UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Training through minor injuries. (sprained wrist)

2/19/13 3:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Shinsplint
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Working ground and pound in mma class I missed the bag and punched the ground quite hard. Wrist is sore, I can't post on it
but i can still grip if I keep it straight. I know it's probably safer to rest it for a week but I have a hard time staying away from the gym.

That said, I was wondering what other peoples opinions were on the matter of training through minor injuries? I have done it a few times, and it is interesting to see how your BJJ changes to compensate for useless digits or a bad shoulder/rib etc. I think it can help you examine your game and force you to be creative with your practice. At the same time I know I have picked up some bad habits also, such as turning away from my opponent when stuck bottom/side when I had a shoulder injury for example.

I know people are hardly ever physically 100% during regular training and we all do this to a degree, but do you think it is still productive? Is it of benefit to your game to learn to grapple with these handicaps?

I'm still not sure if I'll make it to class tonight but I thought it was an interesting question to pose to the more experienced folks here.

Thanks.
2/19/13 3:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JRockwell
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sprained my wrist two weeks ago, taping it heavily before every session now. If I ever get sponsored, it's going to be by Johnson and Johnson, that's how much tape I use, between my wrists and fingers. Some injuries you need to take time off for sure...but some you just need to grind through. Only so many days and years, gotta use every one you can! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.