UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fitch cut: Are you not entertained?

2/21/13 7:59 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Are you not entertained? Shock as Fitch heads list of UFC roster cuts

Who’d be a fighter?

All the pain and sacrifice, the hours spent pushing your body to the very limit, the continual nag of self-doubt asking if you’re doing enough to get where you want to be.

Where do you want to be?

You want to be in the spotlight. The big show. You want to be on that pedestal, recognised as the most supreme fighter that walks this very earth.

You also want money. Lots of money. This isn’t a cosy office job we’re talking about here. There’s no guaranteed paycheck every month. You step into a cage and you fight for every single cent that’s coming your way.

You want to pay the rent? Fight for it.

You want to pay medical bills? Fight for it.

You want to put your kids through college? Fight for it.

You chose this path. Or maybe fate chose it for you. Maybe fighting for money is the only thing you’re good at. Maybe it’s the single best chance you have of building the life you want for you and your loved ones.

You know the risks. You know that one mistake could put your entire career in jeopardy. One tired, dropped glove could let in a knockout blow. One slip on your own blood could leave you on the verge of tapping out.

You can’t afford to make a mistake.

You can’t afford to be anything less than the most perfect version of yourself when you step into that cage and fight for your future.

So you keep pushing. Three sessions a day.  Day in, day out you hone your craft - trying to find that marginal gain that will give you the advantage on fight night.

You may even look in places you shouldn’t for that marginal gain. You hear on the grapevine that your opponent is training hard. They’re in great shape. But you’re tired. So tired. There’s this thing someone’s taking that gives them this little extra edge. Their doctor prescribed it. You should at least think about it.

Whether you succumb to temptation or not, you WILL abuse your body. You ignore the constant dull ache of your muscles, the thudding pain in your joints, the plea for some momentary respite. You starve your body of nutrition; drain it of every little drop of moisture to make sure the scales show in your favour.

You want this.

And when the cage door closes, and the fight begins you will do anything, anything to make sure that the man or woman in front of you doesn’t get in the way of your dreams.

You block out the noise of the crowd and you focus. Time slows down. Fractions of a second seem like hours. You see everything: every twitch, every flicker of movement. You wait for your opportunity - and you take it.

You leave nothing to chance. You want it to be over quickly. But if it’s not, you keep going. You will not let them breathe. You will suffocate them, grind them into the dirt for fifteen long minutes if you have to.

You want this.

You want to get your hand raised. You want to be a winner, because every win brings you closer to the spotlight.

Or does it?

Today the UFC announced some sixteen fighters were released from the roster. At first glance there few surprises. It was the usual mixture of young hopefuls who failed their first attempt at glory, and older veterans whose best days may be behind them.

Then there was Jon Fitch. With a record of 14-3-1 on octagon duty his name didn’t sit easily in either camp. In 2008 Fitch stood head and shoulders above his peers as the outstanding contender to welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. Though unsuccessful, his subsequent record of 6-2-1 didn’t suggest a career in terminal decline.

Admittedly he’d just come off a three-round asphyxiation at the hands of Demian Maia. Yet in his previous outing, Fitch had returned from a long lay-off to deliver a career-best performance against Erick Silva. Afterwards, Fitch admitted candidly that the $70,000 bonus check he received that night helped to keep the financial wolves at bay.

So why release a man ranked ninth in the official UFC rankings?

With no official word from the UFC at the time of writing, the common consensus is that Fitch paid the price for a fighting style that didn’t make great television. His relentless grappling rarely moved people closer to the edges of their seats.

But Jon Fitch did what he had to do. He wasn’t blessed with the grace and poise of Anderson Silva, or the speed and power of Jose Aldo. He suffocated and smothered his opponents; he ground them into the dirt.

He wanted this.

He found a way to pay the bills. He found a way to win ugly.

Perhaps his release tells us that winning is no longer enough. Perhaps entertainment is the primary goal of anyone seeking a future in prizefighting.

Should we be entirely comfortable with that? Judging by the avalanche of angry responses to Fitch’s release on Twitter yesterday, many fans find this difficult to accept.

Welcome to the harsh reality of the fight business.

Away from the spotlight, this is still a dark trade.

