UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Starting your own BJJ Brand. Ask me anything.

5/31/13 11:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jorgee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CacaDeSinge - 
jorgee - Hey OTM

I´m interested in starting a BJJ brand in Peru . There´s not much around here in terms of BJJ products, or support for BJJ practitioners. The whole point of starting up this business would be to give back a % of sales to the BJJ comunity here(sponsorships, prize money at tournaments, etc). I´d love to see the sport grow in my country and start seeing some top peruvian fighters in BJJ and MMA.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction to find some good suppliers for rash guards, fight shorts, and gi´s.

Thanks,

Jorgee

Hola,

soy frances y vivi un par de anos en Peru.

Voy a regresar en julio con mi esposa y su hijo por un mes y medio, sabes adonde hay gyms de BJJ in Lima? Si hay cursos para ninos (tiene 13 anos)?

Hay competiciones en Lima en julio/agosto?

Cuidate!

Hola q tal?

te comento que sí hay varias academias de bjj por acá..todo depende de la zona donde vas a estar hospedado.
si te quedas por miraflores puedes entrenar donde entreno yo. Estamos afiliados a Game Fight, y en julio deberíamos tener de profe al cinturon negro Elton Santos (ahorita está enseñando Nilo Guerrero). También están en la zona el Sniper Gym, Guigo Jiu Jitsu y la academia Coyote.
si quieres avisame por donde vas a estar en julio y te recomiendo unas cuantas academias. Ojalá entrenemos juntos.

Saludos,

Jorgee
5/31/13 2:30 PM
CacaDeSinge

jorgee - 
CacaDeSinge - 
jorgee - Hey OTM

I´m interested in starting a BJJ brand in Peru . There´s not much around here in terms of BJJ products, or support for BJJ practitioners. The whole point of starting up this business would be to give back a % of sales to the BJJ comunity here(sponsorships, prize money at tournaments, etc). I´d love to see the sport grow in my country and start seeing some top peruvian fighters in BJJ and MMA.

Hopefully you can point me in the right direction to find some good suppliers for rash guards, fight shorts, and gi´s.

Thanks,

Jorgee

Hola,

soy frances y vivi un par de anos en Peru.

Voy a regresar en julio con mi esposa y su hijo por un mes y medio, sabes adonde hay gyms de BJJ in Lima? Si hay cursos para ninos (tiene 13 anos)?

Hay competiciones en Lima en julio/agosto?

Cuidate!

Hola q tal?

te comento que sí hay varias academias de bjj por acá..todo depende de la zona donde vas a estar hospedado.
si te quedas por miraflores puedes entrenar donde entreno yo. Estamos afiliados a Game Fight, y en julio deberíamos tener de profe al cinturon negro Elton Santos (ahorita está enseñando Nilo Guerrero). También están en la zona el Sniper Gym, Guigo Jiu Jitsu y la academia Coyote.
si quieres avisame por donde vas a estar en julio y te recomiendo unas cuantas academias. Ojalá entrenemos juntos.

Saludos,

Jorgee

OK, gracias!

te mando un mensage privado para no interferir con la discusion.
5/31/13 4:48 PM
Bruce Hoyer
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next questions. How girls fit in an FJ cruiser? Phone Post 3.0
6/1/13 12:39 PM
On the Mat
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
kying418 - 
On the Mat - 
kying418 - Scotty,

For the past few years, I thought it would be pretty cool to start a high end bjj belt company- with a price point around $60 or so.

It surprises me that people are willing to spend $$$ on gi's but don't give much thought about the quality of the belt they wear everyday.

I didnt have the resources or contacts to make this happen, but it looks like Eosin Panther and Kataaro have begun to make custom made BJJ belts (that are awesome- I have one).

I guess its pretty late in the game to start one up- but what do you think of the idea?

I still think there is a potential market for it, as 99% of bjj practioners don't know Eosin and Kataaro even exist.

I'm doing some new high end belts too. The lucky gi belts are pretty nice but im working on a cool hemp one.

I dont think you will get rich or make a ton of cash selling belts. most people will only spend a lot of $ on their higher belt colors. a lot of black belts ask for free belts all the time. like someone sees a black belt in a brand of belt and runs out an buys a belt?

so if you are passionate about making the best belt ever, Do it. if you are doing it to make a little extra money and dont mind the headaches of manufacturing then do it.

