UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> L4/L5 disc bulge

2/22/13 12:42 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
12ealdeal
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys,

This has been a long process so bare with me. I have been out of commission (physical activity) since August. Initially had a knee injury, which cleared up in December, but from that brought upon a back injury. To which it's now been concluded I have "mild" bulge in my l4/l5 discs.

I'm grateful they are not herniated. Right? A bulge is not as bad right? I'm hoping given my age (25) my body will heal. I have to admit yes it can all be a lot worse, but during these 7 months of not knowing wtf was wrong, feeling unable to move properly and being so dependent on exercise as part of my mood/mind I was really worn out mentally, even depressed.

I had been doing PT and RMT during this time (again not knowing the actual problem) and put it on hold until I got this most recent MRI.

So given this conclusive finding of these discs bulges I reach out to my UG brethren.

Obviously everyone is different so i should listen knowing things that worked for some may or may not work for me. I'm just trying to help further my understanding of this injury and how it's managed from direct experience through you guys (google searches are tedious to search through)

What are your experiences with disc injuries. How did you treat them? PT, RMT, surgery? What changes did you make to your life? Diet? Type of exercise? How long until you felt better/normal? were you able to Become stronger After such an injury? how did you do it? what are some tips or pointers. TELL ME ANYTHING/ EVERYTHING.

Thanks guys Phone Post
2/22/13 9:51 AM
Genocide_Junkie
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had two bulging discs, like you, as well as a herniated L1. Rest and ice was the biggest thing right off the bat. I also got really depressed with my injury because I'm huge into exercise on a daily basis and I just couldn't do anything. Hell I could barely walk or put on socks without help. Doc had me taking Vicodin and Soma in combination and that was really the only way I could sleep comfortably. I never received physical therapy because military insurance sucked and never told me I was approved until it was too late. I ended up rehabbing it mostly myself. I bought an inversion table and that literally works wonders. I would hang upside down for ten minutes a couple times a day. Stretched my lower back and hip flexors twice a day. Walked for exercise and that's about it. Once the initial swelling and inflammation was down I stated seeing a chiropractor and it was the best my back had ever felt. The combination of therapy and adjustments he provided worked wonders. 3 years later my back still gets sore if I don't stretch on a daily basis. I can't really Deadlift at all because I won't be able to move later that night. The only Deadlift that works for me is sumo but that still kills my back. Also be careful with your diet because I ended up gaining a lot of weight during my injury. Hope this helps. Phone Post
2/22/13 9:59 AM
Genocide_Junkie
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry I'm on my phone and couldn't see the rest of your questions. Yes a herniated disc is worse. That happens when the actual bulging disc ruptures and its way worse. Life is fine now after I rehabbed it. If you're serious with rehab you could get yourself back to normal in around 8-10 months. I am stronger now since the injury. Can squat 400 and bench 315 when my numbers weren't anywhere near that before the injury. Phone Post
2/22/13 5:30 PM
12ealdeal

Thanks for the help.

I have looked into inversion tables. But have read mixed reviews on use WHILE having an injury like this. Like they are great tools when you are 100% but can add trouble to existing problems.

What brand do you have? Phone Post
2/22/13 5:52 PM
dizz
552 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12ealdeal -  Thanks for the help.

I have looked into inversion tables. But have read mixed reviews on use WHILE having an injury like this. Like they are great tools when you are 100% but can add trouble to existing problems.

From past MMA.tv threads the consensus is that Teeter Hang Ups are the best.

I'm looking into getting one as well
2/22/13 5:53 PM
12ealdeal

You mentioned you can't deadlift much anymore but then say your numbers are higher than they have ever been.

Am I missing something? Phone Post
2/23/13 12:38 AM
12ealdeal

dizz -

Again though.....is it good to use one while suffering from a herniated or bulging disc?

Or is it a complementary tool to ones regiment when one is back injury free. To help stretch in general. Phone Post
2/23/13 12:50 AM
turducken

look up the mckenzie method. basically, do extension exercises and avoid flexion
2/23/13 3:22 AM
Genocide_Junkie

12ealdeal - You mentioned you can't deadlift much anymore but then say your numbers are higher than they have ever been.

