UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Trying Velocity Diet AMA

2/19/13 5:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pikes
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 weeks of mostly protein shakes, flax seed, fish oil, and greens supplement. More info at tnation for those who don't know what it is.

Update: Quit after 10 hours, fuck not eating real food for 4 weeks. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:00 PM
Pikes
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30 Phone Post
2/19/13 6:25 PM
sczott52
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gonna go out on a limb and say the supplement companies might be behind this one.

2/19/13 6:32 PM
Pikes

sczott52 -

I gonna go out on a limb and say the supplement companies might be behind this one.

Yeah, the guy who wrote the program pushes Biotest supps hard for it, and Biotest owns t-nation.

But if you look at what it entails, you can figure out what products you need to buy. Casein, Whey, fish oil, etc. I didn't give up just because I was hungry, I just went a good 24 hours without real food and was getting foggy and dizzy. It's worked for some people. Phone Post
2/19/13 6:52 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lmfao @ following a diet from a website that tells you to eat nothing but the supplements that the same website sells.
2/19/13 6:54 PM
dizz
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lololololol @ your update
2/19/13 7:08 PM
Pikes

turducken - lmfao @ following a diet from a website that tells you to eat nothing but the supplements that the same website sells.
It was a weak moment, I admit. I just happened to already have similar supplements to what is called for in the diet and thought I'd give crash dieting a shot.

After 3 casein/whey shakes and my oximega greens supplement throughout the day, 5pm came and it was unbearable. At about 6pm yesterday I had some chicken and broccoli with olive oil.

23 hours was more than enough time for me without solid food. Mauled some chicken and brown rice and felt like a million bucks after. Phone Post
2/20/13 6:02 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah...I agree that the V-diet is just a way to talk people into living on supplements. Not saying it would not work, just that there are better (read cheaper, tastier, and more fun) ways to do it.

TAKU

2/20/13 9:12 PM
WaltJ
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Imagine what color your piss would be after 4 weeks of nothing but chemicals.

Chernobyl-green, me thinks.
2/21/13 3:59 AM
Leigh
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will feel funny because there are no carbs and you are going into ketosis. That's normal and you get used to it.

However, you can do the same thing with real food - eat protein, vegetables and healthy fats. Limit/eliminate your starches.

I'm guessing your goal is weight loss cos that velocity diet looks horrendous for putting on muscle
2/21/13 8:23 AM
Pikes

Leigh - You will feel funny because there are no carbs and you are going into ketosis. That's normal and you get used to it.

However, you can do the same thing with real food - eat protein, vegetables and healthy fats. Limit/eliminate your starches.

I'm guessing your goal is weight loss cos that velocity diet looks horrendous for putting on muscle

One of the points in the article is that you won't go into ketosis

From the article:

"On the Velocity Diet, a guy who weighs 190 pounds is going to eat 1,485 calories on non-workout days, and 1,815 calories on workout days. And a woman weighing 150 pounds is going to eat 1,380 on non-workout days, and 1,710 calories on workout days.

The Velocity Diet is not a "protein-sparing modified fast," either. A dieter on a PSMF eats few, if any, carbohydrates, and has to deal with the ups and downs of mind-blurring ketosis.

In contrast, the carbohydrate content of the Velocity Diet ranges between 15 and 25 percent of total calories. A V-Dieter never gets close to ketosis."

I hadn't had much in the way of carbs in that 24 hours so that could still explain my experience that day, but that is not something I want anything to do with.

Another sticking point is that you're supposed to maintain, "if not build" more muscle while doing this diet. I would be getting 225g of protein daily (at 185 pounds). Obviously protein by itself isn't going to build muscle and with a low intake of carbs (about 60g?) I guess I could only hope to be able to maintain some of it.

I'll be sticking to real food.
2/21/13 8:30 AM
Leigh
721 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where in your supplement list do the carbs come from? Phone Post
2/21/13 10:33 AM
Pikes

Leigh - Where in your supplement list do the carbs come from? Phone Post
Well if you take the recommended Metabolic low-carb protein for the diet, it has 4g of carbs per scoop. You do two scoops 5 times a day, that accounts for 40. The rest I'd guess comes from multiple servings of flax seed and whatever you get from the natural nut butter you get to put in the 5th shake.

I wonder how much I was getting from the casein/whey I was using? I'm not home to read the label but I'll have to look into it. Phone Post
2/21/13 1:14 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've done the Velocity Diet before. It worked well. Just did to try it. It's more of a mind thing, thinking you need to chew something. But it's more to try and help you kick poor eating habits, because the one meal you eat a week is still a healthy meal. So it's not a "cheat" meal. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.