But think about this. No matter what you manufacture to sell you will have to brand it. If its a Yaris or a Mercedes you have to spend time and energy branding. So why limit a brand to just one product.

Also advertising costs are the same if you just sell belts or you sell a bunch of products. SO even if you start with belts keep in mind you will most likely want to add products down the road.

i never thought i'd make lucky Rash guards or shorts but people been asking for them so now we are.

Scotty,

Thanks so much for the response.

I thought about making these high end belts because at the time, I wasn't aware of any nice belts for the other ranks (other than black belt).

Now that Kataaro and Eosin Panter make such amazing BJJ belts for all ranks, I no longer have the passion/need to seek an alternative.

Best of luck with your high end belts- I will definitely be keeping an eye out for them! (Do you know when they might appear on the market?)

Well dont give up if its really what you want to do. A little competition is good. Keeps ya working. Maybe your idea could be the one that changes the whole market. :)
6/1/13 12:42 PM
On the Mat
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Owner, On the Mat
athsportsnutrition - 
On the Mat - 
athsportsnutrition - 

How did you guys go about getting your initial customer base (say your first 1,000 customers)?

I went to every tournament & MMA event there was but there were not that many back in the 90s. And, Gumby and i made the first BJJ Magazine dvds. i tried to copy skateboading videos. people used to mail us checks cause there was not credit card processing online for small sites and paypal didnt exist.

Did you guys hand out flyers? Did you have to pay for booths etc.? 

Thanks for the response.

What gumby said!! :) But if you are doing it now. I would do both. Do all the marketing you can. But try to not loose money on booths. If you cant break even, dont do it. A lot of people charge way too much for booths now and they over value the exposure you are getting. I see a lot of people get in to the business and blow their wads on booths and sponsorships only to be gone in no time.
6/1/13 12:43 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Bruce Hoyer - Next questions. How girls fit in an FJ cruiser? Phone Post 3.0

4 if they are skinnies. but hard to hit even one in that thing. She has to be short. LOL for your tall ass it would be impossible
6/1/13 2:32 PM
MVSTERCHIEF

Late but do you know anything about this new Internet sales tax? I was confused about thevtax and shipping part about starting a Co but now this new tax bill is making me more paranoid...any advice on this? Phone Post 3.0
6/9/13 11:57 AM
sharkroll
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could you give some insight on how sponsorships work? Amount of product, $ ....
Thank you
6/10/13 9:47 AM
MMAHistoryProject
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What happened to your rank database?  That was an invaluable resource.

6/10/13 3:27 PM
Ceelo
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you hook me up with a good GI manufacturer?

6/11/13 12:35 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
MVSTERCHIEF - Late but do you know anything about this new Internet sales tax? I was confused about thevtax and shipping part about starting a Co but now this new tax bill is making me more paranoid...any advice on this? Phone Post 3.0

I dont know to much but at some point every state I think will make us collect tax for them. Its going to be a nightmare. Or i also heard mabye a flat internet tax. IDK? lame
6/11/13 12:36 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
sharkroll - Could you give some insight on how sponsorships work? Amount of product, $ ....
Thank you

This is a long one. Ill write something up later. Tired from training tonight.
6/11/13 12:36 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
MMAHistoryProject - 

What happened to your rank database?  That was an invaluable resource.

We were rebuilding it in PHP to make it more dynamic and ran out of money. I think gumby is working on putting up the HTML again.
6/11/13 12:38 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
Ceelo - 

Can you hook me up with a good GI manufacturer?

BJJ Gi Manufacture or wholesale bjj gis

6/11/13 12:56 AM
jleung

Scotty,

What are the main differences between Pakistani suppliers vs Chinese suppliers?

Is it mainly price? I've noticed that Pakistani suppliers seems to offer gis for a few bucks cheaper than the Chinese suppliers.

Have you noticed any quality difference?

Difference in customer service?

Difference in delivering orders on time?

Thanks a lot for dropping so much knowledge on us new guys!
6/11/13 1:08 AM
philodox
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For later Phone Post
6/11/13 1:15 AM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
jleung - Scotty,

What are the main differences between Pakistani suppliers vs Chinese suppliers?

Is it mainly price? I've noticed that Pakistani suppliers seems to offer gis for a few bucks cheaper than the Chinese suppliers.

Have you noticed any quality difference?

Difference in customer service?

Difference in delivering orders on time?

