UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Jazz Documentaries

2/21/13 10:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys, I found some jazz documentaries while I was bored searching around on YouTube. I'm not sure how good these are, but they're probably worth checking out. Here's one on Blue Note records.
2/21/13 10:57 AM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A doc on Bill Evans.

2/21/13 10:57 AM
hugomma

Dexter Gordon.

2/21/13 10:58 AM
hugomma

Edited: 02/21/13 10:58 AM

The entire Monk "Straight No Chaser" doc.

2/21/13 10:59 AM
hugomma

Maceo Parker.

2/21/13 11:00 AM
hugomma

Last one for now: "The Genius of Django".

2/22/13 7:34 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/22/13 8:59 PM
I started at the back... Django documentary is good to see. I saw a similar one on Stephane Grapelli. That one had the full clip of that living-room movie scene with Django playing guitar on the couch. I wish this one had the full clip -- it has the best close-up of him shredding I've ever seen. First time I was convinced he really did just use two fingers on the left hand!

I'll see if I can find that to add, later. Still, just a moment. The documentary is really interesting. Django really did come up with something very new, and is still pretty much unmatched at what he did.

I like some of the more modern guys anyway, only because I get worn out on that whole two-beat rhythm thing in all of the trad manouche uptempo stuff. Still, in the right doses, it's amazing music.
2/22/13 9:04 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/23/13 1:55 AM
That Bill Evans... whoa. It's really an instructional. Ok, it's not really specific enough to be an instructional, I take it back. But it shows an approach towards music and practice. And it's rather Buddhistic, like Kenny Werner's instructionals.
Great stuff from Steve Allen in the middle of it. They had like 3 channels on TV back then... but clearly quality was better!

I love Bill Evans. Confirmed fan. And I had no idea that film existed.

The Monk movie I've seen many times. It's good -- Monk is nowhere near at the height of his powers at the time of the tour that's documented, and he's still great. It's an interesting portrait of the man, too, and how he forged ahead in spite of various dysfunctions (like all of us, I guess). Some of that is having a reliable wife...

I love the moment with the interviewer who asks what types of music Monk likes, and Monk says "all kinds". Then can't fucking BELIEVE the guy says, "Country Music?".... cracks me up.
2/25/13 1:23 AM
hugomma

Edited: 02/25/13 11:21 AM

Just watched the 1st 15 mins of Bill talking to his brother Harry. Interesting take on jazz as being the revival of classical improve. Interesting that he saw jazz not so much as a style but the process of 'making spontaneous creative music' of the moment over a certain period of time.

When he jumps on the piano at 13:00 plays those variations of "I Like New York"...it's better something simple that is real...because you know what you're doing".

2/27/13 4:17 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is great, thanks for putting all these together!
2/27/13 4:20 PM
hugomma

DasBeaver - This is great, thanks for putting all these together!

Anytime my friend . Glad you're enjoying it.

2/27/13 4:20 PM
hugomma

DasBeaver - This is great, thanks for putting all these together!

Anytime my friend . Glad you're enjoying it.

3/9/13 7:12 PM
A_Butler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
3/9/13 10:58 PM
Ali

Edited: 03/09/13 11:01 PM
Here's the (evidently only full length) documentary about the greatest pianist in jazz history, Art Tatum. To add to your queue. Opening scene lets us know something I didn't -- Tatum is responsible for the fact that Les Paul became a guitarist:

And for those who don't want to commmit to an hour documentary, but want to check out Tatum for a tune... here's a 1934 of Tatum playing an original, "The Shout":

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.