UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dana White: Urijah Faber's job on the line at UFC

2/21/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
xsrg95
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yesterday, UFC president Dana White confirmed with MMAFighting, that 16 UFC fighters were released from the organization. Shockingly, the list included UFC welterweight contender Jon Fitch.

According to MMAJunkie, UFC officials plan on releasing more than 100 fighters in the upcoming months due to the recent signing of Strikeforce fighters, and the addition of the women's bantamweight division.

Today, following the UFC 157 pre-fight press conference, White revealed that the UFC does in fact plan on releasing 100 fighters before the end of the year. White also mentioned that Fitch's surprising dismissal was mostly salary related.

With the UFC's goal to eliminate 100 fighters from its roster, no one is safe, including former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber, who White admitted could be cut from the organization with a loss at UFC 157.

Check out some tweets from today's media scrum for UFC 157:

2/21/13 10:37 PM
shaqitup
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't even know the 100 people getting cut was true, thought that's why Calo got bant?

2/21/13 10:38 PM
xsrg95
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Dana-White-Urijah-Fabers-job-on-the-line-at-UFC-157-Fitch-cut-due-to-high-salary.html

2/21/13 10:42 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been trying to see more on that Faber comment but haven't seen it from the big guns reporter. Phone Post
2/21/13 10:43 PM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - The number 3 guy in the fuckin world? What in the fuckin fuck is this shit.

All about the dollard, dollard, bills y'all. Has nothing to do with wins, losses, or decisions. Nothing.

2/21/13 10:49 PM
VincentKennedyMcmahon

Although Faber is a draw he has literally 0% chance of ever holding a title in the UFC especially in the 135 division..

Maybe at 145 if Aldo moves up but then he has to deal with korean zombie, Edgar, Swanson the smothering bitch guida and plenty of other guys who could easily beat him.
2/21/13 10:50 PM
circulation123

gamer - Dana is becoming a tyrant

This is complete bull shit

I think it has more to do with Joe Silva than Dana but I could be wrong.
2/21/13 10:50 PM
Ocean6
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero - 
ausgepicht - 
Chaelismyhero - The number 3 guy in the fuckin world? What in the fuckin fuck is this shit.

All about the dollard, dollard, bills y'all. Has nothing to do with wins, losses, or decisions. Nothing.

Faber is a big draw.

This.

He's a fan favorite and the ladies love him, judging from the actions and reactions of the women I have watched his fights with.

Must be getting paid Faber money now and they want to pay him _______ money.
2/21/13 10:53 PM
armbarheelhook
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht -

dana needed to add a guest house for his live in housekeeper more than to pay fitch.

I guess with faber being cut possibly, he will have enough money for a bigger garage. :) lol Phone Post
2/21/13 10:58 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if so, frankie is next after aldo beats him

hes too expensive!

2/21/13 11:01 PM
da Vinci 81
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If this comment is being taken from the media scrum that was hardly the way it came across when Dana said it.

Faber's name was mentioned by a reporter and Dana gave a "who knows, he might get cut too" type answer but it certainly wasn't the ultimatum like it's being made out to be in the thread title.
2/21/13 11:02 PM
circulation123

junobeach - Guys on 2011 contracts are getting dropped for the new generation of TUFers on more manageable 8/8 contracts. UFC is not the money making machine it used to be

Yeah. I think UFC went too aggressive and over reached in going global. Every company has to do this. There’s time to be aggressive and invest: and then there’s time to pinch pennies and be conservative.

I think there’s a disconnect between core fans and general population. It’s always been there and I think hardcore fans know this but the gap seems bigger than the hardcore fans initially thought.

2/21/13 11:02 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
If he doesn't beat Menjivar, it's over.
2/21/13 11:04 PM
Drunkenirishfc
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What the fuck? Phone Post
2/21/13 11:04 PM
MasterofMartialArts
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard Fitch wanted Anderson Silva money. Phone Post
2/21/13 11:10 PM
Stigga
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did Dana really say it? I'm not sure Phone Post
2/21/13 11:21 PM
XcessiveZ

What the fuck is going on??? Phone Post
2/21/13 11:22 PM
Woodford Mike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he's truly going to cut 100 guys, there's going to be other big surprises. Phone Post
2/22/13 12:39 AM
Nub

This is actually good for other promotions. More a list fighters for them to sign. Bellator could use Urijiah. Phone Post
2/22/13 12:40 AM
Seraldo Babalu
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they're really culling the herd by 100, you just know Guida's gonna get shitcanned after his next loss.
2/22/13 12:57 AM
ThEUniT

All these cuts for a woman division and below 135 pound divisions :( Phone Post
2/22/13 1:10 AM
Golden_Monkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's bs that he would comment on him possibly being fired right before his fight Phone Post
2/22/13 1:21 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Faber loses to Menjivan at least he still has a second chance against Rousey.
2/22/13 1:30 AM
Standup29

All of these silly comments.

Guys got to win to stay. Simple. Keep losing and you can be cut. Everyone cries when fighters keep losing and don't get cut and now when they are getting cut its wrong?

I don't think some fighters should get cut but its really not hard to understand why some are. Fitch for example is on the decline and costs a lot more than prospects who are on the way up. Its not just his pay per fight that makes him expensive. Its insurance and other perks that add up. And when your not a fan favorite and not winning you become too expensive.

It sucks but its life. These guys are not in a secure career. They know the risks but like so many claim, there are better options. Bellator and WSOF are North American options. These guys will be fine. Phone Post
2/22/13 1:33 AM
bhealthy

Kingfanpaul -  I bet this is the deal for Faber
Loss = cut
Win = title shot Phone Post

you are probably right

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.