Thanks a lot for dropping so much knowledge on us new guys!

There is a big difference.

China is more expensive to make gis but cheaper to ship.

Quality of Chinese sewing and embroidering is better. Quality of fabric from Pakistan is better. China buys a lot of cotton from pakistan.

Customer service is give and take. I find that Pakistan is more willing to fix shit when they fuck up. China they fuck up you eat it. Like when china messed up my first bamboo lucky gi pants. they told me to eat i on 1500 pairs. if it was pakistan they would have worked something out to remake them.

However pakistan is full of scams right now. i cant tell you how many people i heard of that got ripped off ordering from pakistan. often your first order is good. so you put in a big second one and then you get burnt.

pakistan takes 5 to 6 weeks to ship then you got to get them out of customs. this sucks cause pakistan is on the terrorist list so they hold it and double tripple check it.

hope that helps.
6/11/13 1:37 AM
jleung

Edited: 06/11/13 1:40 AM
Great stuff Scotty.

I've noticed a lot of the same stuff you mentioned about better fabric in Pakistan and better stitching/embroidery in China.

I just got a small batch from Pakistan and the dye form the drawstrings bled into the white pants. Hopefully I can work with the factory to get this fixed somehow.

I think I'm going to stick with China for the time being since I've had only good experiences so far. ::knock on wood::

One last follow up question:

If you were starting a new brand today, would you start selling direct to to customer, to individual schools, or target distributors?

If you were to do a combination between all of those channels, how would you rank each channel in terms of effectiveness in increasing revenue?
6/12/13 9:44 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
jleung - Great stuff Scotty.

I've noticed a lot of the same stuff you mentioned about better fabric in Pakistan and better stitching/embroidery in China.

I just got a small batch from Pakistan and the dye form the drawstrings bled into the white pants. Hopefully I can work with the factory to get this fixed somehow.

I think I'm going to stick with China for the time being since I've had only good experiences so far. ::knock on wood::

If you were starting a new brand today, would you start selling direct to to customer, to individual schools, or target distributors?

If you were to do a combination between all of those channels, how would you rank each channel in terms of effectiveness in increasing revenue?

The dye form the drawstrings bled into the white pants is from them cheating you and not setting the dye before they use the fabric. Pakistan does this a lot. Save .02 and screw you. Tell them you are not paying for the pants. thats what i do.

You could have the same problem in china. In china more than pakistan you need an agent. someone on your side. they will go and check on your product make sure you are getting what you ordered. China will cheat you every way you let them. so keep an eye on them.

If i was starting a brand today I would focus on direct to customers. Get booth and be at events where people can touch and try on your stuff. You will get full retail this way for your gis. this will help keep you in business. if you start wholesaling to schools and distributers then you are taking a big cut from your margin. you need that margin to keep it going.

also when you use a distributer you loose a bit of control. it is important to not be a new brand that starts discounting. if your brand gets known as a discount brand you will never get away from it. if you discount just to move product you are basicly telling people my shit dont sell. i gotta make it cheap to create demand. or in other words no one wants it.

You dont see gucci discounting on brand new products. ;)

So the problem with distributors is they might not be happy with the speed your brand is moving and discount it just to move it. Its better to take product back from distributors and give them credit than to let them blow out your prodcuts.

Every time is see a new brand come out and they start out discounting I know they are already on thier way out. And, when i see them start out on one of the BJJ discount sale of the day type sites i really know they dont know what they are doing.

if you are building a brand you cant think about it as moving product in the short term. You have to think about what are people going to think about my brand in 5 years, 10 years and on.

Unless you are buying 1000s of gis at a time I would stay out of the mass selling to schools. its low margin very competitive and you need a team to be sucessful.
6/12/13 9:45 PM
On the Mat

Owner, On the Mat
jleung - Great stuff Scotty.

oh one more thing. tell them to use polly based draw stings and to sublimate and not dye cotton. that way the dye will never transfer. BOOM! thats a $1000 tip lol
6/13/13 2:05 AM
jleung

LOL, wish I knew about the sublimated poly drawstrings sooner. Hopefully someone else can use that piece of information and save themselves an expensive mistake.
6/14/13 11:17 PM
Malachy Friedman
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for me
6/15/13 12:11 AM
Jiu Jitsu Panda
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff
6/15/13 1:00 AM
JoeHurley
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
6/16/13 10:56 PM
FaceToFace
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.