Am I missing something? Phone Post
I'm stronger now than I was but don't Deadlift now cause it kills my back afterward. I can Deadlift fine but the pain after isn't worth it. It's not a form issue just a back issue. Sumo is better than conventional but still not that good. My squat and bench are great though. Phone Post
2/23/13 3:24 AM
Genocide_Junkie

12ealdeal -
dizz -

Again though.....is it good to use one while suffering from a herniated or bulging disc?

Or is it a complementary tool to ones regiment when one is back injury free. To help stretch in general. Phone Post
If you have a bulging disc there is no reason why you can't use an inversion table. It takes pressure off the area that is inflamed. Phone Post
2/24/13 7:18 PM
12ealdeal

turducken - look up the mckenzie method. basically, do extension exercises and avoid flexion
Is there a specific mckenzie program? A google search produces many links with bits and pieces of the method.

Is there a program I could order/buy/download? Phone Post
2/24/13 8:19 PM
12ealdeal

12ealdeal -
turducken - look up the mckenzie method. basically, do extension exercises and avoid flexion
Is there a specific mckenzie program? A google search produces many links with bits and pieces of the method.

Amazing how there is so much info on the idea of it, but not much practical work/exercises/programs. Lame. Phone Post
3/9/13 10:15 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a L4/L5 disc bulge a few years ago and apart from the pain which is intense, I found I got very depressed with the injury. This pinched my sciatic nerve and I needed a nerve root injection of cortisone to help me. With lots of physiotherapy I have got back to a manageable level of fitness but never any squats or deadlifts again. Mackenzie stretches helped a lot as well. Phone Post
3/9/13 9:19 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've herniated L4 and L5 on three different occasions. I'm a judo and sambo guy. It's incredibly painful. My one piece of advise is do not get surgery, if you do it will eventually affect the disc above and below the surgical point. It's tough but gut it out.
I had chiropractic, physical therapy and massage therapy. Ice and I developed an intimate relationship.
Here is the good news for you being 25, I'm 56 and in 11 weeks I'm taking a team to Russia for a sambo camp. I have no lower back issues or pain.

Good Luck!
3/10/13 6:49 AM
MattB ATC
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12ealdeal - 
12ealdeal -

Amazing how there is so much info on the idea of it, but not much practical work/exercises/programs. Lame. Phone Post

The McKenzie method isn't just "do extension exercises and avoid flexion", although MOST injuries/derangements in the lumbar spine are posterior in nature and benefit from extension based therapeutic exercise. I would suggest trying to find a McKenzie trained therapist. They actually now have a certification process and exam once people have taken all of their courses. You can find a local McKenzie practitioner on their website: http://www.mckenziemdt.org/ Just choose which country you are from and they at the top of the website, there is a "locate a course/therapist" link.

I have only taken the 1st course in the McKenzie method, but here is some basic information on what you can expect if you visit a therapist who uses the method. They will evaluate your area of injury (low back in your case) and determine whether you have a derangement, dysfuction, or postural based issue. Majority of the time it is a derangement issue, which means you have some level of disc fluid shifted that is causing the low back and/or referral pain. If it truly is a derangement, they will then determine the direction of the derangement - whether it be posterior, posterior-lateral, anterior, or anterior-lateral. Based off of the direction and degree of the derangement, they will then prescribe the beneficial movement pattern(s). The progress of the treatment will try to centralize your pain, so if you have pain going into your leg or buttocks, the treatment will likely cause the pain to "move" more towards your low back and then eventually abolish.

McKenzie method treatments can be very beneficial for low back injuries, but other things to help include making sure the surround joints are mobile as well. So make sure your hips and TSpine are mobile enough so the lumbar spine does not have to make up for that lacking mobility. Also, one common suggestion that the spine orthopedic physician I work with suggests is to do a 3 day course of 800mg Ibuprofen 3 times a day to help settle the increase inflammation in the area.

Sorry for the long response. Hope this helps.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.