UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: DON'T f@$%ing turn down Joe Silva

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
2/19/13 9:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This life has only a few fundamental rules that cannot be broken.

"You don't tug on superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask of the ol' lone ranger," and according to UFC president Dana White, you don't turn down UFC VP for Talent Relations Joe Silva.

“I can tell you this man, you f@$%ing call Joe Silva and turn down a fight, you might as well say f@$%ng rip up my contract," said White at the UFC on Fuel TV 7 post-fight media scrum. "He’s a mean little f@$%er. You don’t call Joe Silva and tell him you don’t want to f@$%ing fight anybody man. You might as well take the fight because it’s going be worse if you don’t. You might as well do it, f@$% it, I’ll fight him."

The Matchmaker, although famously low key, is widely regarded as one of the most powerful figures in the sport.

Transcritpion by fightlinker...

Image courtesy of Tracy Lee's CombatLifestyles.com

2/19/13 9:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, so Dana basically admits that they black list fighters who don't do what they want when they want it, even if it is a terrible career move or dangerous short notice weight cut....

2/19/13 9:45 AM
Elite Hunting

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Wow, so Dana basically admits that they black list fighters who don't do what they want when they want it, even if it is a terrible career move or dangerous short notice weight cut....

Who said anything about dangerous short notice weight? Or is that just what you WANT to think and therefore you added it yourself?

Guys who are fighters should fight. If you want to run fights down, that's fine. That's your right. But turn them down in another organization. The UFC has every right to run its business however it wants to. Fighters are free to go elsewhere.
2/19/13 9:46 AM
letsgobois

I don't get why fighters that take short notice fights, and loose three in a row aren't granted one more chance because of the favor they did the UFC?(Ben Saunders)

2/19/13 9:46 AM
torquemada
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DeMarques Johnson probably thinks differently... Phone Post
2/19/13 9:57 AM
Barbalos

What about the guys who took fights on short notice and got cut for losing? Kind of a lose-lose situation for them, isn't it?
2/19/13 9:59 AM
DamnSevern
1198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

do you also use selective perception when trying to decipher Ed Soares comments about who Anderson wants to fight next?

2/19/13 10:00 AM
BJ bashed into McDs mincemeat
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is common knowledge.

People act like the UFC has to be a humanitarian non profit organization.

They make money , they do what they want within the confines of the laws and the athletic commission. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:03 AM
BrattMamley
1071 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

torquemada -  DeMarques Johnson probably thinks differently... Phone Post

Agreed but he lost his last 3 fights and 4 out of his last 5. UFC has shown that if you get cut, and then win a couple fights outside of the UFC, they'll bring you right back (Jorge Santiago). I'm hoping to see DeMarques back in the UFC for sure.

2/19/13 10:05 AM
BrattMamley
1071 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2/19/13 10:13 AM
CauliflowerCouture

Didnt seem to hurt Bones Jones career after turning down Joel Silva.

Went from a tough match up against a game Dan Henderson, to two fights in a row against guys who fight in a lower weight division to him - Vitor and Chael...?
2/19/13 10:15 AM
GarlicSauce

Edited: 02/19/13 10:16 AM
Creating a little tyrant here, I see.

Alright King Dana, your Vizier shall be obeyed blindly, lest fighters get punished. If that means taking dangerous, lose/lose, short-notice fights so your bottom line wouldn't suffer, so be it.

You can't help but feel more respect for Jon Jones and Greg Jackson for turning down this bullshit in UFC 151. Too bad most fighters can't do this.
2/19/13 10:19 AM
BigWilliam
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't see any problem with what Dana was saying. If they call you and offer a fight and you don't take it why should they call a second time? Granted, asking someone to take a fight on two weeks or less notice should be taken into consideration. But a month out? Two months out? Take the fight or get into a new profession.
2/19/13 10:20 AM
epwar
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Yup.  Pretty sad that Dana revealed how unprofessional their matchmaker is and that he acts like a petulant child if you don't do what he wants.

2/19/13 10:26 AM
Hikikomori
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's about time Dana made public what has been a rumor all along and that is Joe Silva isn't a nice person.

Rampage and Antonio McKee said this long ago. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:37 AM
Whambo
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad they do this, in boxing it's too easy to avoid fights.

Joe is managing a ton of fighters and fights, getting the right guys in the rankings to fight someone that makes sense, changing fights for injuries suspensions etc. It'd be fucking chaos if he didn't cut that shit out where fighters/camps demand they fight guys that are good match ups for their fighters. AS gets away with it because he's AS and look how much shit that causes.
2/19/13 10:47 AM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is how a job works.
2/19/13 10:51 AM
Kirik
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

In no other major sport, with the muddied exception of boxing, can a figure or a team turn down a contest.

2/19/13 10:52 AM
superlurker2011
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hikikomori -  It's about time Dana made public what has been a rumor all along and that is Joe Silva isn't a nice person.

Rampage and Antonio McKee said this long ago. Phone Post

I've met Joe, he's a nice guy. But, I'm also not one of his employees so it's probably a different story for them. I can totally understand if he is a dick.

First off, he deals with fighters. If you're a fighter, who is employed by a company that paid you to fight..... Then you should HAVE to fight anyone they tell you to fight, given reasonable notice.

Secondly, I'm sure he has to deal with tons of drama. There are so many millionaire divas in the ufc. He has to talk to the fighter, their manager, and I'm sure in some case lawyers. As we saw with the Machida case, how pissed would you get if you asked the guy to fight and he says no unless he gets paid more? If my boss says I have to do my job tomorrow and I said not unless I get paid more, I would be fired (or cut in their case).

And I've honestly never seen a case where Joe Silva tried to get a guy to take an insane fight that isn't in his interest. Plus, I can almost guarantee they get a nice check or car waiting for them when they step up and help the company.
2/19/13 10:55 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

DamnSevern -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

do you also use selective perception when trying to decipher Ed Soares comments about who Anderson wants to fight next?

Dana: you fight who Joe tells you to fight or else

That fits right in line with all of eds comments. :-)
Ed says his opinions on who they prefer, but hey always fight who zuffa tells them to fight. Phone Post
2/19/13 10:59 AM
BigWilliam
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ed would be doing himself and his client a HUGE favor by not expressing that in public. In particular if he knows Joe Silva is not listening. All it does it make it look like AS is ducking people.
2/19/13 11:02 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

BigWilliam - Ed would be doing himself and his client a HUGE favor by not expressing that in public. In particular if he knows Joe Silva is not listening. All it does it make it look like AS is ducking people.
Yes, Ed should refuse to answer questions to cater to the mental midgets that cannot comprehend opinions based on $$$ and draw... Phone Post
2/19/13 11:04 AM
Tolstolobic

GarlicSauce - Creating a little tyrant here, I see.

Alright King Dana, your Vizier shall be obeyed blindly, lest fighters get punished. If that means taking dangerous, lose/lose, short-notice fights so your bottom line wouldn't suffer, so be it.

You can't help but feel more respect for Jon Jones and Greg Jackson for turning down this bullshit in UFC 151. Too bad most fighters can't do this.
I like this post Phone Post
2/19/13 11:11 AM
ender852
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barbalos - What about the guys who took fights on short notice and got cut for losing? Kind of a lose-lose situation for them, isn't it?
I thought if guys take short notice fights for them they guarantee that they will get at least one more fight if they lose.
Pretty sure I have heard this more than once. Phone Post
2/19/13 11:12 AM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

silva is just a soldier following orders...and now, a scapegoat...

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.