Follow UnderGround Blogger Ralph Welch on Twitter

2/21/13 8:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vincan469
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well his release tells us that the rankings mean shit. logic would tell you that a top 10 would never be cut.
thegreenroom
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm bummed about this. While he may not be overwhelmingly entertaining to watch, you can tell he has more heart than most and wants it bad.

Erik silva vs Fitch was an incredible fight to watch. Phone Post
UncleDavid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cry me a river guys... You are acting like Fitch got murdered or something. He just got cut from the ufc. Thats not the end of anyone's life. Get over it already!

The Ufc is a business that makes business decisions. We don't know about 3/4 of the stuff that happens behind closed doors.
UncleDavid

Edited: 02/21/13 8:08 AM
fucking double post
2/21/13 8:22 AM
DWTF
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's agreed that MMA is now getting a much better spotlight than say even 5 years ago, and this is good.

What is entertaining to me may be boring and uninteresting to another person. The fans are the ones who decide if they got their monies worth and whether to watch next time.

The forums on this website alone should tell you that Jon Fitch is still entertaining fans.

NASCAR is America's #1 watched sport, above football. Do they cut drivers who aren't exciting? Never, they keep are large pack of top tier drivers who are competing and adding to the competition that can prove fun to watch.

The Jon Fitch cut is intolerable by anyone who is a fan of MMA, not knockouts. The more I think about it, Dana White probably had the final word, but for some reason I don't think he had a choice. He built this company, and now he is losing control of his hierarchy and its going to hurt the brand we all love(d).
2/21/13 8:25 AM
dawley
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DWTF - It's agreed that MMA is now getting a much better spotlight than say even 5 years ago, and this is good.

What is entertaining to me may be boring and uninteresting to another person. The fans are the ones who decide if they got their monies worth and whether to watch next time.

The forums on this website alone should tell you that Jon Fitch is still entertaining fans.

NASCAR is America's #1 watched sport, above football. Do they cut drivers who aren't exciting? Never, they keep are large pack of top tier drivers who are competing and adding to the competition that can prove fun to watch.

The Jon Fitch cut is intolerable by anyone who is a fan of MMA, not knockouts. The more I think about it, Dana White probably had the final word, but for some reason I don't think he had a choice. He built this company, and now he is losing control of his hierarchy and its going to hurt the brand we all love(d).
Well this is honestly pretty well put Phone Post
2/21/13 8:38 AM
3rdLion
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thegreenroom -  I'm bummed about this. While he may not be overwhelmingly entertaining to watch, you can tell he has more heart than most and wants it bad.

Erik silva vs Fitch was an incredible fight to watch. Phone Post

fuck you goof - dfw
2/21/13 8:49 AM
lordbreakdown
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are what your record says you are.

-Bill Parcells

Fitch is a winner. They should have done a better job at embracing and finding a way to market his style. Bad on them for not finding a way to market it. How many 1 and done guys have been marketed/blow up, then dropped for losing? Phone Post
2/21/13 8:54 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a melodramatically written article. Phone Post
2/21/13 9:03 AM
TheBeebs
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - What a melodramatically written article. Phone Post
I think that's what he was going for. Phone Post
2/21/13 9:08 AM
Aaron Becker

UncleDavid - Cry me a river guys... You are acting like Fitch got murdered or something. He just got cut from the ufc. Thats not the end of anyone's life. Get over it already!

The Ufc is a business that makes business decisions. We don't know about 3/4 of the stuff that happens behind closed doors.

you're a scum bag
2/21/13 9:11 AM
Letibleu
1479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DWTF - It's agreed that MMA is now getting a much better spotlight than say even 5 years ago, and this is good.

Great, we are comparing MMA to NASCAR.

I am grateful for the Fitch release because I couldn't take any more Honda posts. The glass is always half full.

Seriously though, I have withheld factual criticism until I hear the reasoning  behind the decision.

Up until the Silva fight, fans loathed Fitch fights. He is 5 years without a finish, is 1-2-1 in the past 2.5 years and he constantly laments about money. 

I am sure something happened behind the scenes and his cut was not based solely on performance.

NASCAR may not cut drivers that are not exciting, but they do cut players that are not team players. In a heartbeat.

If you have a sandy vagina over the Fitch cut, wait for the 157 post fight presser, more light will surely be shed. I am not saying we will all agree with the explanation, but it will surely make more sense than what we know now.

