cut seems the most obvious based on what was listed above.

I really hope they can iron it out. C'mon Dana and Lorenzo you know the Warmaster will make you money!
2/19/13 11:59 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought ppv cuts were reserved for top draws or champions. Alvarez would be getting one because they're trying to take away Bellator's biggest name and potentially biggest fight in a Chandler rematch. I guess I don't understand Barnett's complaint, I don't see how there's any way he'll get more from somewhere else. Phone Post
2/19/13 12:21 PM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy Batty - The Fox fight? They might not want to give that kind of exposure to a guy who ain't no company man.

They put Nate Diaz & Rampage on Fox. Chael cut a pro-wrestling promo. That can't be the issue.
2/19/13 12:25 PM
Bofbro
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Title shot.
2/19/13 12:26 PM
Canadian_26
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't He say that compensation wasn't the issue? So Im assuming ppv cut wasn't the problem. Phone Post
2/19/13 12:31 PM
shb
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think there might have been some miscommunication regarding the compensation not being the issue. wouldn't be surprised if barnett wanted a cut of the ppv in order to make up for the lost pro wrestling money and zuffa said no
2/19/13 12:47 PM
Cementhead
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was REALLY hoping to see the warmaster in the UFC again. That would have put all the best Heavies in one promotion. Plus he is my favorite HW and we hardly ever get to see him fight anymore.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.