UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Diaz's petition for judicial review denied by cour

2/20/13 11:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

It is all over!

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight number one contender, Nick Diaz, fought the law -- and the law won. Specifically, Keith Kizer and the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), named as respondents in a lawsuit filed by Diaz in Clark County last April.

His grievance?

Diaz was suspended by the NSAC after testing positive for marijuana metabolites following his five round unanimous decision loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143, which was held on Feb. 4, 2012 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

The NSAC also claimed Diaz lied on his pre-fight questionnaire (click here to see a copy), by checking "no" on a box asking if he took or received any prescription medication two weeks prior to weighing in.

read entire article...

view rejection letter...

2/20/13 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
knoc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What does this all mean?!??!?!?!?!??! Phone Post
2/20/13 11:52 PM
Joe_Drogan420

Edited: 02/20/13 11:55 PM
"The NSAC also claimed Diaz lied on his pre-fight questionnaire (click here to see a copy), by checking "no" on a box asking if he took or received any prescription medication two weeks prior to weighing in."

The question reads: "Have you taken/received any prescribed medications in the past 2 weeks?"

I'm fairly sure that medicinal cannabis is recommended, not prescribed. And anyone who smokes cannabis medicinally is going to take longer than 2 weeks for thc to fully exit their system.
This sounds like nothing more than a kangaroo court.

And furthermore, if fighters are allowed to take TRT and testosterone to boost their performance why can't people take their doctor recommended medicine in all reasonable cases?
2/21/13 12:02 AM
smags
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
2/21/13 12:06 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess you could say I'm anti marijuana, regardless it is against the rules so I think Diaz deserves to be punished. But on the flip side it is pretty ridiculous how incredibly easy it is to a get a tue (even if you've failed a substance test previously) and it's impossible to get something like that for medical marijuana. Phone Post
2/21/13 1:55 AM
Carl Sonnen

What, did he think he was gonna fight the law and win? Not gonna happen. You can't one up an administrative panel like that and expect that to fly, regardless. Diaz needs to comply a little better and the athletic commissions need to clear up the issue and allow athletes like Diaz to have waivers just like they have for TRT. Also, it doesn't help that Diaz didn't fill the form out, as has been noted. I hope his fees weren't too high.
2/21/13 2:07 AM
UGCTT SidRival's Butler
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe_Drogan420 - "The NSAC also claimed Diaz lied on his pre-fight questionnaire (click here to see a copy), by checking "no" on a box asking if he took or received any prescription medication two weeks prior to weighing in."

The question reads: "Have you taken/received any prescribed medications in the past 2 weeks?"

I'm fairly sure that medicinal cannabis is recommended, not prescribed. And anyone who smokes cannabis medicinally is going to take longer than 2 weeks for thc to fully exit their system.

And furthermore, if fighters are allowed to take TRT and testosterone to boost their performance why can't people take their doctor recommended medicine in all reasonable cases?
Are there exemptions for anything that's not a prescription? Because if there aren't any existing exemptions for non-prescription drugs, why would there be for marijuana? Phone Post
2/21/13 2:33 AM
hogh20

pot head... he is lucky he isn't in jail.... not sure what I'm talking about....
2/21/13 3:19 AM
bruceleesspirit
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ProMMAnow.com, Editor
knoc -  What does this all mean?!??!?!?!?!??! Phone Post

an attorney breaks it all down here: http://prommanow.com/2013/02/20/nick-diazs-hope-for-judicial-review-of-marijuana-suspension-goes-up-in-smoke/

2/21/13 3:21 AM
bruceleesspirit
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ProMMAnow.com, Editor

Original earlier thread with court documents: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.frame&thread=2135889&page=1

2/21/13 7:45 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The law always wins. But in this case it was  warranted. Now i grant you that it is an absolutely silly law but Diaz fucked up by not signing his forms correctly hence he had to bleed dearly for it. Its was a shitty thing but he needs to move past it and get his ass in front of those prime time camera's. He needs to up the profile so that when he loses against GSP his brand does not fade away and he stays relevent.

2/21/13 1:23 PM
hogh20

Pork Sword - 
hogh20 - pot head... he is lucky he isn't in jail.... not sure what I'm talking about....

Ain't that the truth. Jail for weed? Come on dude. It's legal in some form or another in almost half the country...

Like I said, "not sure what I'm talking about" I was half drunk, half asleep. ignore that post.
2/21/13 1:34 PM
rrg1

Joe_Drogan420 - "The NSAC also claimed Diaz lied on his pre-fight questionnaire (click here to see a copy), by checking "no" on a box asking if he took or received any prescription medication two weeks prior to weighing in."

Negative.

It sounds like a guy who thought he had the system and timing figured out and got caught up by lying.

2/21/13 2:32 PM
Joe_Drogan420

it does sound like that, but steroid, excuse me TRT, users do the same exact thing and NSAC is perfectly cool with that.
So if you're allowed to take a literal PED in TRT, I don't understand how marijuana cannot also been used in the same manner?

It just seems hypocritical.
2/21/13 2:37 PM
rrg1

Joe_Drogan420 - it does sound like that, but steroid, excuse me TRT, users do the same exact thing and NSAC is perfectly cool with that.
So if you're allowed to take a literal PED in TRT, I don't understand how marijuana cannot also been used in the same manner?

It just seems hypocritical.

I'm not even going to try and argue that lol.

It is hypocritical.
2/21/13 2:47 PM
MountainMedic
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doubt he lied. Metabolites can take 2-6 weeks to clear. Its retarded because the rule is in place to assure he is not under the influence at fight time, to make sure he isn't benefiting from the anesthesia/pain lessening effects. BUT there is no reliable test for that. What they actually test for isn't even what gets you "high". Phone Post
2/21/13 3:28 PM
Ryan Black
438 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just wanna see him compete.

No more BS. Let's just see Nick fight, leave it all in there like he always does, and let's put this marijuana metabolites BS behind us already! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.