2/21/13 9:11 AM
quality

Fitch had been trying the last couple of fights to be a more exciting fighter. I think the UFC made a big mistake by cutting him. He's a great fighter and deserves to be there with the rest of the big boys.

Unfortunately his past came back to haunt him. If he wasn't the lay and pray guy for so long this wouldn't have happened.
2/21/13 9:40 AM
UGCTT_SidRival
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was my boy during the Fitch/Maia fight and we were there live! Lol. It was definitely more that he started drinking at breakfast than it was the fight, but the ironing was perfect.

Phone Post
2/21/13 9:44 AM
Letibleu
1479 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_SidRival -  This was my boy during the Fitch/Maia fight and we were there live! Lol. It was definitely more that he started drinking at breakfast than it was the fight, but the ironing was perfect.

Phone Post

2/21/13 9:50 AM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Letibleu -
DWTF - It's agreed that MMA is now getting a much better spotlight than say even 5 years ago, and this is good.

Great, we are comparing MMA to NASCAR.

I am grateful for the Fitch release because I couldn't take any more Honda posts. The glass is always half full.

Seriously though, I have withheld factual criticism until I hear the reasoning  behind the decision.

Up until the Silva fight, fans loathed Fitch fights. He is 5 years without a finish, is 1-2-1 in the past 2.5 years and he constantly laments about money. 

I am sure something happened behind the scenes and his cut was not based solely on performance.

NASCAR may not cut drivers that are not exciting, but they do cut players that are not team players. In a heartbeat.

If you have a sandy vagina over the Fitch cut, wait for the 157 post fight presser, more light will surely be shed. I am not saying we will all agree with the explanation, but it will surely make more sense than what we know now.

I agree. Mma fans are impossible to please and they have zero short and long term memories. 2 years ago everyone was calling for him to be put on undercards or to be cut because he was soooo boring. Now he had one exciting fight and 2 losses and everyone is butt hurt that he got cut.

Another example is Ben Askren. Everyone bitches about how boring he is and how he could never compete in the UFC. Then he has 1 finish and he's the second coming of Christ. People on here even were saying he'd beat Anderson Silva. I'm dead serious. Phone Post
2/21/13 9:58 AM
StrikeAnywhere
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lordbreakdown -  You are what your record says you are.

-Bill Parcells

Fitch is a winner. They should have done a better job at embracing and finding a way to market his style. Bad on them for not finding a way to market it. How many 1 and done guys have been marketed/blow up, then dropped for losing? Phone Post

He has a boring style and a dull personality....I can't exactly lay blame on UFC's marketing team for not being able to get fans excited about him.
2/21/13 10:02 AM
J_Swift

Letibleu -
UGCTT_SidRival -  This was my boy during the Fitch/Maia fight and we were there live! Lol. It was definitely more that he started drinking at breakfast than it was the fight, but the ironing was perfect.

Phone Post

LOL, that was my first thought too Phone Post
2/21/13 10:05 AM
Kimbos Lice
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://miscupload.com/upload/685560102736380072369708.gif

Blue name please! Phone Post
2/21/13 10:10 AM
buckshot44
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kimbos Lice -  http://miscupload.com/upload/685560102736380072369708.gif

Blue name please! Phone Post

2/21/13 10:17 AM
armbarheelhook
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the UFC implemented PRIDE FC rules in the cage, i wonder how many fighters would get cut based on "not being entertained" or "lay and pray"..?

Yellow cards in place if fighter is stalling. foot stomps and knees allowed on ground. Who knows how many stoppages fitch might have had? Phone Post
2/21/13 10:17 AM
Jill Laz

UncleDavid - Cry me a river guys... You are acting like Fitch got murdered or something. He just got cut from the ufc. Thats not the end of anyone's life. Get over it already!

I agree however, I don't want to see guys dancing there way into the arena just to keep there jobs and if this is to be looked at as a true sport to be respected usually that means your win loss record.. UFC has to be careful not to turn back the clock and become a goofy dance fest and put entertainment above what makes MMA great...skills (not just boxing or g/p but a combo of skills) Phone Post
2/21/13 10:22 AM
Humphrey

Ahh the UFC. Where talent, skill, results and ability mean nothing.

If you sell seats you have a job. If you don't, you're done.

Welcome to the Bubble Gum UFC folks!
2/21/13 10:24 AM
TightTriangle
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Broke Fitch is about to get even broker Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.