UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Ronda blows Brock out of water for media attn

2/22/13 7:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Professional sports exist not in a vacuum, but within the glare of media. During the 90s, when mixed martial arts got any mainstream media attention at all, it was of the negative, "human cockfighting" variety, an unfortunate occurence that has not entirely gone away.

Things slowly turned following the acquistion of the UFC by the Fertitta brothers and Dana White, in 2001. Mainstream media interest peaked with the entry of Brock Lesnar to the league, due largely to the interest he built through the WWE.

Now White says there is a new star, one that has never shone brighter in UFC history - Ronda Rousey.

“This is, without a doubt, the most media attention we’ve ever had leading up to a fight,” said White at Thursday’s UFC 157 press conference. “And when I talk about media attention, I’m talking about big time media. [Rousey] blows [Lesnar] out of the water. No fighter has ever fought in the UFC has had more attention than she has. It’s a fact.

“Honestly, going into this thing I didn’t know that would happen – that HBO and TIME Magazine and all these other outlets that never cover us would. And if they did, I didn’t think it was going to be positive. I thought it was going to be freak show. Nobody pulled the freak show card.”

What do you think UG? Has Ronda Rousey received more media attention than any UFC fighter before her?

Rousey defends her UFC women's bantamweight title against challenger Liz Carmouche live on PPV Saturday night. Catcht the weigh in today at 7:00 pm ET!

Read entire article...

2/22/13 7:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
3 Sided Square
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

probably right in the sense that Ronda actually plays her part in doing the media stuff. Brock seemed to hate it so even though more people might have covered him, he didn't contribute back and it wasn't plastered everywhere.

2/22/13 8:05 AM
Arachnoid
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then you live in a vacuum...there has been stuff everywhere.
2/22/13 8:20 AM
bonersaurus
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

C'mon underground news, you missed an opportunity for a "Ronda blows Brock..." headline. You guys are slipping. Phone Post
2/22/13 8:21 AM
gabemadrid
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She was even in the ny daily news lol. They were talking about her not wanting to do playboy. Phone Post
2/22/13 8:22 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

junobeach - I haven't seen anything about it anywhere other than here

Do you live in Narnia?
2/22/13 8:29 AM
emr7774
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RileyPust -

Do you live in Narnia?
Milk out of nose lol right there...VU tonight when a computer is available..thank you for a great start to my day! Phone Post
2/22/13 8:31 AM
40oztofreedom
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media was probably too afraid to get close to Brock lol Phone Post
2/22/13 8:48 AM
Rudi

*changes name to "Brock out of the water"* Phone Post
2/22/13 9:02 AM
Sofa King Cool
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen it much either except on here and the occasional commercial. Phone Post
2/22/13 9:19 AM
This screen name is taken

Nucky -

Unless Rousey is fighting Cyborg i really don't care.

This is how I feel. You can't believe everything Dana says he is a promoter first. Phone Post
2/22/13 9:32 AM
easedel

If Ronda came out when Brock was coming out, Brock hands down. He really brought alot of viewers to the UFC. Ronda is getting some attention but not the level he was getting & also there isn't much to give attention too.
2/22/13 9:37 AM
StratTone
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This

2/22/13 9:44 AM
buckshot44
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She did WHAT to Lesnar?

2/22/13 9:45 AM
buddie
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course she does! The "news feed" on this site is typically something like the following:

BLAF is furious with X
DFW's stance on global warming
Ronda's favorite ice cream flavor
Dana's feelings on pope resignation
Ronda smiles
White: What I ate for breakfast today part 1
2/22/13 9:48 AM
MMA4Hugs
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think it's true that Ronda has way more crossover appeal. She makes for a story that most people are interested in: "former Olympian is brash and sassy, making her way into male-dominated world of MMA"

But the problem is that I suspect that Ronda's appeal won't translate nearly as well into PPV numbers as Brock's did. All of Brock's fans were probably lined up to see how he'd do. A much smaller fraction of those reading about Ronda will buy the PPV, I suspect.

But, either way, the exposure for MMA is great. 

My two cents.

2/22/13 9:51 AM
Strykr619

dana is in spin mode, their is a reason why Brock didn't do media. HE IS ALREADY A KNOWN PERSONALITY. The UFC MADE MILLIONS with little effort.

Rhonda won't EVER dent Brock's PPV numbers.
2/22/13 9:52 AM
MaliceX
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whatever Dana
2/22/13 10:21 AM
havokk_15
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Laila Ali had a bigger push in th media than even Rousey is getting, and her PPV drawing power was abysmal. Christy Martin made the cover of Sports Illustrated, and realistically she couldn't draw flies.

Media attention and actual drawing power are two very different things
2/22/13 10:27 AM
MattBFD
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RileyPust -

Do you live in Narnia?
Don't know why, but this killed me!!! Phone Post
2/22/13 10:28 AM
MattBFD
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weren't Brock's fans already predisposed to buying ppv's? That could be a factor. Phone Post
2/22/13 10:36 AM
cheesesteak
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The explanation for this is quite simple...It's a fighting against all odds ll my life womens story...vs a goliath of a man who will smash anyone easily story...What do you think sells better?
2/22/13 10:38 AM
GarlicSauce

Now let's see if she can sell tickets like Brock did.

If she even does 1/4th as good as Brock, I'd be impressed.
2/22/13 11:00 AM
Ingrained Media
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brock's wife is going to be mad......

But seriously...

I think what we are hearing is this: This fight has the most ad impressions we have ever had.

What that means is: This fight has a shit load of impressions and we better convert those impressions.

Conversion is the key. While Brock may not have created a main stream media frenzy he got Yahoo and it is not much bigger than that. When we were facing him I remember ribbing a prominent media outlet that interviewed Shane but made the title more Brock related. He hadn't even spoken with Brock. I asked why would he downplay Shane after Shane made time for you and Brock did not, answer was his name guarantees 1M+ clicks to the site and Shane does not. Brock sold the product that matters. If impressions were more important then selling the product Rhonda might be bigger than Brock. Brock and Fedor is what gets Dana looking at Texas Stadium. Brock sold cards because he pulled a fan base that is not a MMA fan base. So if 500,000 were buying a PPV with a HWT Title 1M would buy based on Brock. Those numbers did not sustain post Brock because the fans that came were not MMA fans but they bought the product to see a WWE guy do it for real.
2/22/13 11:08 AM
kevsh
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is just more baseless hype by the UFC now that they've gone all-in with WMMA. Dana said months ago they were going to be force-feeding us Rousey 24/7 leading up to the fight. That doesn't not mean she's gotten more attention, just more promotion.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.